Fly Boy, Thats what we knew him as

Fly Boy, Thats what we knew him as

A Story by Shadow Walker
"

Read it you might like it You never know. I thought of it as I was Fishing I restored it THANK YOU GOOGLE

"

It is said to this day that He can still be seen down by the river his Navy Ball cap With his bomber Jacket on. And those Gold Pilot's wings still Glisten in the sun every time. They all knew him as Fly boy or Killer. He was thirty five when he passed. He was a Fighter pilot for the United states Navy for Six years. The Fishermen never knew him by his first name they Just Grew to call him Fly Boy . He would fish when ever he was on leave or whenever he was on vacation. He always wore the same jacket with the same ball cap. He never Bragged and never did he tell a story unless asked. Unless the children would ask him " Mr. Do you fly planes" He would reply, "Why yes I do I fly the Fastest Fighter Jet in the world." The children would be curious of course and he would tell them how it is to fly that High and that Fast.

     Fly boy lived a very fast life he loved to fish he use to say that it was relaxing the sound of the river and the fish jumping out of the water. But every time A plane flew over head he would look up and tell us what type of plane it was and what it does. We remember the time fly boy was down at the river and it was cloudy but it wasn't suppose to rain till the late evening. Well a thunder storm rolled in out of nowhere and it started to pour and pour before we knew there were tree fishermen in the river kilning to a rock. There waiters were pulling them under. Before we knew fit there was fly boy he threw his rod and he must of ran to his truck and grabbed a rope. Well Fly Boy tied one end to a tree and dove in up stream to meet them down. He Got to the and he tied the rope and told us to pull. He got them out almost lost his life doing it but he did it. When the paramedics came and the police they wanted his name, but fly boy was nowhere to be seen.

     Weeks passed and the river went down and there was fly boy with a new rod and we asked him why didn't you stay to take credit for what you had done. He replied I did it so Others may live, its not for me to take credit you would have done it for me too." Fly boy was came up and talked to us for awhile and we threw back a couple beers and well then fly boy spoke he said I might not be seeing you guys for awhile, I've been activated To go over there to the sand box." I wish you All well I be over there for a little more than a year. then he said as he was walking away May The wind always be at your back, mat the sun shine warmly upon your face, May it it rain softly upon your fields, May the road rise up to meet you, And may you Be In Heaven one hour before the devil knows that you are gone.

     Well two years passed and no one had seen or heard anything about fly boy until that one Saturday morning around Ten O' Clock when Six of Fly boys friends friends came down to the river they were dressed in there Naval Officers uniform. One of theses gentlemen spoke up and said are you the men that fly boy would talk about all the time. We thought oddly and said yes, Why? The man spoke and said you were very close friends to him in a silent way he always Enjoyed fishing with you guys and enjoyed the laughs and all of the good times you guys had down here at the river. Then one of us asked what happened to Fly boy. The man spoke and said "Fly boy was shot down over the dessert and was unable to pull out of the plane Sir, He was killed instantly." We spoke and gave our regards. We were deeply sadden but the men did not leave yet. One of the men asked us a question, " Fly boy requested that we scatter his ashes in this river in this spot and that we are to give you this His Ball cap and His Bomber jacket, Is it ok if we scatter his ashes in the river?" We o course said yes and then the men opened up the urn and we said,"WAIT." Please" The Officers looked at us in an odd manner. And then we formed a line and we each grabbed a hand full of ashes and we said a prayer and then we helped scatter his ashes. And as we were scattering his ashes the men in harmony began to sing Oh' Danny Boy and then amazing grace was followed. We asked the men why there was no normal military funeral. One of the men replied he never wanted one for the reason he said that fly boy stated that he was no hero, he wore no medals upon his chest. The men then handed us the Crisply folded American Flag and then we were compelled to ask yet another question Shouldn't this go to his family. Then the officer spoke once again and said He never had any family he thought of you as his family.

     The officers said there Farewells to us and as they were leaving we asked, What was Fly boy's name? The Officer spoke and said you never knew his name wow, His name is Then a plane flew over and the loud roar of the missing man formation was all that was heard. Damn we never knew his name to us We will always know of him as fly boy.

     Now there is a plaque that has been erected on the entrance of the path the leads to the river and the rivers name has also been changed to Fly Boy River. The plaque reads there once was a man only know by the name of Fly Boy Who went Down in the Plane So that we could fish in his river. He Once walked this path and shared our beer and lore now we have nothing more than the memories and and his aura.

     To this Day its is said that if you glance at the spot where Fly boy once stood to fish he can still be seen smiling and looking like he want to talk to you. To us he has never left us, he's part of the river now. His Flag is displayed in the local hunting and fishing lodge along with his jacket and his hat with the exception of the patches we each took one and they are now worn on our Fishing Vest with a memorial patch to fly boy. We never knew his real name but what we have found out do to records His First name was something Like Danny but we will always know of him as Fly boy.

© 2008 Shadow Walker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Shadow Walker
Shadow Walker

Willoughby, OH



About
I am a Line cook, nursing student, , a Writer, Poet, and I am a Romancer. I was Raised to be very open minded and that I am my views and my feelings are like no other. I believe to live life to the f.. more..

Writing