A Rocket and a Goat

A Rocket and a Goat

A Story by CrystalBluePersuasion
"

Dedicated to the brave souls lost on the Challenger space shuttle

"

When I was in 4th grade I lived in Spring Hill, FL (born in Roanoke, VA but we moved back and forth from VA to FL a few times throughout my childhood).

I didn't go to that school for long but I'll never forget my short stint there. It included one of the most life-changing days I will ever experience...I witnessed the Challenger explosion in person. 😥

Although it was launched from Cape Canaveral on the Atlantic side of FL, it was a clear day so we could see it all happen here from the Gulf coast.

I'll never forget us all gathered out on the playground in the back of the school. Everyone's necks bent back, eyes transfixed on the sky. The excitement in the air was palpable that day. The space shuttle Challenger was finally going into space! And this one was an extraordinary mission because it had not only astronauts aboard, but also civilians- one of which was a teacher, Christa McAuliffe.

The countdown to lift off had commenced. You could hear mission control on the news and radio as it was patched through the school's P.A. system 5...4...3...2...1... 🚀... off she went! She took to the heavens with such great might.

After a few brief moments of intently watching her launch into the chilly January sky, I remember a sudden feeling of confusion wash over my entire body. One minute the rocket and its boosters were trailing up, up, up into the atmosphere in what seemed an almost effortless, floating trail of hope for humanity. Then, merely seconds later- like a scene from some post-apocalyptic film- chunks of metal began spraying violently in every direction, accompanied by enormous blankets of billowing smoke as they slowly morphed the once hopeful blue sky into a menagerie of chaos and doom. Thick clouds of dust, debris, and tragedy as far as the eye could see.

I'm not sure if my mind fully comprehended what I was looking at but it didn't feel good. Suddenly, you could hear teachers begin to cry, while some wailed as if in agony. Others just stood in silent disbelief. Eyes as big as teacups. Jaws dropped wide open.

The whole school had been so excited, especially for the teacher on board. It was a special day for our country.

Once Mrs. Riddle told us what we'd just seen and I could no longer deny it, I had no idea what to say or do. I felt like I'd been punched in the gut or like I'd eaten something bad and was going to be ill.

I remember the principal closing the school for the rest of the day. The bus ride home is a blur. I was probably numb with shock, as so many of us were.

The next thing I can recall is hearing Snowflake as I exited the bus. That was my pet goat's name. I ran all the way home as fast as my nine year old legs would take me. I just couldn't get to her quickly enough. It felt like an eternity. What a comfort she was to me when I finally arrived. Little Snowflake was my saving grace on one of the saddest days I've ever endured.

She used to bleat in protest when I'd leave for the bus stop in the mornings. And as I mentioned- when I would get off the bus in the afternoons I could hear her "baaaahh, baaaahh, baaah-ing" with anticipation of my arrival. But I swear, on that dreadful day- she knew something was not right in the world. Or with me. Or both. Her cries were almost deafeningly loud. I spent way more time in that pin with my hoofed friend on January 28th,1986 than I did on any other day she was in my life.

Thanks, little one. You were such a cool soul. 🐐

© 2019 CrystalBluePersuasion


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1137 Views
Added on April 9, 2019
Last Updated on April 9, 2019
Tags: Challenger

Author

CrystalBluePersuasion
CrystalBluePersuasion

St. Petersburg, FL



About
Well, I was born in VA, grew up in FL. Joined the Navy right outta high school- got the hell outta there as soon as I could. I am currently working toward my Bachelors degree in English at USF. Writin.. more..

Writing