I Must Not Tell...

I Must Not Tell...

A Story by Chloe

To tell: to notify, to announce, to reveal, to divulge, to disclose, to confess, is to finally comprehend…?

         To tell would perhaps even be to destroy, to change; lives, perspectives, opinions, and relationships, of others and myself. To tell would be for selfish reasons, rather than for self-respect. To tell would be for pride, for relief! for hope or possibility, for self-confession, perhaps even for laughs! After all, secrets are no fun, no use to us, unless they are spilt… but for spite, and at the expense of your own regard…? I could scream it from the rooftops! You have all been fooled! I have shared this precious secret as well as you…! But to no gain, for me or others; instead I keep quiet, bottle it up, and repress and secure it behind that door to my memory, absent-mindedly throwing away the key, trying hard not to think twice; it was wrong, it is hopeless, it is past.

To tell would mean release, rather than unseen internal self-destruction. Yet self-destruction is inevitable, even if I tell. Not to tell is self-control, self-esteem, belief, learning, coping… It is my secret, my mistake; kept safe in my sheltered world. I shall carry on, yet deposit it within the depths of my mind; keep it, secretly treasure it, and learn from it so not to suffer such future mistakes again.

Or will I curse it, forever regret it; unconsciously letting it sabotage this present and my future? No, although I am neither shallow nor particularly deep, I will still secretly admire you and suffer no shame from anyone except myself; a shame I can and will continue to ignore, as you are locked away in my head behind that wall of lies; in a box, carefully gathered and bound up, lost somewhere within the tunnels of thoughts, and left untraceable by passage of time, eroded away into a memory, a distant recollection. You become simply a number, or that extra little step or foothold which helped me to where I am now. I am discovered, obtained, in control – I no longer need to tell. After all, to tell would eventually lead me back to lies, denial of the truth, and I would wish I had never told…

 

© 2008 Chloe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

92 Views
Added on November 30, 2008
Last Updated on November 30, 2008

Author

Chloe
Chloe

Southampton, England



Writing
The Black Abyss The Black Abyss

A Story by Chloe


The Dinner Party The Dinner Party

A Story by Chloe