Last Sunday Morning

Last Sunday Morning

A Story by Christine Peters

Last Sunday Morning, around 11am, I decided I needed to go to my local supermarket Asda.

I set off on my mobility scooter. I found that the lower deck was completely shut off, as was the lift and escalator but all for good and understandable reasons.

So I decided to ride up the ramp that is normally used by motor vehicles. I encountered no problems as the traffic was less than none.

When arriving at the top deck, there were few parked cars but I did notice a very long queue behind barriers that went this way and that.  I encircled the area to what I thought was the end of the queue. I asked a nearby security staff member (of which there were many), 'Is this the end of the queue?'

He replied, 'Don't worry darling - just follow me!' In such a most friendly way.

He then took me down a separate barricaded line in which I had to pass by many very patient queuing shoppers.
 
I felt so guilty jumping the queue but kept on announcing 'I am only popping in for tablets!'

I then entered the store through the main entrance, encountering more security staff than at Heathrow Airport. I wondered was the reason I was allowed such priority because I was on a mobility scooter or my age or perhaps both!

There were very few people in the store but I floated on through heading for the medication section. I soon noticed that the store was sectioned off with even more barriers: for going in and coming out.

I followed the rules and made my way down the narrow barricaded aisle. It brought me out to the fruit and veg section so I ventured on to the medication section. Quickly found what I needed so now it was time to make my exit.

I did not think it worthy to go through the till section so decided to make my quick purchase at the tobacco foyer so I headed towards there.

As I did, I noticed many exiting aisles very busy - mostly with staff filling shelves. So I continued onto the clothes section - I mean who is buying clothes these days?

As expected, the aisle was free so I continued on en-route for the tobacco foyer. 

Alas.., I came upon the installed barrier so like a 'rat in a trap' I pursued up and down looking for a way out.

I then came upon a wide open exit swing door barrier and gulped for my freedom - but as I got halfway through.., the gateway suddenly closed leaving me and my scooter trapped in the middle. Not only that, but alarm bells were screaming.

Then one security man came running up to try and free me, then another and then a third.

They all finally got me free but then blamed me for going out an exit when it was only an entrance.

I kept on telling them that the gate was wide open so I sailed through. I mean if it was closed I would not have crashed through like in some war movie!

Not only that.., but with three security staff and me in very close encounters - it must have surely messed up their 'Social Distancing' policy.

In the end, I was glad to finally leave the whole area though still suffering some kind of shock experience. I think it will be long after this lockdown before I visit them again.

I have never seen this in-store barrier practice in any other supermarket I have visited during this crisis - and what's more.., I consider it to be highly dangerous in a fire situation where people like me would be caught like 'rats in a trap' when trying to evacuate a dangerous situation.

© 2020 Christine Peters


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on April 22, 2020
Last Updated on April 22, 2020

Author

Christine Peters
Christine Peters

Bournemouth, Dorset, United Kingdom



About
I am a female 70 year old. I love to write about 'truth and humour'. Kind of observation comedy scripts. I am published with my writing and cartooning as well. I am English and reside in UK. more..

Writing