I Did Not

I Did Not

A Story by Rachel

There was no light in the church.  The sun had set and the lights had been turned off, leaving an eery look.  Slowly, the congregation lit up, candle by candle, until the whole crowd of people were glowing.  The flickering light cast shadows on the walls and the faces of strangers.

Packed shoulder to shoulder they stood, clad in black, surrounding a thick dark box.  My friend stood by its side, clinging to it, her knuckles white.  Her mom stood behind her, one hand on her back and the other beside her hand on the box.  I stood beside them quietly, looking around at the people I hardly recognized  Strangers, they were strangers to me.

I peered up at Mrs. Deirdre again, her hand still on her daughter’s back.  A tear trickled down her cheek and over the corner of her lip, shining in the glow of the candles.

I looked at my dad standing behind me, his face hard yet sad.  My mom cried as well.  I glanced at the face of a stranger to my left, a tear also on his cheek.  There wasn’t one on mine.

I looked at the long box again quizzically.  It wasn’t there the last service on Sunday. Where did it come from?  I leaned in closer but I couldn’t look inside, the top of my head barely clearing the edge.  My brother stood in front of me and stared down at the box.  He also cried.  I did not.

© 2016 Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOVE LOVE LOVE !! this was amazing, If you have the chance to look at my short story " Games " , id really love some feedback from you !

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rachel

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Your comment means a lot to me :) I'll be sure to check our your writing.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
1 Review
Added on July 5, 2016
Last Updated on July 5, 2016

Author

Rachel
Rachel

Portland, OR



About
I love any and all criticism. If you ever have a chance, I write here: tender songs.com more..

Writing
Unfinished Unfinished

A Story by Rachel


Sleep Sleep

A Poem by Rachel