Return To...

Return To...

A Poem by Dan Bullock
"

Escaped to Dublin, it just does something lovely, always!

"

Life affirmation, with a hint of chocolate tart and a milky coffee,

Guiding my words down glass buildings and across pedestrian crossings,

Rolling along clean gutters, brushed daily by hard working street sweepers

and weaving in and out of metal fences, feeling the air flow through my hair.

 

I swoop down to the tram lines and try to jump from one to the next,

If I trip, if I fall, there’s a simple thing to do, get back up again and carry on,

I drift on through the archway to the gardens, pulled towards the reflective water

Ducks swimming, breaking the boundaries of the glass sheet they inhabit

 

I drag myself away and onto the stain-glass windows of the cathedral

Sit in silence and listen to the multilingual tours repeated every half hour

But it’s all relevant, this moment and it’s definitely part of the day,

The ripples of reflection flow in and out of my head, just like the tide of the bay.

 

© 2008 Dan Bullock


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The whole poem portrayed an effortlessness that reminded me of Tom Bombadil from LOTR contently skipping and singing across the land. The only effort was dragging your self away from one beauty to another. Although I have been to Ireland I have never been to Dublin (yet) but I could taste it from the first line and was with you on the journey. It reminds me of a few hours I spent killing time before getting a tattoo. I wandered around St Mary Redcliffe's Cathedral in Bristol admiring the stained glass and different architecture. I also stumbled upon a memorial to the Bristol poet Thomas Chatterton. On that day when all I wanted was to get a new tattoo I had no idea that the memories that would stay with me would be the time I spent killing time. 'But it's all relevant, this moment and it's definitely part of the day'.
Another great write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think this is a wonderfully painted scene. Your words portray a landscape in which the narrator and viewer alike are lulled into that interesting situation of watching as the world goes by and simply smiling at its majesty. Thank you.
Light,
Siddartha


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The last line is very good, throws up a solid image - the ripples in your head juxtaposed with the tide of the bay. This mental daily voyage of yours to beloved sights and sounds familiar to you is an affirmation of life, positive and appreciative of the blessings we usually ignore, or are too jaded to see. Personally, I prefer rhymed verse, but I can see the quality in this.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

417 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 17, 2008

Author

Dan Bullock
Dan Bullock

United Kingdom



About
Everything involves me tapping away at a keyboard or scribbling down notes, writing is my love. :D http://www.twitter.com/danbullock I'm trying to be a good-hearted, hard-working soul who gradua.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..