More Pt. 3

More Pt. 3

A Screenplay by camps
"

Part three of episode 1. Read the other parts for continuity.

"
More Pt. 3
By Chris Campos

-As class empties and everyone heads for their cars. Someone stays behind to talk to Perkins the counselor. It’s Amy. A gorgeous girl with long black hair and dark eyes. She has piercings and tattoos on her forearms. She approaches Perkins and asks him a question.-

Amy: So. That was a real informative class.

Perkins: Why thank you? You actually paid attention?

Amy: Yeah…

Perkins: I’m surprised. Most people don’t. They think I can’t see them f*****g with their phones in the back, but I can.

Amy: Well. Most of what you say is so interesting, I find it hard not to pay attention.

Perkins: Ah. I try and make it seem that way. You know it’s not easy teaching this stuff. I used to be an addict so I know most of you don’t wanna hear this crap. So I try to talk about things I think you guys would want to hear about.

Amy: You’ve done good so far. I have trouble organizing my thoughts a lot, so it helps having this binder to put it down on paper.

Perkins: Well that’s good. That’s what they’re there for. To help you better understand the concepts I talk about.

Amy: I just had a quick question.

Perkins: Yes?

Amy: These cards that you gave us. They’re color coded, so I have to take a drug test when?

Perkins: Whenever your color is called. See call this number here [points to the back of the card] everyday early in the morning and you’ll find out what the color of the day is. If red is called since that’s your number you have to come here and leave a urine sample and a BAC.

Amy: I have to leave a breathalyzer? Why? I don’t even drink.

Perkins: It doesn’t matter. You still have to leave one.

Amy: So what would happen if I tested positive for something?

Perkins: Then you get what’s a basically a warning. Get three of them and you’re discharged from the program.

Amy: What?

Perkins: You’re discharged. And if you’re here by a court order then you’re going to have to explain to the judge why you were discharged and probably face legal fees and a lot of other crap you don’t want to deal with. So I suggest, you don’t risk it and don’t do anything stupid.

Amy: Right. Well I was just wondering. Thanks, see you tomorrow?

Perkins: Oh and by the way Ms. Glynn. A missed drop when your color is called counts as a positive result, so make sure you call that number every day and don’t miss your drop.

Amy: [doesn’t say anything, just nods and walks out]

 

 -As Amy walks outside and lights up a cigarette. She sits down on a bench and looks up at the moon. While she sits there for a few moments thinking to herself she catches a whiff of something funky and hears a deep raspy voice come from the darkness behind her. As the light from a single ember glows in the thick darkness and a scruffy looking kid stumbles into the light from the streetlamps.-

Nathan: Want a hit?

Amy: What?

Nathan: Do you want a hit?

Amy: Do I want a hit of what?

Nathan: This fine herbage I got here? [he shows her his loosely rolled joint]

Amy: No thanks. I’m good.

Nathan: Are you? [he looks at her] That’s too bad? This is some really good s**t. [takes another hit]

Amy: I’m sure it is.

Nathan: So. What are you in here for? What’s your D.O.C.?

Amy: My D.O.C.?

Nathan: Your drug of choice.

Amy: My drug of choice? I like most drugs, but if I had to choose one. I’d probably pick Coke.

Nathan: So that’s what got you in here? Coke? What did you do? Did you get pulled over and got caught with some in your purse or something?

Amy: No. That’s not how I got in here. [with distain in her voice]

Nathan: I didn’t mean to be rude or anything. You just look like someone who does coke.

Amy: How are you able to smoke that s**t anyways?

Nathan: Well you know doctors nowadays, well some doctors anyways, ones that probably live in Washington or Colorado say that this stuff is actually pretty good for you. Or at least it has its benefits. [in a sarcastic tone]

Amy: No.

Nathan: Well if you have cancer or have insomnia or something like that.

Amy: No, that’s not what I meant.

Nathan: What did you mean? [coughs]

Amy: I mean. Don’t you get drug tested weekly or something in this place? How can you smoke weed while you’re in rehab?

Nathan: First of all I’m not in here for weed. I’m in here for huffing. Second of all, it’s not mandatory for me, it’s voluntary.

Amy: What do you mean?

Nathan: I mean I’m not in here because I got arrested or anything. I voluntarily checked myself in here.

Amy: Why?

Nathan: Because I could feel it. I could feel it all spiraling out of control. I would do more and more. Until I was doing so much, I couldn’t even get a high off of it anymore. So I would do even more. I think the night I hit rock bottom was the night I woke up in the hospital. The bright lights were the only thing I could see at first. I thought I had died. Until I realized I wasn’t dead, not yet. Then I looked down and saw my family all sitting in that hospital room staring at me. But it wasn’t anger or worry in their eyes. No. It was the look of disappointment. Shame. Like they weren’t even worried about me dying. Because I was doing it to myself. I couldn’t stop. That’s when I decided I needed to get help.

Amy: So. Has this place helped at all? Or is everything still spiraling out of control?

Nathan: Well Perkins has a lot of interesting things to say in his class. I you actually listen to him. So yea it’s helped a little. Plus it helps meeting other people with similar problems.

Amy: Yea. I like knowing that I’m not the only who has major problems right now. But I have a question?

Nathan: Yea what?

Amy: aren’t you trading one problem for another?

Nathan: What do you mean?

Amy: I mean. You said you were addicted to huffing cans, so I assume you stopped when you came here. But aren’t you doing the same thing with pot.

Nathan: Well…

Amy: Using it to escape from your crappy reality. To feel something other than numb all of the time.

Nathan: Yes. I guess.

Amy: That’s not gonna help you get better. Doing something that only masks the pain you feel instead of confronting it. You’re just conditioning yourself back to an addictive personality. And remember [as she leans in close to Nathan like she is going to kiss him], like Perkins says [she grabs the joint out of his mouth takes a big drag] you’ve gotta break the cycle on your own. Not with more drugs. [She takes the joint with her as she walks away]

 

-          {Timbre Timbre, Demon Host} starts to play as Nathan watches Amy walk away to her car. She waves as she drives off. He takes another drag off his cigarette and throws away the rest of his pack away.-

 

End of Episode

© 2014 camps


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on October 22, 2014
Last Updated on October 22, 2014

Author

camps
camps

IL



About
I'm a current student. 22 years old. I love to write in many different styles. I've been writing since I was a little kid. It's always helped me, just getting my thoughts out there. more..

Writing
The Dark Woods The Dark Woods

A Poem by camps


More More

A Screenplay by camps