I am From

I am From

A Poem by Penny for your thoughts

I am from kindness, hugs, gentleness and love.
Pecan trees, stinging bees, no TV and magnolia trees.
Encouraging words, an absent father, a sickly brother, a Godly mother.
Poverty mixed with abundance, peach pie, analyzing clouds in a clear spring sky.
Clean clothes hanging on the clothesline, watermelon in the summer time.

Helping neighbors, space heaters, homemade bread, and prayers before bed.
I am from red Georgia clay that once on your clothes was there to stay.
Grass-less lawns and sweet honeysuckle. Hot and lazy summer days.

 I am from walking to school, washing dishes in a sink,

 a claw foot tub and hardwood floors, hand-me-down clothes,

pinto beans and costume jewelry from my Grand-Mother.

 I am from mopping the design off of floral linoleum rugs that were paper thin and blindingly bright.

I am from one amazing winter spent in Macon with my Great Aunt and Uncle.

I am from special gifts from my Mother and her brothers, a hope chest, a Goldilocks watch,

 a change purse, $100 at my high school graduation.

I am from brothers who called me "sister".  I am from happy. 
I'm from Ask and it will be given, If the good Lord is willing, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Say your prayers, forgive others, mind your manners, watch your brothers.
I am from country living in a big city, redheaded woodpeckers and my Grandfathers’ hybrid roses.
I am from compassion and honesty, yes ma'am and no sir, falling asleep to a symphony of crickets and waking to my Mothers’ singing.
I am from lots of praying and trusting in God.
I am from Do as I say and Do as I do, Do unto others, Do for yourself, You can Do this, Do it right the first time. Do you know how much I love you?
I am from the school of hard knocks and the invisible privilege of a home filled with joy and unconditional love--
and for this amazing and priceless gift, I am forever grateful.

© 2017 Penny for your thoughts


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on July 12, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017




Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5