Just The Two Of Us

Just The Two Of Us

A Story by creo_scriptor
"

Short story based on a guy head over heels. Sucky summary...but I can't say much in case I spoil my own story. Enjoy :)

"

It was dull on the other side, but the chill of the glass against her tear stained cheek was somewhat comforting.  Closing her eyes, she inhaled a deep, shaky breath and concentrated on focusing her thoughts.


She remembered leaving classes for the day, heading to her car, saying goodbyes to friends. She remembered fumbling for her keys, dropping her books in the process. She remembered shy hands reaching down to pick up the books and timid, guarded eyes meeting hers as she looked up in surprise into eyes which darkened, like a candle being blown out by the wind.


Then everything went black. Everything was so fuzzy, like someone was playing with the contrast of her mind. Sighing, she pulled her knees to her chest and looked around the room. It was pretty much empty, minus a chair and a disgusting accumulation of dust bunnies in the far away corner.


Light poured into the room. Her head snapped up, eyes growing wide as dust stirred up into a choreographed dance, bringing a strange sense of life to the room. She scurried into the corner, failing to entrap the sob that escaped her lips as the figure closed the door behind him. He walked toward her in slow, careful steps. He crouched in front of her, and smiled. A gesture which could have been friendly, maybe even loving, but that smile would be burned into her mind forever.

 

***


“…and it turned out the killer was really her best friend! But personally I would have made it, like, her boyfriend or something. ”


“Adrian -“ Thomas tried, clenching his fists when Adrian persisted in talking, faster if possible.


“…and that demon! Ugh. Character development was terrible too. Don’t you think?” Adrian turned expectantly to Thomas, who was rubbing his temples.


Oops, he had rambled again hadn’t he? He couldn’t help it really; once he got going he couldn’t stop. He had been up almost all night deeply analysing the movie plot, and ways it could be improved. By morning he was buzzing at the thought of talking to Thomas about it. Apparently Thomas wasn’t so keen on the idea. Adrian turned guiltily to him, going to apologise, but was cut 

off when he began to speak.


“Dude, do you think we could just...walk in silence for a bit? I have a killer headache.” Thomas begged. Adrian could have sworn he had a hangover.


Why was he with people other than me?


“Fine. Have it your way,” Adrian snapped angrily. He strode off, leaving Thomas behind.


Thomas groaned, rubbing a hand over his tired eyes. He had no idea where Adrian got his energy, but jeez, he could change his mood like the flick of a switch.


Adrian immediately regretted walking away; he didn’t mean to get so angry. Especially at Thomas.


***

In class, Adrian couldn’t concentrate. He fidgeted and stared at the letters on the board, his eyebrows knotting together as he tried to process the information. Nothing. Adrian let his eyes wander around the room, raising an eyebrow at a group of guys sitting near the back of the class attempting to stick a piece of paper to the kid in front. He couldn’t quite make out what it said, but he doubted it would be something nice.


Then he saw her, quietly standing up. Emily. Beautiful, kind, honest Emily. Her eyes sparkled in the dimly lit room, her curls swayed as she moved, and best of all, when she saw Adrian, her lips curled into a loving smile. Adrian swore he felt his heart hit the floor and bounce back up into his throat.


Images began to cloud his mind. Of the days when he would glance longingly toward Emily, wishing that one day she would notice him. Then when she began smiling and talking to him, reasons Adrian still wasn’t too sure about but was extremely grateful for. And of the day Adrian realised he was in love with her.


Adrian snapped out of his dream when one of the guys he noticed earlier stuck his foot out from underneath his desk, in Emily’s direction, sending her flying. Obviously the class erupted with laughter, but Adrian’s feet were moving before his brain could function, almost running to Emily.


No, wait!


“What the hell do you think you are doing?” he growled.


“Um…excuse me?” the guy scoffed, turning to Adrian and looking mildly pissed off that someone had dared to stop him.


“Pretty sure you heard.” Adrian stood his ground, crossing his arms and narrowing his eyes.


What? Shut up!


The guy rose to his feet and moved into Adrian’s personal space. They glared at each other for an unconscionably long time before Adrian felt a light hand on his arm. He unwillingly dragged his gaze away to see Emily.


“Adrian, walk away. Please.” she looked desperately into his eyes. Adrian just couldn’t argue with her. Heck, he practically melted under how close she was.


“Please.” she repeated.


***

“She cares; she actually cares about me, and my safety!”


“No, she doesn’t care about you! You’re just an obsessed freak. No one could love you.”


Adrian stared furiously. Was this guy determined to dash all his hopes and dreams? Well, he wasn’t going down without a fight.


“Emily cares. She loves me, I know it. She just can’t admit it in a public place like school. I…I have to get her alone. I have to make her see that I feel this way about her, so she knows it’s okay to tell me.” Adrian laughed at the genius plan he had come up with, “This is brilliant!”


“You’re insane. Nothing you do is ever right. Just face it, you’re a failure.”


“No!” Adrian screamed at this other man, tugging at his own hair, violently shaking his head and squeezing his eyes shut, “I’m not a failure. And I’ll prove it.” He took a step closer, “You’ll see! They’ll all see! I can do this right.”


“You’re wrong.”


Adrian slammed his fist into the man facing him, watching his face shatter and the blood poor down over him. A satisfied smirk spread across his face when he saw the blood transferred over 

to his own knuckles.


***

He had done it. He had gone to school and school had ended, and then he followed his plan.


She was here, and this was actually happening. Adrian began to blink back happy tears.


Adrian walked up the stairs, feeling satisfied when he heard the soft click of the key turning in the door. He entered her room, and was determined not to leave until they confessed their love.


Adrian took his time walking toward Emily, attempting to calm his racing thoughts. He knelt down in front of her and took her hand. He smiled, raised her hand to his mouth and lightly placed a single kiss to it, breathing in her sweet scent.


“Emily?” he whispered against her smooth flesh, “I love you. Say you love me too? Because I know you do. You tell me with your eyes, Emily, every day. We can be happy. No one will ever know.” Adrian gazed up adoringly through his eyelashes, waiting for her reply.


***

She couldn’t. Adrian stared at her like he could see into her soul. She was terrified. Why me? A broken cry escaped her lips and as she closed her eyes to pretend this wasn’t happening, the tears began to fall.


***

Adrian’s heart swelled. He was right. Emily did love him like he loved her. He put his hand over her chest to feel her racing heart. Adrian couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face as a single tear rolled down Emily’s cheek and a happy sob escaped her mouth before he pressed his own against it.

______


Fin.

© 2012 creo_scriptor


Author's Note

creo_scriptor
Written as part of my higher English folio, hence the limitations on amount of text.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on July 12, 2012
Last Updated on July 12, 2012
Tags: love, mental health, short story

Author

creo_scriptor
creo_scriptor

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I'm Lauren :) more..