Acatalepsy

Acatalepsy

A Story by Court Douglas

The back door whispers goodnight, and you slip outside. You decided to leave your towel at home, so your swimsuit and bare feet leave you vulnerable. Nevertheless, your toes start to chase the ever-dimming moon down the asphalt. Five blocks later, you are truly home. Your blackened feet dance down the stairs until your feet reach the sand. And the beach is yours. From the moment you run fearlessly to the frigid water, and submerge yourself in the curved wave, you’re no longer who you once were. As the heavy surf rolls over your head, you feel aware. Alive. You were thrust from an world of indignant, linear information to the beauty of the unknown. When you are underwater, you follow no path. Your back curves behind you, and your legs kick in circles. Every so often, you’re enriched with foam that sprints forward, faster, then slower, to the shore. The wave kisses the sand and then falls back away, and you lunge off the bottom to dive back down again. You belong here, even though you can’t come much, but you feel the magic when the water brushes through your hair, welcoming you home. Despite the fact that there’s no oxygen underwater, that your lungs aren’t satisfied, your soul is: you can breathe so much better down here.

© 2013 Court Douglas


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."
~Confucius

A great job as the writer to let us 'see' the beauty. Amazing piece, as always :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


well expressed.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on January 22, 2013
Tags: Beach, Second Person, Water, Swim, Oxygen

Author

Court Douglas
Court Douglas

San Diego, CA



About
. Since childhood, I have been trained to watch the world, and maybe writing allows me to do that. It's my outlet and my passion and my Saturday night date. There are bad minutes-and days and wee.. more..

Writing
Library Library

A Story by Court Douglas