Unforgettable

Unforgettable

A Story by Richard Carpenter
"

A boy grows up on a Texas horse farm and wants to fly. He has the help of his neighbor Pat and goes into college to follow his dreams, becoming an astronaut and travel to Mars. Life gets in the way

"

Unforgettable

Author: Richard W Carpenter

           

Preview

It was difficult walking around this dimly lit graveyard looking for mom’s grave. I was late for her burial and assumed it would stand out as being the latest. The maintenance crew has been doing their job.  It seems all the graves look alike!  

I needed to squint in the evening light to read their names, but there she was, next to dad. 

Together forever I thought and becoming emotional wasn’t difficult.  The thought of them finally being together brought tears! 

A warm hand caressed my right shoulder in the midst of grieving. I turned to greet a dark figure that I had difficulty seeing. She stood outside the dim light’s reflection, and I could she had dark hair and the odor of-- Lilac. 

Odors have a way of boosting your memories and after a short time, it could only be…

“Patricia?”.

She enjoyed that I would remember her.

“Patricia!”

“It would be an understatement to say I had been away, too long.  

It was shocking how she had changed from that skinny little girl when we were both young to this gorgeous bloom of a woman, 

“I’m sorry Pat, I’ve been away much, too, long, much, mum!” 

Strange that lilac perfume didn’t smell that badly up close. As I breathed and filled my head with the aroma of... Then I realized we were in a graveyard! 

 

 Chapter One

 The Mailman Cometh 

I was the only boy growing up on a horse farm in Killeen, Texas. Flying was something I wondered if I would ever do.

 My mom raised me since my dad’s passing, before I was born. He gave me big shoes to fill, and with mom's help, I filled them, well!

 Growing up in Texas, it was inevitable that I would adopt the cultural traditions and the cowboy code. We had the horses and the gumption. My favorite job was riding the fence. Checking for damaged fence, runaways....

Trigger was my dad’s horse, and I would climb Granite Hills while taking a lunch break, under that old oak, and admiring the planes, that flew over. Sometimes talking to passing plains saying: 

“One day I’ll be up there.” 

Usually, Trigger was a great horse and could climb Granite Hills in the dark. Today was not a usual day, the sound of a rattle in the weeds was all it took to spook Trigger, throwing me down the rocky grade.

 The ground making up the hill was actually a granite outcropping on the border of our property. It wasn’t called Granite Hills because it was made of soft clay! 

   Screaming in agony, the pain wasn’t from landing on granite, as much as it was from twisting my left ankle as it caught in the stirrup, causing terrible pain as I was thrown. It was a horrible pain for a grown man, but I was a boy!  

  Trigger was smart enough to know what happened. It then lowered itself into a prone position and rolled slightly to allow me to grab the horn of my saddle. As my right leg gave me stability it allowed me to regain my saddle and return home slowly.

 Using my right uninjured leg for riding stability and leaning to my right slightly, I put on a brave face, and sat tall in the saddle! As tall as I could!

As a cowboy, I was expected to hide the pain. I drew in a short breath and reminded myself, 

“Cowboys don’t cry.” 

I rubbed Trigger’s neck in gratitude. 

 “Good Boy!” 

As I approached the ranch, everyone working had dropped what they were doing and called mom for help!

I commanded Trigger to move closer to the ground to get off, but Trigger was halfway down before I started.

“Down boy, down boy! ...easy!”  

I staggered to a standing position, holding Triggers’ mane. 

Mom had a confused look on her face and saw no reason to be concerned. With no blood or obvious wound, she sent me to bed, 

“Bed rest should fix him up, fine. First, I need to ask for help. 

"Lord, we ask for your healing hand to touch Jason. Ease his pain and comfort him in his distress. We know that in You, all things are possible. Please guide us through this difficult time and give us the strength to endure. Amen.”

After several painful minutes of lying down, trying to lie down and get comfortable with a sprained hip, I had to stand. I didn’t want to disappoint mom and thinking about the cowboy code of getting back on the horse that threw you.

“It really isn’t that bad, mom” as I limped outside to help Pat.    

  She was Patricia Moore. The daughter of our longtime neighbor, across the street. They knew about my chores and daily needs and wanted to help. 

She was a good little worker. Although, I wouldn’t have admitted it. She was twelve, like me.  

  Some days, when the work was done and on slow days, Pat and I would walk into town. Just like cowboys, even though I had a little limp in my walk. We headed for the feed store at the far end of town. 

  The store was empty, as usual, and we continued passing the stacks of fertilizer, horse and cow feed stacked in the storeroom. Pat noticed it in the corner and must have thought she was on an Easter egg hunt of sorts,

“It’s a table.” 

The storekeeper removed the cover, allowing the fertilizer dust to fall to the ground, and put it away as he smiled from ear to ear.  

“It’s the only billiards table in Bell County, and it’s at my store!” 

He placed the balls on the table from the tray underneath and tried showing us a few tricks. I was sore and had difficulty bending to make a shot! 

Pat and I would return often and become much better, as the storekeeper lost, eventually. 

Years passed, and I found it difficult to concentrate on the game, because Pat was no longer a little girl. When Pat made it obvious, I left the game early and checked the mail on the way back.  

Reading the mail was a family tradition, as it allowed mom and me to spend time together. I brought in the mail from the box and separated the “You won-” and the “Pay Me-” from the regular mail. I put the thick one into a separate stack as I brought mom the best part, 

“Well, aren’t you going to read it?” 

I hadn’t read the addressee, but the thick one was addressed to me and smelled of ink. 

Mom had put my name in a raffle earlier because she knew of my dream. She knew that it was an opportunity for me. One that could open doors and make my dreams a reality. 

I opened the shiny letter and paused. Mom was almost giddy with excitement, knowing what it might mean.

“Come on, what’s it say?”    

Quietly at first, mumbling the words before me, then shouting: 

“They want me to COME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AND JOIN THEIR ALUMNI!” 

“Hold on. Slow down. Let me read it!” 

She had mixed reactions as she realized what this would mean, and that smile of victory fell from her face. She stared into space as I celebrated by hopping on my right foot and showing Pat the letter,

“But what am I going to do?”

I gave her some lame answer,

“Pat, I’ll be here for Spring Break.”

 I still had some time left in school and found it easier to impress the teachers, as I had places to go and people to see. 

One day, my only concern was the class bully, Jake",  

“I’m curious. How can a cripple and a geek earn a scholarship to UT?”

“I was lucky! You’ll have to find someone else to aggravate.” 

He pushed me back, causing a stumble. 

“I am going to miss him.” I thought as I righted myself and left for biology. I bided my time until graduation...

Chapter Two

 Changing Locations 

Mom set out clean clothes for me that morning. She didn’t normally do that, but she may have been trying to avoid my calls for help that morning. Saving up her emotions for the bus station. It was something she didn’t want to deal with that early. As a result, I was ready before anyone that morning.

Mom, Pat, her mom, and I crammed into the family sedan and drove to the local station. Mom was sniffling, like she had a nose cold. Like she did before, long goodbyes.

As the bus was pulling into its dock, mom’s nose cold was winding up as they called to load:

Trailways is now loading bus 28 to Austin, Houston, Corpus Cristi, and parts South.”

   It was difficult saying my goodbyes that morning. I gave everyone a big hug and backed onto the bus, waving. 

The bus had a shiny glow as I hopped up the shiny chrome steps. The rumbling and the rattle of the idling engine motivated my excitement, but I saw that my enthusiasm had been misplaced. 

The bathroom was in the middle of the bus and as the seats filled, a line formed outside the bathroom. The door had the ability of opening at inappropriate times, giving everyone in back of the bus a peep show. The door would be quickly closed by the next passenger in line. It was a kindness for the person within, but for the rest of the passengers, it only accelerated the odor of fresh breakfast as it wafted through the bus. Everyone avoided any visual displays and didn’t look, but with the aroma, it was unmistakable! 

Most of the passengers had hand-held fans to circulate the breakfast tainted air inside the bus. The others opened their windows. The bus pulled onto the interstate and plumes of diesel exhaust came through the opened windows, replacing the breakfast aroma with almost-fresh air.


“This is going to be a long ride.”

   Feeling the vibrations under my feet as the engines drowned on the back-and-forth motion was enough to put me into a state of relaxation.

I half-dreamed of everyone waving and shouting as the bus pulled away from the station! It became difficult to relax as the weaving and bobbing slowed, and I was alerted by the crackling sound of the speakers as the driver announced our arrival. 

Good afternoon, ladies, and gentlemen, and welcome to Austin Station…” 

I wiggled my way with the rest of the de-bussing passengers.

 As I hopped down, I noticed how much cleaner the air was and drew in a breath of fresh air.

“Ahh…UT, here I come!”

There were many houses and roads that only caused confusion to a country boy! I wasn’t sure of how to find the school. The address of the school was in my hand, but I knew little of navigating in a large city. I need to speak to someone at the desk. 

The person at the desk had a unique look. She had rings over her face and curly blond hair, and a strong Jersey accent. Each to his own, I thought to myself, as I realized I was next in line.  

“Hello, I’m Teressa. May I help you?” 

 “I’m Jason and going to the University of Texas this year...as soon as I can find it! Could you help me?” 

“Oh wow, me too! You will find a bus going to the campus there,” 

She pointed to the corner bus stop. After you register, you can use your student card for free travel anywhere in the city! What are you taking?”

“Amah-, I’m not sure yet, but anything having to do with flight.” 

“Oh, Engineering! Me, too! I’ll see you there!”    

“Thank you, ma’am.” 

A City bus pulled up as I walked to the stop and a group of girls in skimpy bathing suits entered the bus. From their conversations, I heard they were returning from a UCLA swimming meet and had won. 

  The bus stopped outside a building, I learned later was the Student Center as the group of swimmers exited the bus. 

A group of people huddled together around a gentleman, who looked like he belonged there, I was interested in registration and resisted the impulse to follow the group of girls.

“Hello, and welcome to Texas University at Austin, one of the premier public universities in the nation. I’ll be the tour guide for any first-time arrival students. So, are you ready to become a Longhorn? We can’t wait to see what you’ll achieve here at UT Austin.”

  I followed the guide as he took the group of us to the Classroom Building, for our initial interviews. Making my way through the group of administrators and medical workers, signing papers, giving sweat, blood. They gave me documents and a map showing the location of my dorm and room. 

The pain in my hip was at a peak and getting-a-load-off was on my mind. It was late in the day and sleeping wasn’t hard! I awoke the next morning and realized that I had slept through breakfast but was on time for my Astro-Physics class. 

      The classrooms differed from the ones in high school, as there were rows of seats fashioned in a curved shape, as in a theater, and everyone would watch the instructor! I spotted Teressa. There she was, face full of rings. 

She was in the front row as she scanned the room. She immediately moved next to me, and I was surprised at what she knew. Those shiny rings on her face became less of a distraction.   

Mr. Potts was the instructor for the Astro-Physics class, as he welcomed us,

“Hello, students, my name is Mr. Jeffrey Potts, and I will be your astronomy instructor this quarter. Astrophysics covers a branch of astronomy that deals with the physics of the universe, including the physical properties of celestial objects. It’s about understanding the universe and our place in it!”

 I was impressed by the professor’s delivery but didn’t think I could use astrophysics until I learned of his past. 

He was a former astronaut who had walked on the moon. I became more intrigued and listened to him, as it became clearer. I should consider more than simply flight. The concept of flying was childish in comparison!  

  I spent more of my time studying and dating Teressa, then sleeping. 

  “I can catch up on the weekends,” I thought. 

She lived close by and would spend most of the time talking about places in Austin. I was more interested in UT and ask her for a tour around campus! Teressa agreed, but I learned more about her than the campus!  

I made it to Mr. Pott’s class before the door was closed. I hurried and made it in time. The odor of menthol filled the classroom! Like someone had a chest cold and brought the odor to class. Everyone sat, and Mr. Potts began, 

“Mr. Carpenter, you are driving a capsule weighing 100,000 Kg to a location in space 1,000,000 Km away! Approximately how long will it take if you start from Earth?” 

“That’s not as simple as it appears on the surface. You have the friction of the…atmosphere…”  

“Mr. Carpenter, are you alright?  

Chapter Three

 Medical Emergency 

  I had passed out and was rushed to the hospital. 

Mr. Potts stood at the head of the class and morphed into a fuzzy object, moving into a darker object. As my eyes became less blurry from the hours of unconscientiousness, I found that the darker ball was the doctor. 

“Hello, Mr. Carpenter,”  

She was reading from a clipboard and shoved a flashlight in his face, looking for things that doctors look for.

“According to your medical records, you had a mild stroke, and the doctor on call thought it best to place you in a medically induced coma. You were taken to surgery for that hip damage, as they weren’t sure if the hip damage caused the problem. So, in his professional opinion, he saw the beginnings of cancer and thought it best to remove your left hip joint and replace it. Also, they installed a headset.

“But I feel fine, look!”  

I attempted to get up, but my legs didn’t want to cooperate. 

“You can’t move your legs, because you’re still under sedation, anti-coagulants, and pain medications. You will be alright in the morning. You are feeling better because of the expert care and skill of the nurses looking after you. 

“Grab my fingers. Squeeze as hard as you can. Also, read that chart on the wall...” 

  Teressa stopped by for a visit. It was perfectly timed. I felt more like a rug and a mummy, as I was hungry for companionship with the bandages around my head and my hip. It’s always good to see her smiling face. Maybe it was all the bandages and the machines that I was connected to. It felt like she was hiding something. 

  I wasn’t prepared for what she had to say. 

“Jason, I can’t live like this. I mean, you’re a great guy and all, but…”

I felt stranded with a rod in my hip and this thing in my head! The room grew smaller. It was depressing to think that I had entertained the thought of going steady…An outdated concept.

“Cowboys don’t…”  

 It’s better to get it over while I’m here.  

The doctor returned, 

“Ahem! Well doc, what’s the diagnosis?”

I tucked my emotions inside because I wanted to avoid looking like an emotional punching bag. The doctor said,

“I want the nurse to do some testing. You know, blood pressure, pulse rate, respiratory rate, and you’re scheduled for occupational therapy in the morning.” 

     “Also, I need to say something. You aren’t the first UT student to be rescued because of overwork or abusing their sleep. Unfortunately, you won’t be the last! You can light a candle at both ends and get twice the light, but it burns out twice as rapidly!”

I was concerned about my time until graduation,

 “How long will I need to go to the OT doc?”

“Mr. Carpenter, let me know when you feel this!” staring at me like a doctor does.

She took one of her pens and touched the sharp end to the bottoms of my foot and tested several spots for a reaction,

“yes-, Ouch-, Ok-!” 

“Good. That’s good. ...Two to four weeks, depending on how fast you heal and the impression you make on the therapist.” 

I looked at her uniform and ID. She was Louis Rogers as she left for the next patient, 

“Thank You, Doctor Rogers.”  

I worked harder to make it back, and after several weeks of OT, I was doing better than the doctor had predicted.

I had the support of my teachers. They allowed some flexibility in finishing my studies. I returned to my responsibilities, quickly caught up with the rest of the class, and noticed colorful signs popping up: 

“Come to graduation practice on May 8th at 3:30 pm!” 

On the 8th, the winds were so strong on the assembly field, that it was difficult to make a straight line. With our robes waving in the wind, and hats flying through the wind.

Mr. Potts was helping, and Louis the Doctor was there, too. One graduate jokingly suggested that we put tape on our heads to keep our hats on during the exercise. Mr. Potts had a response for the graduate.  

“Someone's not thinking, if we taped our hats on, then we couldn’t throw them in the air, to mark the end of graduation!” 

  As far as practice was concerned, there was no need for our mortar boards. We placed them under our arms as we gathered in lines and Louis became overcome with emotion, frustrating Mr. Potts, 

“Save it, Lois. This is practice!”  

She pulled out a little black book and began reading to herself! 

Chapter Four 

Graduation Ceremony

  I felt like I needed give thanks for as far as I had gotten. The campus church was empty as I entered, except for a person standing at the pulpit looking a lot like...

"Louis? ...I thought you were the in medicine?"

"Sometimes I fill in for a friend! What can I do for you? "  

"I needed to talk with the guy upstairs." 

“Lord, I thank you for the blessings you have given me and the opportunity to find my direction…”

 “I trust in your plan for me, Lord. I know that whatever happens, you are with me. Amen.”

  The Texas sun was close to setting over UT and graduation was minutes away. 

Mr. Potts was excited and running around like a director of a big-budget movie, 

“Ok, people, this is it. Remember your lines.”  

Mr. Potts was scheduled to speak because he was the instructor of the highest-ranking student. 

   The PA system activated and buzzed momentarily as the announcer began the ceremony.

Good evening and welcome to the graduation ceremony of the class of ‘23! Please give me a show of hands, as I introduce the person whose presence makes it possible for of us to be here today, the President of the University of Texas at Austin!” 

As the president moved up to the podium, a graduation student, full of the college spirit, shouted from the audience,

“Hookem Horns!”

  “…You should all be proud of your accomplishments.

To the graduating class of ’23, proud parents, esteemed faculty, ladies and gentlemen. Today is a momentous occasion. The culmination of years of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. As the president of the University of Texas, it is my honor to stand before you and celebrate this significant milestone in your lives.” 

“You, the graduates, have shown exceptional resilience and determination. You have navigated the challenges of academia, forged lifelong friendships, and contributed to our community in ways that have left an indelible mark on our campus.” 

“To the graduates, as you embark on this new chapter, know that you will always be a part of the Longhorn family. Carry the spirit of UT Austin with you and never forget that what starts here changes the world. Always remember the words of Winston Churchill: Failure is not final, and success is not guaranteed; only by perseverance can we find genuine success!” 

The crowd screamed as his words echoed through the bleachers and down the row of trees that bordered the field.   

The announcer on the PA system crackled once more,

Now introducing Mr. Jeffrey Potts, the instructor of astrophysics and engineering program.”  

“Good evening, graduating class of ‘23 and my students, loving families, esteemed colleagues, and honored guests. Standing here as both your instructor and your graduation speaker fills me with immense pride and joy. 

“Together, we have embarked on a journey of discovery, growth, and transformation. We celebrate not the end of a chapter but the beginning of a new adventure.

“As your teacher, I have had the privilege of witnessing your curiosity, your resilience, and your unwavering pursuit of excellence. You have challenged yourselves, each other, and even me in ways that have enriched our classroom and our lives.

“As you step into the world beyond these walls, remember that the true essence of education lies in the continuous pursuit of knowledge and wisdom. Never stop asking questions, never stop seeking answers, and never stop believing in your ability to make a difference.” 

“To the parents and families, thank you for entrusting me with your precious ones and for supporting them every step of the way. Your love and encouragement have been instrumental in shaping these remarkable individuals.”

“To my dear students, thank you for inspiring me, challenging me, and reminding me every day why I chose to be a teacher… 

“The future is not just something that happens; it’s something you shape. Make it the best for all who follow! Thank you!” 

The setting sun caused the field lights to illuminated the audience and stage as Mr. Potts stepped down from the podium, the announcer introduced the student speaker, 

Please welcome a shining star to change the world: Suma Com Laude graduate, Mr. Jason Carpenter!”   

“Good evening, classmates, beloved families, esteemed faculty, and honored guests!“

“Today we stand on the precipice of a new beginning, a moment that marks both an end and a start. As the student speaker, I am humbled and honored to represent the voices, the dreams, and the spirit of the graduating class of ‘23.” 

“We began this journey as strangers. Each of us with our own hopes, fears, and ambitions. Over the years we have grown together, laughed together, struggled together, and triumphed together. We have become more than classmates; but family. 

“We have challenged ourselves to think critically, to act responsibly, and to live compassionately. We have learned to embrace diversity, to value collaboration, and to strive for excellence in what we do. 

“We have discovered that leadership is not about titles but about influence. Success is not measured by accolades but by impact. Greatness is not about being the best in the world, but about being the best for the world.” 

“To our families, thank you for your love, your sacrifice, and your constant support. You are our foundation, our anchor, and our home. 

  To my fellow graduates, thank you for the memories, the friendships, and the shared journey. You are my peers, my comrades, and my inspiration. 

“Go forth with courage, with humility, and with a relentless pursuit of greatness. Be the change we wish to see, the light in the darkness, and the hope for a better tomorrow.

“Thank you graduates and, Hookem Horns.”  

As I concluded my speech, the entire graduating class rose in a standing ovation. Then the Texas skies darkened as the graduating class of ‘23 threw their Mortar Boards up to celebrate. Cheers from the crowd filled the air. 

 We all experienced gladness and sadness as we realized that success in one area often means loss in another, as we all anticipated leaving! 

I’m sure the big winners today are the parents who watched their children grow from the awkwardness of growing up to reaching adulthood and higher learning.

One parent had brought fireworks to celebrate the day and create a memorable show of lights. 

“Serrrrrr... Boom! Serrrr… Boom, Boom, ...Awe!”

For several minutes the crowd was dazzled by the display.

  Mr. Potts wiggled through the crowd, dragging Teressa,

“Teressa graduated, Magna Cum Laude, and you, Summa Cum Laude, and formally, as students of the engineering program at UT, I’m recommending you both for the Astronaut Program at Houston! They have sent several people to escort you directly there.”  

Terresa had other things to do, so I was alone to travel to Houston.

The setting sun was sinking and lighting the stage with an orange glow! 

I was met by two employees of the Houston Space Center. The male seemed concerned about my grades, and the woman was really into her phone. 

As I got into the car, I found that it was possible to recline in the limo’s seat to a sleeping position. I laid in a fetal position and hopefully, with my attempt to rest, they got the message without being too rude.

Sleeping was on my mind, and it didn’t take long with the passing of the dark Texas landscape. The limo navigated through the night as I dreamed of old NASA TV space shots to the moon. I woke as the early morning sun peeked over the horizon and into the car, ruining any chance of sleep.

My first thoughts were: Where am I? It was answered by the large dimly lit white sign with the words: Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center and the text ,NASA National Astronaut and Space Administration!  

I arrived with my heart pounding to the beat of anticipation. 

The two assistants had awakened and were pointing out the important places for the driver,

“There it is…and…turn here”

 As the limo came to a stop, I opened my door to stretch my legs from the long drive down.

The people inside gave me another map of the important buildings.  I headed for the training rooms and inspected the machines and simulators that we will need to engage. I sat in one of the flight simulators, and a feeling of awe overcame me, as I ask myself, is this real?

After a few days and familiarizing myself with the training area it was time for training.




                       Chapter Five

         Old Friends in New Places


I must be early to training because only two are here, and as they turned to speak, I saw it was: 

“Teressa?” 

She had removed all those rings and apparently changed her mind last night and followed us here. She walked up to me in the training room,

“About the last time…” 

“...No let’s not go there!”, 

I didn’t want to open up old sores.

The next person introduced herself:

“Hello, I’m Irina Petrova. We’ll be working together”,

 As I was listening to Irina, the door opened, allowing another student to enter. 

I was speechless, because it was Mr. Potts,

“Hey, it’s good to see you! What happened, though?”

“Teressa needed a ride, and I thought, College life was getting a little dull and NASA is looking for engineers, so here I am.

“It’s good to have you.”, I said 

I didn’t think that anything could have surprised me after Mr Potts’ entry. But hold that thought. As the door opened, it was Louis,

“Jeffrey and I were cleaning up after the ceremony. Teressa asks for a ride. Jeffrey had already contemplated whether he should change his career path; the same had occurred to me, and, besides, you’re going to need a good medical teammate wherever you’re going!”     

The instructor had entered and was waiting patiently,    

“Excuse me, may I have your attention? You should all be acquainted by now! As your instructor, could I have introductions, please? Tell me a little about yourselves and what you see yourself doing!”

He pointed to the first seat. 

“Teressa Bixby, I’m from Austin, Texas, communications.”

“Jason Carpenter, from Killen, Texas. Maybe a leader.”

Mr. Potts was next. 

“Jeffrey Potts, I’m from Atlanta, Georgia, and a retired engineer of 25 years.”

 “Louis Rogers, I’m from Austin, Texas and I’m a doctor. I would also consider being a Flight Pastor.”

“Irina Petrova, navigation.” 

The instructor continued, 

“In a few weeks, after successful simulations, testing, and qualifications you will be making a trip that will redefine space travel, as living in space or colonizing will be a new discipline. 

“You will face and overcome many challenges that will demonstrate your commitment and passion to shaping the future! This will be a groundbreaking adventure, but it may also entail some risks. 

“Some of you may not come back, while others may stay and discover that evolution may occur faster than anticipated. That will be another challenge for you to explore and conquer.”

   “Welcome to the first day of training. Let’s go to the training area and try out some machines that you will use during your training.”

   The training room was large enough to house an Olympic-sized pool and a few full-sized mockups of the ISS, Orion, and the multi-axis spin test. 

The multi-axis spin test is used to simulate a craft spinning out of control in space. To successfully pass, the trainee needs to use hand controls to stop all three rings of this simulator, bringing your spinning spacecraft under control. 

“If that gets old trainees, then you can take a spin on The Vomit Comet.”

The T-38 Talon jet is used for flight training simulations and flying your spacecraft in the earth’s atmosphere.  

I needed to go to the local Airport to train on the T-38 to train for navigating the Space capsule if needed. I hoped my skills wouldn’t be needed, as I suited up with the trainer, at first. Following my instructor to the plane was exciting, noticing the other planes parked idling and the screaming sounds of the jets as they soared into the air.  

After we were strapped in and he showed me of the starting procedures. Then,

“Tower, T-38 1010, ready to taxi. Over.”

T38 1010, you have permission to taxi. Over.

 I was concerned that we were going in the wrong direction because I was seeing more trees and buildings than anything.  As we plane rolled toward the end of a runway and did a 180 and squared the plane up… 

“Tower, this is T38 1010, ready for departure. on, 019”

T38 1010, your current wind speed, 05 knots at, 30 degrees Southwest on 019, you are cleared for takeoff.

“Tower, cleared for takeoff on, 019, T38 1010 

My first taste of flite and that feeling of becoming part of the upholstery as the jet shot into the sky. After opening my eyes, it felt like a roller coaster ride without the need for rails. 

I was interested in all the dials and instruments inside. My trainer must have been trying to see if I could handle the extra G's. He executed as many high G turns and loops as he thought appropriate. I was glad I hadn’t eaten breakfast that morning and felt a little queasy. He allowed me to do a few controlled turns and dips, as I realized that I was flying and didn’t want to land. Only space travel was left.  

Although Teressa passed the T-38 trainer she needed help with the three-axis sim, and Irina passed it with no problems.

Jeff was an old hand at flying. He practically made his trainer say Uncle. The trainer was not impressed though,” 

“Time to land! ...Please!”

 Jeff aced the three-axis perfectly. 

 Louis wanted to quit, but Jeff helped her pass.  

Our instructor bringing us up to date on politics mentioned,

“The President and Congress has decided that the money that was ear marked for the moon mission would be better spent on the mission to Mars. 

“That will be all. Good luck!”  

It was necessary for a graduation party, of sorts. 

Jeff brought the beverages. Irina and Teressa brought hoagie sandwiches. 

I brought my appetite. 

Louis brought the emotions.

There was a bunch of eight ouncers for us drink to wash down the sandwiches. We turned into chow hounds and grabbed as much as we could shove in our face. 


Louis was hugging Jeff, and he was enjoying the effect that half a can was having on her. It was obvious that she wasn’t a beer drinker.

Louis stood up and raised her glass for a toast, with Jeff’s stabilizing help. In a slightly slurred voice, they toasted to their comradrey and success.

“Frhends, we’ve come a long way togethher. We’ve trained hhard, and now we’re ready to embark on this journey to Mhars.” 

As everyone became quieter, their attention focused on Louis, as she became more introspective. Prayer comes easier, with an 8 ounce brewski in one hand and a bible in the other. Louis held a respectful posture, with Jeff helping to prevent the leaning tower of Louis. 

“Lord, we ask for your guidance as we embark on this mission to colonize Mars. 

“Give us the wisdom to make the right decisions, the courage to face the unknown, and the strength to overcome any challenges we may encounter.

“May our journey be safe, and may our mission be successful. Amen”

Everyone echoed…

 “Amen” 

With our glasses raised high in the air. We were filled with camaraderie and anticipation for the journey.    

 Chapter Six

             A Call from Home 

An emergency call alerted me about mom being placed in the emergency room, with chest pain. NASA thought I should know. I thought,

 “She’s a strong old lady. I’m sure she’ll bounce back!”

Louis was still holding Jeff. He held an empty in one hand and Louis in the other, while reading something on the back of his eyelids. They took up half the classroom couch, as the party wound down. As Jeff woke he said,

“Are we going to make preflight…”

I showed outstanding promise in leadership roles and familiarity with all ship’s functions during training and was made Flight Commander or Captain. 

Irina showed excellence in navigation and her abilities to guide the Space Simulator. She was made the Pilot.

Jeff was happy as a clam of being Flight Engineer and support. 

Louis will be the ship’s doctor and pastor! 

Teressa was always good at radio, and computer services and was made a Communication and Computer Specialist!

Several days later, we woke to a cool morning. We had our pre-flight medical and suited up for a special ride on the official motorhome. 

It was more like a special bus with windows on the roof, with a great view of the craft that would get us there. With our portable radio… 

Artemis, We have sent a robotic crew previously to Mars to set up the base and temporary housing for the mission with supplies. Over.” 

"Control, copy that, robots to the rescue. Over"

Setting up our landing site and first residence on Mars will be plug and play, so to speak. 

  As the elevator lifted us to the capsule, I marveled at the new Artemis spaceship.

Then the assistant strapped us in and sealed the door on his way out! Sealing us in and dampening most sound, except for our ventilators and the partially muted fuel-pump filling our tank.   

 Irina stared at the displays while twiddling her fingers and playing with the joy stick she would use to control the ship down through the atmosphere. 

Jeff staired at the gauges and displays at his station. 

Louis mumbled, or maybe she was praying and using deep breathing exercises.

 I took a long breath, thinking about this moment, contemplating things we wanted to happen and avoided thinking of what we didn’t. 

The beckoning of the radio woke everyone from their quiet time...

Artemis we are at T-minus 90 minutes to launch. All systems are Go. How’s the crew feeling up there, Captain?” 

”We are eager, willing, and ready. The Artemis Generation is about to make history!” 

It was necessary to communicate with control constantly cryptically. It was routine and necessary, especially during launch.

“Artemis, we understand. We’re with you every step of the way. Over" 

“Roger that, Control. All crew members are strapped in and prepared for the journey of a lifetime!” 

Out of the blue, Teressa put her arm over her seat and reached out for my hand.

Artemis, we are at T minus thirty minutes. I need systems check. Over

My station displays showed that no warning lights were flashing, or buzzers were activated. Louis had all the health stats of the crew and looked satisfied. I got a thumbs up from Louis,

“Control, we have a green light on all systems. All systems are nominal. We are ready to launch, over.” 

Artemis, we are at T minus sixty seconds. Ready for launch, over.” 

I let go of Teressa’s hand as Control announced the firing sequence.

Artemis, we have T minus ten seconds -9-8-7-6-5-4- Ignition sequence starts, Rockets Firing-2-1- We have liftoff. The flight that will change man’s destiny in space and define spaceflight. 

I managed to control my emotions during the roaring and thrusting vibrations.


“Control, The Artemis Spaceship is on its way to Mars. We have liftoff, feeling the thrust. Over”   

For about thirty seconds, we experienced why NASA had shaped each of our seats to our personal body measurements. We had accelerated from o to thousands of miles per hour and felt like part of the upholstery.

The rocket engines roared, but under that high g-load, most of what you heard was your heartbeat, and hoping it wasn’t the last one.

      

Artemis T+ 30 seconds, report on the health of your crew. Over” 

Louis was the flight doctor and pastor. She knew the health of all the crew by checking the panel at her station that displayed all the vitals of the crew. Louis said,

“Control, Besides our increased heartbeats, all crewmembers are in top shape. Over.” 

Artemis, T plus 2 minutes, prepare for flight adjustment. Over.” 

“Control, flight adjustments are proceeding in 3-2-1-mark. Flight adjustments are successful; our path is true. Over.” 

Copy that, Artemis; you are looking good on ascent. Over.

 Irina was at her station,

“Approaching Max Q, Captain, ready to throttle down. Over”  

Max Q is short for maximum pressure on the ship as it passes through the atmosphere. Once it’s out of the atmosphere of Earth, we can throttle up! 

“Throttle up, pilot."

"Control, we’ve passed Max Q. Over” 

Confirmed, Artemis, T plus 2 minutes and 30 seconds, you are clear for stage one separation. Over.” 

It was Jeff’s job as the engineer to assist the pilot as he checked out the window to visually verify his instruments,

 “Control, Stage one separation is complete. Stage two ignition successful. Over.”, 

Copy, Artemis T plus 3 minutes, prepare for orbit insertion. Over.” 

We needed to get our spaceship in a planetary orbit and use centrifugal force to slingshot us toward Mars. 

 “Control, orbit insertion burn in 3-2-1- Mark. Burn complete; we are in orbit. Over” 

Our rockets stopped firing, then nothing…We were floating! It was the first time any of us had felt the weightlessness of space. Even though we had felt something similar in training, it wouldn't describe the feeling.

I saw that Terresa was crying.

Louis was still gripping her Bible.

This really wasn't new to Jeff, and he was more relaxed then any of us. 

I recalled the words of our instructor mentioning that some of us may not return, and wondering which one...    

Artemis, T plus 18 minutes, you are go for Trans-Mars Injection. Over

“Copy Control. Initiating burn for Trans-Mars Injection burn in 3-2-1-Mark. 

Injection successful. We’re on course for Mars, over.”         

Congratulations, Artemis, You’re on your way. Settle in for the journey, and we’ll be with you every step of the way, over.”  

“Thank you, Control! Let’s get to work on our mission task. We’ve got a long flight ahead!” 

Well, it’s time for a nap. 

“Control, We are settling in for our first sleep break. Over”

Copy Artemis, sleep break will extend to 1400 hours. Over”  

We all had to depend on NASA’s sleeping pills because of the excitement. 

As we traveled through space for many miles and took many sleep breaks... ...My Official NASA alarm watch woke me. 

“Alright. That was a nap, I’ll call control.”  

“Control, back online. Starting systems check and monitoring, over.”    

Artemis, approaching time for course correction maneuver. Over.” 

All the stars and planets will minutely tug on your craft. Traveling millions of miles, those tiny tugs can make a big difference, making it necessary. 

“Control, course correction in 3-2-1- mark. Course correction is successful. We’re on the right path, over.” 

Copy that. Artemis, keep up the good work, over.”  

 We were all suffering from cabin fever, of sorts. even though we trained to recognize confinement syndrome.

Teressa and Irina were exchanging negative comments. 

 Jeff wasn’t really helping things but moderated the two somewhat. 

Louis was reading her Bible.

It is amazing how tedious, sitting and waiting can be,

“Control, we’re taking our last sleep break before Mars decent. See you on the other side, over.” 

Rest well, Artemis, over.” 

The verbal comments discontinued as the pills started working. I don’t believe any of us got any sleep. As I closed my eyes, they weren’t sweet dreams I was having. We were less than twenty-four hours from our destination, even with the NASA sleeping pills I kept thinking about landing, which hadn’t been done before and how successful the pilot will be…

“Control; we’re awake and ready for the final approach. Over.” 

Welcome back, Artemis. Begin preparations for descent. Over.” 

Irina shook her head, as if to wake herself, and held a crossed finger up as she spoke. 

“Control, starting descent burn in 3-2-1- Mark. Burn complete. We’re on our way down. Over.” 

Control couldn’t see us well enough to help our descent, so Irina will be alone. 

Artemis, prepare a heat shield for descent. Over

It was Jeff’s job as engineer. This was his second time in space and was getting to be an old pro and doing his job,

“Control, Heat shield is in place. Ready for atmospheric entry. Over.” 

Irina notified the crew…

“Hold tight, entering atmosphere, Over.” 

Irina navigated through miles of the Martian fog. Lacking any sensation, except for the wind constantly blowing us off course rocking the craft and hearing little. She was the pilot and doing a good job,

“Altitude 10,000 feet and descending.” 

“Approaching landing site.”  

“1000 feet-500 feet-100...” 

The Martian winds played with our craft like a fly in a windstorm, but Irina navigated us through the fog and against the winds to the landing site like a pro! 

It was all that Jeff could do to keep his seat. He wanted to assist, as Irina announced,

“Brace for landing crew. Touchdown in 20…10…6…” 

We felt all of our collective masses stopping in a vertical direction. Which meant we hit something, or we had landed. I paused and joined the crew in taking a deep breath and thanked Irina for the miracle of landing safely, or…the planet for getting in the way. We landed next to the automated rocket that brought the bots.

Chapter Seven

Artemis has Landed

“Control, Artemis has landed. We are on Mars! We are on Mars. Over” 

Congratulations, Artemis; you’ve made history. Welcome to Mars. Over”  

“Thank you. Control, it’s an honor to be here, in one piece, over.” 

I looked at the lights and switches and made sure they were all either off or not blinking a warning. I checked the ship’s doctor, and she wasn’t concerned about the health of the crew, so I did a final systems check before exiting the craft. 

As it was dark and windy outside. We weren’t in a hurry and took every precaution before leaving our home-away-from-home.

We used a portable handheld radio for communications and exited the ship one by one. 

The Martian day was not as bright as a typical overcast Earth day. Mars was almost one and a half time the distance from the sun as Earth, but receives less than half of it’s light and there was less atmosphere to cause the sky to glow, as most of the sun’s light that made it was reflected back into space.

We stood outside the craft, as we all checked our breathers and supporting gear for the discovery of the surface. 

I assumed that I would see tracks from the bots navigating to the tube making a path to follow,

“Control, We’re not seeing any tracks for the bots that arrived here earlier. Did we land at the correct coordinates? Over.”

“Artemis, You have landed at the correct coordinates, We should have mentioned it earlier the bots are flying on the surface as they landed and only descend when they are needed, at the landing site. Didn’t think you would need to know since the proper coordinates will be loaded into your Sensor Pak. Over”

“Control, Copy that! Over” 

The surface was harder than expected and I had no issue with walking on the surface if the ground was like this. We looked around and marveled at the flatness of Mars and the one mountain in the distance. 

Irina immediately scanned her sensor pack.

“Jason, our housing is that way.”  

As she pointed her light towards the mountain. The winds on Mars had smoothed things, which made the sensory information valuable.

 We traversed the surface like a group of blind people, so to speak. There was no snow on the ground, but it was cold and windy. Even with our sealed suits we still felt the cold.

 “Beep! Beep! Beep!”

Irina said, “Yes, sensors tell us this is the place, Jason” 

  We approached what looked like an ancient Lava tube. It felt good to get out of the wind. We looked inside as we entered,

 “Already been furnished! There is enough room for us!”

Louis had a medical sensor, too. After waving it around and studying the table, she agreed, 

”Yes, it looks healthy enough.”

I brought the radio inside, placed it on a chair, and remarked to reduce the tension that was hanging in the air,   

“No bugs or rodents. We won’t need an exterminator” 

With no reaction, my tired crew sat on the camp chairs. 

Clouds of dust filled the air as we sat down and wiped the table. With a third of the Earth’s gravity, the dust lingered in the air longer than we cared, and I was glad for the sealed breathers that we wore.

 The tube provided some escape from the cold wind and dust that seemed to blow continuously! We needed to place the table in front of the entrance to slow down the dust particles.    

 After the Artemis spacecraft had landed and we found our housing, training told us that we were now a colony and used the, Artemis Colony, call sign. I thought it was time to call home,

“Control, we have successfully crossed the surface. Systems are nominal. Artemis Colony is secure and out of the wind. Over.” 

The Martian sun was now lower. We knew the best thing will be to try out those bunks. We really skipped that last sleep break, and we were marching around like zombies.

Jeff was the first to hit the sack was . 

Louis wanted to create a more private sleeping arrangement, and Irina and Teressa went along. They used tape and a blanket from the ship to create a makeshift curtain. 

  I checked my watch at three o’clock, NASA time. Even without the NASA sleeping pills, it wasn’t hard to find a comfortable sleeping position.

“Good night, people!” 

I felt a hum as I rested my head on the pillow and heard a ticking sound. As I focused my light on the roof of the cave, I could see a tiny crack that was dropping something that looked like liquid. 

The Martian atmosphere is so thin, it wouldn’t support any moisture. Any drips would have evaporated on the way down, but enough remained to make it to my nose. 

It was enough to keep me from getting any sleep. Fine pieces of the roof began falling. 

After a short time the hum increased to a noticeable rattle and the girls came through their curtain. The tiny crack was now larger and threatened a collapse, as the particles of the tube came down at a faster rate. 

The falling rocks reinforced the table that blocked our exit. I reached for the radio and placed it out of the way of the falling rocks. It felt like I was on a game show, I needed to answer the question before time ran out!

The inside became hotter.  While, I searched for another exit it became obvious why. An active lava flow seeping from the back of this previously extinct Lava tube! I thought, 

“Tic! Toc! Tic…”

The crack in the ceiling was no longer tiny. Enough water was seeping through to saturate the fallen rocks. It turned into ice before it could evaporate creating an impressive barrier at the exit. 

“Tic! Toc! Tic…”. 

Chapter Eight

NASA Bots

I thought about the bots. The instructor said when the bots had concluded their programing, they would park out of the way and hibernate, until needed. 

But, before I could finish saying anything, Irina read my mind and snatched up her sensor pack and attempted to communicate with the bots. 

Irina said, "Yes...Oh- No?” 

As she attempted to communicate with the bots. 


"The tube sides are too dense, and I can’t get a good connection!” 

I noticed the lava progressing. It was getting wider and closer up the tube. I thought, we’re not going to freeze to death, we’re going to be steamed then cooked to a crisp in a torrent of lava.  

“Tic! Toc! Tic…”.

She did make a connection with the bots because the bots were awake and knocking at our door, so to speak. They drilled through the barrier, allowing us to exit. This allowed for the lava to exit the tube, as well as freeze in the cold Martian atmosphere.

The lava contained enough stored heat after it froze to keep us comfortable outside. We fashioned a few NASA sleeping bags over the frozen flow, which kept us protected from the chilly wind until the morning. The girls didn’t need a curtain as much as a warm sleeping bag.   

    At sunrise the next morning, I was glad that I grabbed the radio, on my way out and thought, I should update Control on our activity and the need for new housing. 

Louis thought we had a better reason to be thankful and pulled out her bible, as we paused,

 “Merciful and Ever-Present God, we thank You, for Your protection and guidance, for leading us from peril to safety. In our darkest hour, your light shone brightly, guiding our path and strengthening our resolve. 

“In the Lord’s name, we give thanks and press onward, Amen.” 

I thought about how close we came to becoming part of the landscape as I picked up the mic.   

  “Control, Artemis Colony, do you read? Over.”

“Go ahead Artemis Colony, read you. Over.” 

“Control, housing is unlivable because of volcanic activity, can you help us relocate? over.”

‘Artemis colony, a new location is programmed. Good luck, over.”  

Irina’s sensors beeped after a few seconds of waiting.

“Beep…Beep!”

“We need to go in that direction.” 

“Crew, we’re losing Martian daylight. We need to make it to the new lava tube before nightfall.

 The temperatures here have dropped to a lower temperature than what we have been trained for, so we were wrapped in our blankets and waddled to our new destination.

As we approached an area that looked faster to cross. Because, It was free from rocks. We needed to get out of the cold. So, we continued in that direction and quickly, found the reason, there were no rocks, 

“Jeff, it feels like I’m sinking.” 

"What...wait Jason ill get you!"

Jeff laid down on his stomach with his arms outstretched. He grabbed my hands but because of the reduced gravity, I was pulling jeff into the quicksand, more that he was pulling me out. I continued to sink even with the help of Irina and Teressa.

I continued to sink like a ship in an alien sea. With the reduced gravity of Mars the hole slowly became wider and deeper, until it was a crevasse that could have swallowed us. When Jeff and the girls couldn't help Irina pulled out her Sensor Pac and rapidly called the bots in the area.

I squirmed and groped for an anchor, as the sound of buzzing filed the air, like a swarm of oversized bees. A rope was thrown down the hole and when I grabbed it .  

“Thank you!”

 I jokingly addressed the bot.

”Thank you…cowboy-rescue bots.”

“I know where you can make good money with that skill!”

 We avoided those areas free of the rocks. It definitely did not make navigating any faster.

“Beep, beep!”,  

Irina’s Sensor Pak alerted us,

“The lava tube is just ahead. We’re almost there.” 

I didn’t think I could walk much further when I heard a welcome sound from the sensors. That sound meant we had reached our location.

“Beep…Beep…Beep!”

 We had arrived and hurried inside. Anywhere out of the wind would have been great. Louis and the girls felt like homemakers and did their normal house cleaning, set up their privacy curtain, and put out the ‘Home sweet Home’ rug. 

“Control, How do you read? Over.”

“Artemis Colony, we read you. Over

“Control, we have arrived at the new site and are setting up the living area. Over.” 

“Artemis Colony, we’re proud of you. Welcome to your new home on Mars. Over.” 


Chapter 9: 

The Martian Environment

Martian evening approached as Olympus Mons cast a long shadow blocking out the setting sun. We inspected the surface around our home, as it was still a livable temperature. The stars were more visible as the skies grew darker.

 I looked for Earth and noticed that several of the stars were actually moving together. Maybe it was me! 

Jeff had a shrewd mind and recognized that the bots were created to be quickly modified into different configurations. He rebuilt several of the bots into personal transportation. Jeff had a larger vision and I could almost see those cogs turning in his mind. 

He built a pair of Martian bot cycles for traveling and carrying supplies from place to place. It was a freeing feeling to navigate the dust and sand like our own little motorcycle club We returned to the original landing site, installed by the bots, and discovered supplies meant for the moon mission. We piled on as much as we could carry.

“Maybe, this was part of the initial Artemis mission to the Moon and the bots didn’t get the memo.”

Jeff was a wiz at hacking their inner programing and had such an innovative mind. One of the bots had a monitor screen and at first Jeff thought of bringing it back home for something to watch. 

That didn’t last long, as he realized that to acquire a video signal, required that a video signal was being sent, by some place close by, or an unstable signal bounce from source unknown. We were far from one of those. At least the one that he was thinking...

“Artemis Colony, do you read?”

“Control, read you…”

“Artemis Colony, NASA has concluded its creation of the autonomous shuttle. Called Automate and you need to return to Earth. Your mother is in the Emergency Room with pains and calling for you.”     

I learned later that she had been having pains for months and kept it to herself. 

Several days later we heard the noise of this automated freight train sounding lander dropping in the field, next to us. It didn’t seem that different from Artemis except for obvious differences. I needed to strap myself in. Interspace travel technology has advanced somewhat since we first traveled to Mars and travel to Earth was, almost like a family trip to Grandmas. Well, maybe a little longer.

The acceleration of the Automate was enough to keep me in a sitting position. It also provided me an artificial gravity and was instrumental, as I exercised to move in Earth’s gravity. Then, I ate and watched old recordings of Gilligan’s Island as I rode the exercise bike. It took several weeks to get home, and I was getting tired of the Gilligan re-runs.  I needed to wait at the NASA Medical Center for a few hours or more for recuperation, so I arrived later on the trip back.

Mom had passed during an emergency surgery as I was coming home and missed the ceremony! 

I’m sure all of my relatives thought the worst. I got home in the evening and located the local graveyard.

Chapter 10

Homecoming

It was difficult walking around this dimly lit graveyard looking for mom’s grave. I was late for her burial and assumed it would stand out as being the latest. The maintenance crew has been doing their job.  It seems they all graves look alike!  

I needed to squint in the evening light to read their names, but there she was, next to dad. 

Together forever I thought and becoming emotional wasn’t difficult.  The thought of them finally being together brought tears! 

A warm hand caressed my right shoulder in the midst of grieving. I turned to greet a dark figure that I had difficulty seeing. She stood outside the dim light’s reflection, and I could she had dark hair and the odor of-- Lilac. 

Odors have a way of boosting your memories and after a short time, It could only be…

“Patricia?”.

She enjoyed that I would remember her.

“Patricia!”

“It would be an understatement to say I had been away, too long.  

It was shocking how she had changed from that skinny little girl when we were both young to this gorgeous bloom of a woman, 

“I’m sorry Pat, I’ve been away much, too, long, much, mum!” 

Strange that lilac perfume didn’t smell that badly up close. As I breathed and filled my head with the aroma of...then I realized we were in a graveyard! 


My emotions were conflicted, but mostly positive. I decided that this was the best place for us. I suggested that we go back and seek some advice from Mom and Dad.

We kneeled, and I held Pat’s hand. I felt so many positive feelings standing there. I felt they would have wanted this, as I spoke more and didn’t expect an answer. It felt like destiny to be here with her and in front of mom and dad.

So many feelings rushed through my head as childhood memories mingled with today. I hadn’t thought about home for so long.

 Pat was concerned about the others on Mars,

“What will you do about NASA and your friends?”

“I’ll have to call in tomorrow morning and tell them I need some time off for... grieving? ,,,Or getting married? 

I don’t have the ring but…”

“Yes! Yes!”

Before I could finish. 

I did achieve my dream of space flite, but also I learned: In the journey through life, before I even start. The most important places or people are right where you started! 

Jeff will be great running things up there for a while. Teressa can be his science officer, and Irina can serve as his support officer! Since we have already established a colony on Mars and the use of the bots with their supplies and intelligence, things should be under control, and I am confident that a thriving colony won’t be far away.” 

“I’m pretty sure I have a home somewhere nearby, with a billiards table. Hey, let’s play a game of billiards at my place...I’ll break!”  

What will happen to Jason and Patricia? Will Jeff and Louis build a growing colony on Mars? Will there be children on Mars? What about Terresa and Irina? 

Find the answers to these questions and more in my next installment of,

                   

                        “Unforgettable II”

    

    

© 2024 Richard Carpenter


Author's Note

Richard Carpenter
If you enjoyed this prequel, let me know by giving me constructive critiques
[email protected]
I will be writing a sequel to Unforgettable

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on December 26, 2023
Last Updated on January 11, 2024
Tags: mature reader, religious, Novella, short story