Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
A Downpour Of Useless Words

A Downpour Of Useless Words

A Story by Ben Taylor
"

A very short story.

"
A sigh breaks the purse of my lips.
I allow my head to fall back upon my pillow, my gaze shifting towards the window that is adjacent my bed, and out into the damp darkness. A stray raindrop shamelessly sacrifices itself upon the panes--the drizzle is a calming static. It sets the tempo to my frustration, my impatience. 
I glance back towards the open notebook in my left, its almost-blank page barely touched by the pen in my right. The pristine emptiness is marred by nothing but your name; all other words have eluded me. Every sentence that enters my mind is wrong, and I know they are wrong. How can this be put into words? The answer evades me.
Tires splash the summer rain into storm drains.
I underline your name, and then scribble it out. Dissatisfied with myself, I tear the page from the spirals, crumple it, and toss it at the slow spin of my fan.
I miss.
I begin again, carefully writing your name, ending with the obligatory comma. The vacant stare of the page challenges me; I draw a line down the center, simply to spite it.
I wonder if I actually have anything to say to you.
A fire-truck slowly passes by my window, its lights frantically flashing--after it passes, the streetlamp is all that illuminates the falling droplets. I stare into the night thoughtfully, feeling as demarcated as my now-divided paper. 
I never was one for making decisions. But, I thought this decision was already made; that's why I'm holding this pen. To explain.
The same fire-truck rolls by, now going the opposite direction, its urgent bursts of light again disrupting the night. After it passes, the only sound is that of gurgling drains quenching their thirst.
It seems I'm not the only one lost tonight.

© 2011 Ben Taylor


Author's Note

Ben Taylor
I enjoy including a significant amount of ambiguity into my stories; I feel it gives them more allure.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

Excellent. I like how you use the rain throughout to add to the impatience, frustration that you are expressing here. The ambiguity as you say does add to this a great deal, although for me only adds to the frustration you are writing about as I want to know who's name and what decision was made. The firetruck is very symbolic considering the tone of the write as well. And an excellent ending sentence....awesome.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This, just like all your writing, is absolutely fantastic.

I can't believe you said you need advice on your stories.
Why would someone as brilliant and talented as you need advice??

Have you ever gotten in contact with any publishers?
I don't really know about that kinda thing, but I know I'd definitely buy your stuff.
Luckily I get it on here for free :D

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2011
Last Updated on May 13, 2011

Author

Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor

Columbia, MO



About
Almost everything I write now is relatively real, so just read what I write and get to know me. more..

Writing
Stretched Stretched

A Poem by Ben Taylor