The Purple Man.

The Purple Man.

A Story by Daniel Russell
"

I don't know. You decide.

"
     There was a purple man behind the bush. Nobody said anything, so maybe I'm the only one who knew, but I think they did.
     The purple man laughs at me. He hates me. Everything else is perfectly normal, which means that something definitely is not right.
     The purple man loves me. He's there so I know that something is wrong. Without him I would be as clueless as Al, whose office is across the hall from mine. He doesn't see the purple man.
     I realize that I do not remember what I do at work. I only remember breaks and lunch. I do not do anything. My job does not exist.
     There is no one but the purple man, nowhere but the bush and the sidewalk next to it. The rest is a lie.
     My wife Martha is a lie. My life is a lie. I am a lie. The purple man is the only truth.
     I did not see him today. I feel like a prophet after the prophecy. Forever cut off from God.
     The purple man is God. But he hides from us. Because if we saw all of him, we would become as him.
     I saw God. I am turning purple.
     That is why I am quitting my job and leaving my wife, because it is a terrible burden.
     I am, and always have been, the purple man.

© 2008 Daniel Russell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hey.... I really liked that. When the narrator says "The purple man is there so I know something is wrong." I almost thought he was kind of sane. Like a crazy matrix world or something. The lack of sense lets him know the world is not right, which is cool. I like his slow progression into insanity.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 16, 2008

Author

Daniel Russell
Daniel Russell

I wouldn't Call it a city,, VA



About
I like comics and music and film and lots of things. more..

Writing