Employee #5430

Employee #5430

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam
"

my dad owns a company and i went to work with him yesterday morning... my observations and slight disgust resulted in this.

"
tick tock. 
white noise. 
flourescents highlight
a raw menagerie
of linoleum
echoes back empty
ad nauseum 
ad infinitum
white noise. 
black coffee. 
stuffy and broken
pinstriped ties
wrap nooses around necks
courage never
strong enough 
to just
pull. 

collected in cubicle
boxes. they're all the same
boxes. 
twisting
turning
waiting to expire
maybe finding you 
when you're decayed
and reeking
of calendar counting
broken dreams 
and plastic. 

thick rimmed glasses
magnify
amplify
keystrokes 
on keyboards
letters and words
but they're all 
just meaningless
markings
coming and going
down empty white hallways
and mahogany desks
like crystalline 
diamond dust
returning back 
to spark a match
against the ticking 
clocks. 
ticking
(always ticking) why
are we wasting our time
writing dreams
and burning them down
all that's left is
white noise. 

coffee makers
percolating shards of glass
drinking them down
bleeding onto white
linoleum. you're living
the corporate dream. 

blank stare. 
white noise. 
tick tock. 

© 2013 Dana Alsamsam


Author's Note

Dana Alsamsam
i read this at an open mic and got lots of snaps so it could be considered spoken word because the words sort of swirl together and speed up. with that said, i still tried to use line breaks in effective ways.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

So I read this out to see what it would sound like when spoken. Some spoken word pieces I have seen here don't really work in that format. They don't have the rhythm or the attitude to pull it off...you do though, in what I think is a big way. I don't see too many breaks in the flow. In fact, I especially like the places you abbreviate your lines. Spots like: "ad nauseum/ad infinitum/white noise./black coffee." Those lines really give us the abbreviated and short sited feel of that corporate office.

Also, the lines about those ties as nooses...those are probably my favorite in this piece, especially when you add how you broke up the lines until you got to the word "pull." For me, that was the icing on the cake.

And the corporate mantra:

blank stare.
white noise.
tick tock.

That was really accurate of a work place. I also liked the repetition of white noise. Well done :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

it's an honor to know my words filled up a room somewhere else far away from here in a different voi.. read more
Clockwork

10 Years Ago

You're always welcome, Dana. This was really captivating :-)



Reviews

Yes, I can see this as spoken word. Very "beat poet" like feel to the form and the flow. I always read poetry aloud before reviewing, so I found myself getting into a groove with this one about half way through the first stanza. Great imagery and observational poetry. Still, you present a deeper metaphor that I am sure resonates with the majority of "working people" across the globe. Tedious, frozen, stifling, suffocating...just a few words that came to mind.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you- i'm glad you really got this! i hope to read it aloud someday :)
Dana, sitting across a table and sharing thoughts and perceptions of life in today's world would be a timeless pleasure. Some things never change from generation to generation and yet some things ARE changed within each generation's perceptions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

and i am always open to new ideas from people of all ages and demographics! they're incredibly inter.. read more
Chris

10 Years Ago

didn't see anything closed minded about it. Many different levels of perceptions shade the understa.. read more
Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

i'm glad! thank you :)
Writing dreams and burning them down...I think that speaks as much to the plight of a poet as the vividly unsavoury picture you've painted...I've worked in such environments and, well, let's just say it got to my head, deeply...you've offered up a well-crafted piece here that is conducive to both reading and reciting, which is not an easy balance to obtain, at least not for me haha I'd say this is one of your best :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! i totally don't mean this piece to bash on business people at all and i'm glad yo.. read more
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

Always a pleasure :)
It makes me think of the distaste for office work seen in films like 'Wanted' and 'Office Space'. The blase self-induced career choices people make definitely "reeking"(not "reaking") and disconcerting to the outside observer. I think you illustrate this beautifully. I am sadly, familiar with the cubical conformity that is office work and can attest that the only true focus lies in the ticking of the clock until you're free from wanting to shoot yourself day after day in a mindless numb state of employment. Cheers Dana.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

oh thank you i'll fix that mistake! thanks for your kind words!
Astro

10 Years Ago

You're welcome, keep up the great observational poetry.
So...if not them then who? Your "slight disgust" makes me look at you like...your spoiled little rant about your father's employees makes me want to rally for them, child, not you...You...make me believe you have never lifted a precious finger in your entire life. Thanks for the friend request, but I am going to respectfully decline. Go back to posing in the forest. You're lovely there. Anywhere else? No...you're ugly.

-kimmer

Posted 10 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved it, you described your observations so well and transfered them into such a beautiful piece.
Well penned :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another wonderful offering in a different dress. This reflected your feelings is disgust and distaste for what you saw accurately.

Posted 10 Years Ago


it has a great beat, Dana...i was snapping my fingers to it.

but to the steady hum-drum beat of 9=5 corporate boredom...i would go crazy in this kind of job..inside a cubicle all day, just churning out the same thing over and over.

this poem is really an insightful ,well-written look at the corporate tediousness.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I can certainly see how this piece works read aloud. The brief lines allow for pauses that let the monotony being described really sink in. You have perfectly described corporate offices, and the chained souls who inhabit them.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! hopefully i have an opportunity to read it aloud again :)
So I read this out to see what it would sound like when spoken. Some spoken word pieces I have seen here don't really work in that format. They don't have the rhythm or the attitude to pull it off...you do though, in what I think is a big way. I don't see too many breaks in the flow. In fact, I especially like the places you abbreviate your lines. Spots like: "ad nauseum/ad infinitum/white noise./black coffee." Those lines really give us the abbreviated and short sited feel of that corporate office.

Also, the lines about those ties as nooses...those are probably my favorite in this piece, especially when you add how you broke up the lines until you got to the word "pull." For me, that was the icing on the cake.

And the corporate mantra:

blank stare.
white noise.
tick tock.

That was really accurate of a work place. I also liked the repetition of white noise. Well done :-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

it's an honor to know my words filled up a room somewhere else far away from here in a different voi.. read more
Clockwork

10 Years Ago

You're always welcome, Dana. This was really captivating :-)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

466 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 14, 2013
Tags: job, work, corporate dream, office, white collar, time, employment, dreams

Author

Dana Alsamsam
Dana Alsamsam

Chicago, IL



About
"my brain hums with scraps of poetry and madness." i dance, write and play violin. i'm studying english and training in dance in chicago. i like spooky things, red lipstick, caffeine, punk/indi.. more..

Writing
mother mother

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..