First Blood, Sea Of Red.

First Blood, Sea Of Red.

A Story by Dakota

We stepped out of the car and walked inside. I needed the  wifi or else we would have just went through the drive through. I got a small fry, and she ordered a quarter pounder. I never understood how she stayed so toned, given that she eats like a grown man. I know girls who ate far less, and still had belly fat. Windy was pure athletic. I think she mentioned to me how she use to do kickboxing as an exercise, but then again I block out most of her stories. The less I know about her the better. “How do you survive on almost no food Seth,” she asked me out of nowhere. “I think that the human body finds a way,” I responded. After a few seconds of silence I added, “do you think our ancestors got to eat well everyday? No they didn't. People often wonder why America has become obese in their ways, and it's because we have an abundance of misinformation on how the human body works. The way I see it, we only need to eat for the physical activity we do. Food is a fuel, and sure it's necessary for survival, but people have gotten to comfortable with the idea that if they eat food they will be healthy. To me it's not really a matter of how much food you eat, it's about how much energy your body consumes.” After that long and drawled out explanation, Windy just kind of stared at me. “You don't usually say a lot.” She finally said. I knew it was true, and I could see it in her jade green eyes that she was curious as to what I was like before my accident. “I know I don't, but it's just something that kind of bothers me in a weird way. I hate being known at the fattest country in the world, and for all the stereotypes we have about of us. I know that people across seas are just generalizing Americans, but you and I both know that the reason for that is evident.” “Wow, I didn't know you were such a patriotic person.” She said to me in an almost sarcastic tone of voice. I could tell she was still trying to forget room 304, but you could see in on her face that it's going to be a lingering thought in the back of her mind. No normal person who witnesses such atrocities will ever be the same. I know I can't empathize with her, because I'm not normal. I still consider myself human, but maybe I'm just a hollow vessel waiting to be filled again.


I took the last bite of my fries, when the lights flickered. I looked out the window and seen a clear sky, so I assumed it was someone who had bumped a power line on accident. I ignored it at first, then they went completely out. “What the hell...” I heard someone at the table behind me say. He stole the words right out of my mouth. “Seth what's going on,” Windy asked me. I looked back out the window and the sky was black, as if it were tornado weather. I didn't know for sure what was going on, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it had something to do with me. Strange things have been happening ever since I decided to make this journey. This will be the first time Windy sees one of the events. “We have to go...NOW!” I yanked her up by her arm and ran to the door. “YOU'RE hurting me!” “We don't have time for complaining.” I responded. I pushed her into the car and she shouted in panic concern “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!?” I looked at her and tried to come up with an explanation, but I found myself at a loss for words. I shook my head and looked down at the steering wheel. I remember asking myself why I brought this poor girl on this journey straight into the mouth of hell. I wasn't thinking clearly, she had a basic concept of the supernatural so I thought (at the time) she would be a perfect companion. I didn't take into consideration the fact that she was still young, and not world wise.


I flipped the ignition and backed out of the parking lot as fast as I could, then hurriedly exited. “You asked me what was going on, and I really don't know how to answer that question without sounding insane. I will try my best, though. When I came back from where ever I went, I believe that I brought something back with me. I don't know exactly what it is, but it's not mine to have. I think my soul stayed there, and I got the soul of something that they want back.” She looked at me, and nodded. “I believe you, but what could be that important that they would overtly attack you?” I responded the only way I knew how, “That's what we are going to find out.” I knew she was scared to be here with me, but I could also tell she felt like she needed to be here. I knew she didn't need to be here, but she didn't. “You didn't have to come,” I muttered under my breath. “What?” She looked pretty confused at that statement. “It was your decision to come, and I tried to talk you out of it. You don't have to be here.” I said in a clearer tone. “I know that, but now I feel obliged. Especially after that little episode we had back at that run down hotel.” I looked at her and nodded, and we both knew that we were going to share a bond for life. 

© 2016 Dakota


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

56 Views
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on August 1, 2016

Author

Dakota
Dakota

Cleveland, TN



About
Just a guy with a wild imagination. more..

Writing
Dark Oasis. Dark Oasis.

A Book by Dakota