Turn

Turn

A Story by Sophia Moosmann
"

I wrote this for a friend a while back as a part of a mini-series. I don't write romance but it fits well on her.

"

The door slammed behind her and for the first time in 24 hours, I was alone. I stared at my reflection; at the shiny lip gloss, the black eyeliner, false eyelashes, and white pearls. I was so beautiful but I just wasn’t me.

I dropped my head into my hands and forced back the urge to cry. “I can’t do this. I just can’t.” I whispered to myself. I looked back up at the mirror and I wanted to smash it. I wanted to break it into a million tiny pieces and scatter the glittering dust across the carpet but I didn’t. I didn’t, I just sat there staring into the mirror and feeling sorry for myself.

My precious moment alone ended as the door opened behind me and I looked down at the vanity. “I’ll be out soon. I’m almost ready.” I informed them.

“Hey, blue eyes.” I turned around at amazing speeds to see the owner of the voice. He was standing the middle of the white room. His hands were in his pockets. I felt a sudden release of tension in my chest, that adorable smile of his burst into full brightness.

“Chris.” I made a squeally sound I’d be embarrassed about later. I ran into his chest, nearly knocking him over but my arms around his waist stabilized him. He wrapped his arms around me. I couldn’t care less if he was crushing my perfect, brown curls because I didn’t want to break that moment. I wanted to make a home there and stay forever. He was just who I needed to see. He could make me strong enough to go through with this. He let go first. His hands slid down to my elbows, holding me out at arm’s length.

“You look absolutely stunning.” He shook his head slightly.

“I’m so glad you made it. You didn’t RSVP but we’ve got three courses and plenty extra food. I assume you want the fish, right?”

His voice got low and serious. “Blue, I’m not staying.” He dropped his arms, leaving me unconnected from home base, I could slowly drift away at any minute.

“What? Why not?” I stepped back, giving his words a little more space to hopefully change before they met my ears.

“They, um, they moved up my flight. I’m leaving right now.”

“Now?” I fell back onto the couch.

“I just came to say goodbye.” He said simply, like it was nothing but a business deal. I felt sick and so far away from the planet. “So… bye.”

“Don’t go.” I grabbed his arm as he turned away from me.

“Blue…” He looked at me like being here was tearing him apart.

“No. We can-we can go out there together and eat dinner and then tomorrow we can figure everything out.” I stood up and took both his hands in mine.

“Listen, Bella.” My real name sounded so foreign to his voice. “You, me. It’ll never work out. I love you to death, you know I do but… this is where you belong now. You’re going to marry your rich, handsome fiance and live in a big house with lots of kids and DAR meetings and dress fittings and, and… you’ll be happy.”

I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t want him to leave but he was right, this was the life I’d chosen, I couldn’t just go back on it all now with a simple ‘just kidding.’ Especially not tonight. Not at my rehearsal dinner, not with Joel waiting for me. Everything was such a mess and I just didn’t want to leave me alone. I stared down at our hands. He was wearing converse and for some reason that only made me want to cry more. He let go of my hands and I just let them drop like dead weight.

He brushed a curl behind my ear and left his hand on my cheek. “Bye, blue eyes.” Then he turned and left without looking back. I wanted him to look back. I wanted him to miss me.

I knew I had about 30 seconds and two choices. I could either pull myself together, do the respectable thing, and marry Joel or I could drop everything, throw caution to the wind, and go after Chris. Two choices. It’s no surprise that 30 seconds is not enough time to make a pro/con list or ask for advice or even decide whether or not you love someone.

I opened the door, stepped out into the foyer and looked both ways. Left world take me the table with fancy dinnerware, family, friends, and Joel. If I went right, it would lead out to the loop where Chris would be getting into a car that would take him to the airport. I looked both ways. I could hear my heart in my ears and feel it in my sweaty palms. I closed my eyes, took a big breath and I made my decision.

© 2015 Sophia Moosmann


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good writing! I love the attention to detail and the description is lovely. You really got me pulled in! I just wish I knew which direction she chose! You should continue this! I would definitely read it!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Added on June 4, 2015
Last Updated on June 4, 2015
Tags: romance, love, wedding, decision, mini-series, short, story, dedicated

Author

Sophia Moosmann
Sophia Moosmann

About
16 year old writer Writing is my breathing. "I've been in Hollywood Hills taking violet pills, writing all of my songs about my cheap thrills." more..

Writing
4 4

A Poem by Sophia Moosmann