Leah's Gift

Leah's Gift

A Story by Len Jeffrey
"

A little girl gives what she can

"

LEAH’S GIFT


Little Leah was in trouble now. She heard her mother’s voice calling her and she didn’t know what to do. Hurriedly she scrambled to get as much as possible into the box and slid it under her bed. There was no time to put the rest away. She sat back onto the floor while all around her were clippings of her hair and some of her doll’s as well. There was a roll of tape, a couple of brown paper bags and a pink ribbon. It was too late. Her mother was standing in the doorway with a shocked expression on her face and her mouth was wide open.

“What have you done and what are you doing with my scissors young lady?”

Leah lowered her head.

“And the cellophane tape? And-and your hair! You’ve cut your hair! You know your father and I have told you many times not to go into the kitchen drawer and touch those things. They’re sharp and you can get cut.”

She bent down and picked up the items from her daughter’s bed.

“Now you clean up the mess and put it into the garbage. You are grounded young lady.”

“But Mom I-I was…”

Abruptly Leah stopped speaking.

“That’s all you have to say? I am very disappointed in you young lady. You stay in your room until your father gets home.”

Leah’s eyes instantly teared and the moisture rolled down her cheeks like tiny twin waterfalls. It was a sad and touching sight but her mother had to be strict with her daughter. Who knows what harm Leah might have done to herself?

When Leah’s father came home and he found out what she had done he went up to her bedroom and sat down on her bed. Leah had fallen asleep and her father gently woke her.

“Leah,” he whispered.

Leah woke up rubbing her eyes. Her father looked smilingly down at her.

“Your mother told me that you were playing with the scissors and you cut some of your hair off. Why did you do that Leah?”

“I wasn’t playing with the scissors Daddy. I was being very careful with them. Mommy’s birthday is coming really soon and I wanted to give her something that she really needs.”

“And what is that Honey?”

She explained everything to her father and he took her by the hand and walked her downstairs.

“Well, did Leah tell you all about what she had done?” his wife asked.

“She did and Leah promised me that she would never touch the scissors or remove anything from the kitchen drawer again without our permission,” her husband answered. “She said that from now on she will ask one of us if she can borrow them.”

“Leah,” her mother began. “You know that Daddy and Mommy love you very much are we are always thinking about your safety. We don’t want you to be harmed in any way. Scissors are very sharp and they can be dangerous.”

“I know Mommy. I will never do that again. I promise.”

“I really don’t know what you were thinking,” her mother said sternly.

“Mary, let’s forget about all of this for now and have our supper,” Leah’s father said as he gently touched his wife’s hand.

That evening in their bedroom Leah’s mother brought up the subject again.

“John, you did remind Leah that she s grounded and isn’t to come out of her room tomorrow, did you?”

“Honey, she meant well and I know that she won’t be doing that sort of thing again. Let’s try not to be too harsh with her. Besides, there was no harm done except for a little bald spot on her doll...and herself.”

“Do you think this all very funny?” his wife asked.

“No I do not. Remember that I told you Leah and I had a very long talk and I will tell you more in a couple of days. Now get some rest. We both know that you need as much rest as possible before going to the hospital next week.”

It was three days later and the three were celebrating Mary’s birthday.

Her mother had just opened her husband’s gift when Leah suddenly ran to her bedroom.

“Where is she running off to?” her mother asked.

“Just be patient. I do believe that our little five-year-old girl has a birthday present for her mother,” her husband replied.

His wife was truly perplexed. Down the stairs ran Leah with a small box wrapped in brown-coloured paper. There was a pretty pink ribbon tied around the box.

“Here Mommy, this is for you,” Leah said as she handed her mother the gift. “I did it all by myself. I know that you can use it.”

Leah’s mother first removed the ribbon and then the brown paper wrapping. She pulled the cellophane tape away and opened the box. When she saw its contents her eyes welled up and she was overcome with emotion.

“Why are you crying Mommy? You told me that when you come back from the hospital some of your hair might be gone. You said that it happens when the doctor gives you special medicine to help you get better. I wanted to give you some of my hair so that you wouldn’t feel funny.”

Leah’s mother reached out and grabbed her daughter. She held on to her for quite some time.

“Is this why you had the scissors and tape in your room the other day? You were planning to give me a birthday present?”

“Yes Mommy. I thought it all by myself.”

“But Honey, why is some of this hair yellow?”

“Oh that’s my doll Suzie’s hair. She wanted to give you a birthday present too.”

THE END



written by Leonard J. Jeffrey ©July 22, 2021


© 2023 Len Jeffrey


Author's Note

Len Jeffrey
Please write to me at [email protected] to let me know you have something to say about this short story and I will come back to WritersCafe to see your review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on February 21, 2023
Last Updated on February 21, 2023
Tags: a little girl's gift

Author

Len Jeffrey
Len Jeffrey

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada



About
I got the writing 'bug' late in life and I cannot stop. I also try to write longer fictional stories but all of my stories have turned out to be short. Maybe 5000 words maximum. more..