Salvation

Salvation

A Poem by Matt Cunningham
"

The possibility of finding everything in what seems like nothing.

"
She walked and walked down the road she thought was salvation
toward the ever expanding horizon where the light shone
It opened its arms and welcomed her home when her skin turned cold.

The sun spread across her face, turning her eyes from stoic green to amber gold
and the warmth penetrated her skin and into her bloodstream filled her body
with the safety and comfort of the home she had once known.

Her bare feet seemed to float above the pavement, but brandished the marks of each step she had taken along the way as she searched for a savior in the lonely desert of her mind. The wind shaped her black hair around her face, brushing her shoulders lightly in the ebb and flow of the unrelenting heat then cool offered as it passed over her in the yellow light.

Her knees bent to touch the hot, black pavement  on her right a white line stretched before her into infinity as she gazed upon the endless horizon, the distant sights morphing in waves as heat radiated from everything that surrounded her. She was fully alone, forsaken to endure the vastness of this place and of her mind without any means of escape.

The clear yet cracked nails on her fingers resembled the cracks in the dirt that surrounded everything. They scraped along the pavement, leaving but a subtle mark upon its surface which would easily wash away " a mark, much like her own existence, which was but a small scratch on the surface that eclipsed her very being.

As she looked to the dancing, radiating heat that stretched in the continuum before her eyes she saw everything that was and could be. She saw her own eyes and the meaning behind their gaze the cracks and sores on her feet which bore the scars of her journey thus far the silken black hair which swayed in the breeze, caressing her neck and shoulders with the touch of a love she had never known, and the cracks in her finger nails which proved that this had all brought her to her hands and knees.

In all of this she saw defeat. And in defeat she saw redemption. And in redemption she found salvation. In salvation she found acceptance. And in acceptance she found the life beyond this that she had known as struggle and despair.

© 2012 Matt Cunningham


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on September 4, 2012
Last Updated on September 4, 2012
Tags: new, alone, salvation, poem, 2012

Author

Matt Cunningham
Matt Cunningham

NY



About
A writer in his late 20's finding himself through short stories, poetry and prose. more..

Writing