Ariel's Tempest

Ariel's Tempest

A Story by colson32
"

A reimagining of Shakespeare's Tempest from the perspective of the spirit Ariel.

"

The sun, high in the sky, scattered its rays across a lone tropical island surrounded by the rich blue water of the Mediterranean.  Seabirds circled the island, hunting for fish near the shore, and on the sun soaked beach lay a man holding his child, exhausted after washing ashore.  Not far inland was a small clearing, covered in sand, with a mysterious tree in the center.  This tree stood out from the rest on the small island.  It was small, malnourished, heavily knotted, and only had a handful of leaves sprouting from its branches.  But the most peculiar thing about this tree was what existed inside it, a small magical spirit who was eager to be freed.

I have spent twelve years trapped in this gnarled, horrible excuse for a tree, thought Ariel.  It has been years since that hag Sycorax locked me in this tree.  How could I be so stupid?  Even with all my magic abilities, of which I lent to that hag, that terrible hag, I cannot break through this cellulose prison.  In this tree.  Forever.  But I guess it could be worse.  I could be helping that hag do her evil deeds on this wretched island with her ugly son Caliban.  He never even knew I existed.  He actually thought his mother was magical!  Ha, the fool.  But what does that say about me, stuck in this tree by my own doing?  Speaking of this, I have not seen Sycorax in years.  Only that wretched Caliban has sauntered by, so maybe that hag is finally dead.  I truly hope that is the case.

“Wait, what was that?” Ariel asked aloud, making noise for the first time in nearly three years.  Those trees are moving, and Caliban never comes from that direction.  Could this finally be my chance?  

Out from the forest walked a man whose skin was pale, a tone lighter than any Ariel had ever laid eyes on.  He looked young, with short brown locks of hair covering his head and matching brown eyes.  He was haggard from events that had recently transpired.  In his arms lay a sleeping baby with hair color and skin tone that matched the man.  They were wet and covered in sand, and the man looked around the clearing, exhausted.  “HEY, SIR!” Ariel yelled, instantly waking the baby, who filled the air with screeching cries.  “Please please please come help me sir.”

             “Who said that?” responded the man, looking frantically around him, seemingly startled and very unsettled.  “Where are you?”

             “I am here, in the tree,” Ariel responded frantically.

             “Wait, you are inside this tree?” he said, slowly approaching Ariel’s cell while trying to quiet his screaming child.  “What are you?”

             “I am Ariel, a magical spirit.  I once served an evil hag name Sycorax who lived on this island.  Or at least I think she is dead; I haven’t seen her pass this tree for over a decade.  When she was exiled here by men from her home, I confronted her and found her to be a friend.  We worked together for many years, created many great structures on this once barren island.  Then one day she confronted me with a terrible task.  She commanded me to kill those that abandoned her here.  When I refused to do that or help her with anything further, she grabbed me and before I could react she somehow trapped me in this tree.  I have yet to figure out how this happened, or find a way out.  I need you, kind sir, to come break this tree for me, and it is my suspicion that then I will be free.”        

             “If you say so,” he responded sounding rather confused, setting his child down nearby in the sand.   

His skin is so light, I wonder where he came from, how he got here?  Maybe I will find out when I am finally free.  

He walked over to the thin, dying tree, and grabbing it with both hands, broke it where the voice was coming from.  Ariel came flying out, a little glowing white ball of energy, shooting for the sky.

             “Woohoo!” Ariel yelled.  It felt so good to finally be free, to finally move through the sun-soaked sky once again.  “I’m free, I’m free, I’m free!  Thank you so much sir, thank you.  You have freed me from my eternal prison, and for that I will do whatever you say for as long as you live.”

             “Anything?” the man responded, surprised, hope showing in his face.

             “Yes, anything.”  I cannot believe I am finally free.  I never thought this day would come.

             The man looked down at his child laying in the sand as ideas exploded in his mind, then turning back towards Ariel, He responded, “I’m Prospero.”

 

Many Years Later

             Lightning cracked as a large wooden ship navigated the sea just off the coast of a mysterious island.  The waves were larger than many of the sailors had ever seen, and from below deck the company of King Alonso emerged to help the sailors fight off the tempest Mother Nature seemed to be throwing at them.  Unknown to them, it wasn’t mother nature mounting the assault, but the tiny spirit, Ariel.  

I know not why Master Prospero wanted me to torment these poor sailors, or even how he knew who they were when I told him what I saw, but he seemed more excited than I have seen in years.  Ah, when my lightening lights up the sky I can see that nosey Miranda admiring my work.  Well she does not know of my existence, so I need not worry about her suspicions, but I will inform the master.  I have done things like this before, and this certainly won’t be the last time, so these sailors will be safe.  If they got harmed master Prospero would be furious, and I cannot have that right now.  I am too close to freedom to screw up.  He wants them on the island, confused and separated, and so it will be.  I cannot believe I pledged my powers to a foolish mortal again.  It always starts off so well, but they always come to believe themselves to be magical.  Sycorax tried for many days after imprisoning me in that tree to kill those men who stranded her on this island with magic, but she never did succeed.  I heard her wail in despair for three days after, and that was the last of Sycorax I ever heard or saw.  She realized that I was her source of magic, but never did free me, and now she is dead and I am free.  But now I am trapped once again, forced to take orders from a mortal who is believing more and more that he is magical.  Here is my chance to fix this mistake that I made so many years ago, and I must capitalize.

 

Ariel was observing Prospero as he talked to his daughter Miranda when he seemed to motion as if he wanted to cast a spell on her.  Good thing I was near, thought Ariel, as he put Miranda to sleep like Prospero wanted to do himself.  I cannot have him thinking that he isn’t magical or he may never free me.  

Prospero turned around, looking pleased with himself, and yelled into the sky “Come Ariel, come my servant.”  Immediately out of the lush jungle canopy came his spirit servant.  

“All hail, great master.  What task do you have for me today?”  This is weird.  I am actually excited to receive orders.  Never have I felt like this, but the promise of freedom has certainly raised my spirits.   

“Did you do as I asked?” Prospero said sternly.  

Well, thanks for ignoring my question, oh generous master.  “Why yes I did, every part of it,” Ariel responded.  I always do.  “I tricked them all.  They thought it was a real tempest tearing apart their ship.  But don’t worry sir, everyone is okay, even if they do not believe so themselves.  I have split the son from his father, the king, and many of the rest I have stowed on the ship until you need them.”

“Good, good Ariel.  Performed exactly as I wanted.  But there is more work to be done, and if you continue to help as you said you would so many years ago, I will grant you your freedom.”

“But sir, haven’t I done enough already?  I have been doing exactly as you asked for many years with no complaints.  Please sir,” Ariel pleaded.  Maybe, just maybe, I have done enough to earn my freedom already.

“Do you forget what torment I freed you from?  Do you forget about Sycorax, that foul hag you have told me of time and time again, who imprisoned you for twelve years before I came and saved you?” Prospero questioned sternly.

Of course I do not forget you fool!  I guess that did not work.  I will continue to do what you say, master, but do not think to lie to me, or I will make sure you are stranded on this island until the end of your days.  That is my promise.  “No sir, I do not,” Ariel responded, acting sullen.

“Now you will do as I ask.  Be invisible to everyone but me.  Follow my directions, exactly as I say them, and after two days I will set you free,” Prospero commanded.

“I will sir.  Thank you, sir,” Ariel said, flying up into the open blue sky.  I must go check on the prisoners to ensure Prospero’s plan will continue to run smoothly.  It is only a matter of time until he finally leaves.

 

I must put these men to sleep to ensure my master was right in his suspicions.  Ariel quickly approached the group, who were sitting in a small camp they formed on the white sand beach.  I will play some music to put them to sleep, and then watch what conspires.  Ariel’s solemn music filled the air around the group, and many quickly fell asleep.  Now all are asleep but two, and they seem to be Antonio, master Prospero’s brother, and a man named Sebastian. Prospero said to be mindful of this Antonio, for he stole master Prospero’s duchy.  No way, this cannot be happening.  Just as the master thought, it seems Antonio is convincing Sebastian to kill the king that is in their company.  If I let this event occur this will throw master’s plans off completely.  I must stop this or I will never be free of Prospero’s oppression!  As the two men stood up, drawing their swords, Ariel flew over to Gonzalo, one of the king’s men, and whispered into his ear, “My master through his art foresees the danger you are in and sends me to keep you and your subjects alive, or else his project dies with you.”  He instantly awoke, and shaking the king awake, instantly foiled Antonio’s plan.  The king’s entire company awoke, but in the confusion did not catch on to what was about to occur, sparing both Antonio and Sebastian.  I cannot believe those two still live, but it no longer matters.  My job is done; I should inform the mast of what has occurred.  These events may force him to change his plans, but as long as I get freed it is no different to me.

 

Two Days Later

As Ariel passed through the sky he once again heard the calling of Prospero and redirected instantly to meet with him.  Perfect, he wants to speak with me and I him. Time to finish his plan.  “Master, I am here,” Ariel stated. “What is your command?”

“I have been so busy directing you over the past two days that I had nearly forgotten about that foul beast Caliban and his conspiracy against my life, but now is the time that we need to deal with them once and for all.  If we do not, they may interrupt the final stage of my plans.  This is not acceptable.  Where did you leave them when you last dealt with their schemes?”

“I left them drinking and charmed, my master,” Ariel responded.  “They have not done anything since I last laid my eyes upon their drunken bodies.”

“Go retrieve them, my spirit, and direct them to my house so together we can stop their conspiracy before it becomes more of an issue.”

“I go, I go,” responded Ariel.  Now to find Caliban.  Soon I will be free, just a few more tasks to complete.

 

Ariel and Prospero moved to their positions, waiting for Caliban and the two members of his conspiracy, Stephano and Trinculo.  The band of three entered the house, passing by a solid wooden door that Caliban had crafted and carved himself.  They walked upon the hard rock floor, smoothed by Caliban’s hand, and past the swimming pool that he too had dug out at Prospero’s command.  The roof, which was made of many layers of leaves from the trees to keep the rain out, was also laid by Prospero’s now traitorous slave.  Sometimes I feel pity for him, thought Ariel as the group moved into her trap.  But then I think about who his mother is, what she did to me, and how even when she was gone he did not come to help me.  But I have served for long enough, so even if it does end Caliban’s servitude as well, I must help Prospero out of here.  I cannot let this conspiracy succeed or Prospero will lose another throne instead of regaining his original.  Good, they have finally made it into the wardrobe. Now to use my magic to stop this once and for all.  Ariel created many spirits in the shape of dogs and sent them forth to chase the group.  The group was caught off guard by all the commotion and barking, and seeing the pack rush straight for them, retreated out of the house and into the forest.

Prospero emerged from his hiding spot and exclaimed, “Great work Ariel!  Exactly as I had hoped.  Now that they are out of my hair we can finally finish this plan.  How fare the king and his followers?”

“I have kept them confined together, and charmed, exactly as you had commanded.”

“Good, go fetch them.  I will release them from their charms and my plan will be complete.”

“I will fetch them, sir.”  The plan is finally coming to a close.  Thankfully my magic alone was enough to deal with Caliban and his band of conspirators, confusing and scaring them into submission.  Now to fetch the king and be done.  It is comical that he still believes he charmed the king and his men.  Don’t worry master, I will release my charm from them, and you can continue to believe in your own magic.  As Ariel sped away to fulfil the final task, he heard off in the distance Prospero say, “I will break my staff, bury it beneath the ground, and drown my book.”  That fool.  He also believes all my other magic is his.  Well no longer.  After I complete this final task I will be free once again, never to pledge myself to some wretched mortal.  When they command me and my power they never use it for good.  Never!  Well, you live and you learn Ariel, so do not forget this lesson again.  Here is the ship, now to take it back to master Prospero.

 

“I have returned master, and with me I bring the king and his men.  Now you may remove your charm from them and allow you to be reunited.”  Ariel removed his charm from the king and the rest of the company in sync with Prospero’s actions so he would not get suspicious and moved off to the shadows to watch what was about to happen.  Ariel sat there thinking, it seems that after a little while, the king recognized who Prospero is, and will give him back his duchy.  That is great.  They can finally leave this island and go back to where they came from.  And it seems that even though Antonio abandoned his brother, Prospero is forgiving him.  I never thought I would see the day where master Prospero would forgive anyone.  Finally, they are now preparing to leave, and that is my signal to set them off back to sea.   

 

The final task is now complete and everyone who came on the ship is now reunited and sent home along with Prospero and Miranda. Many of these people have not seen each other since I first separated them using the tempest I conjured up at master Prospero’s command.  Prospero, rightfully or not, got his duchy back from his backstabbing brother Antonio, although I never was told the full story.  Ferdinand and Miranda confessed their love before some king of some far away land, likely where all these light skinned people came from, and it seems like they will be married.  Must not be the same place as Caliban and Sycorax, but I no longer care, for now as I send them back to sea I am free, never to deal with their kind again.  Well what do I do now?  I can do anything in the world, magical or not, and yet none of this is interesting.  There, I think I see a different ship cresting the horizon.  It does not look like the ship that brought Sycorax from Algiers, and is certainly nothing like King Alonso’s.  These new people seem rather interesting.  Maybe they have decided to come to my island.  And if not, I will just force their ship to crash like I’ve done before.  I am in need of a new master, so let’s see what they have to offer.

© 2016 colson32


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on December 2, 2016
Last Updated on December 2, 2016
Tags: The Tempest, Shakespeare

Author

colson32
colson32

Madison, WI