On the Water

On the Water

A Story by Rachel

It was a freezing cold morning.  The air was damp and cold, the sky a drowsy gray.  My oversized rubber boots rubbed against each other and squeaked as I followed behind my uncle along the dock.  The dock lurched and rocked as small waves came up and pushed against its side.  I looked down between the cracks in the dock and watched the waves dissipate underneath.  I walked unsteadily, wary of the creaking boards.  Catching up with my uncle, I grabbed hold of his hand to steady myself as we walked to his boat.  His little skiff was tied near the end of the dock, calmly bobbing up and down with the waves.

The wind had begun to pick up, whipping my hair into my face.  Stepping into the boat, my uncle turned around and lifted me in beside him.  We hadn’t exchanged any words since we had arrived at the bay.  He zipped up my coat all the way to my chin and pinched my nose.  His hands were huge and rough.  Untying the boat he started up the motor and pushed off from the dock.

The icy morning was enveloped in fog, the morning sun glowing ever so slightly through it, a pale orange.  The boat got faster and faster, spraying water to the side and bumping up and down on the waves.  I leaned over to the side of the boat and dipped my hand in, cutting the water as we raced past.

As a coastline appeared inch by inch my uncle slowed the boat.  We neared the beach and fog gave way to tall dark trees looming above and a grassy sand mounds.  He beached the boat and I hopped out, looking back at where we had come from, no longer visible through the fog.

© 2016 Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've not read much of your work but I can't help but appreciate your imagery in all of them. I love how you can always set the scene so well. Beautiful, really.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rachel

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That means so much to me :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
1 Review
Added on July 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 5, 2016

Author

Rachel
Rachel

Portland, OR



About
I love any and all criticism. If you ever have a chance, I write here: tender songs.com more..

Writing
Unfinished Unfinished

A Story by Rachel


Sleep Sleep

A Poem by Rachel