Compartment 114
Compartment 114
The Shadow On My Shoulder
There is an angel who sits upon my shoulder who goes by the name of Death...
Beginning of the Revolutionary War

Beginning of the Revolutionary War

A Story by danny17000
"

The provocation/catalyst for the revolution war from the perspective of George Washington.

"

George Washington sat in his home in Virginia, sipping a fine cup of ale when Michael came in. “Miser, your crates have arrived.” Washington took another mouthful and swallowed. He rose up from his seat, towering over his slave and pushed his mahogany chair into his cherrywood table. “Thank you Michael. I would be much obliged if you could start stacking them in the barn.”


“Right away, maser.” Michael hurried off to do his bidding. George stood looking at the mantel piece above his fireplace. It was a model of a schooner in 1754, designed for the King to be his personal cursing vessel on a lake by the Thames. Washington exhaled deeply. In between his long sigh he whispered softly, “it damn well better not happen again.”


George adjusted his breeches and left through a hand crafted hard oak door. He walked briskly through his wheat field and up through the rolling hill and past one of his corn fields. He paused in front of several of his slaves carrying crates off of a fleet of horse and buggies loaded with merchandise he had ordered 6 months ago from Britain.


“Put it down!” He bellowed at one of his slaves who immediately obliged and lowered to the ground the crate he had been lifting with another slave. The slaves bowed their heads. Washington revealed a hammer he had been hiding under his coat. He took the hammer to the board on top of the crate and began to pry at its seams. Having taken all the nails out of the wood, Washington straightened from his kneeling position, again towering over his slaves. He signed again. He crossed his himself and bent down and removed the board on top. Glass. Broken Glass.


Without changing any facial expression, Washington straightened and went to another box, laying on the ground. He freed the nails and peered inside. His candlesticks. He lifted it up before his eyes to inspect. Corroded. Another damaged good.


Picking up pace now Washington moved on to yet another box. He liberated the nails from the wood and inspected the contents. Sicles. He pulled it across his hand. Dull and bent. He breathed deeply. “Lord, I do not deserve this.”


“Michael.”

“Yes maser.”

“Remove the crates from the barn and load them back onto the coaches.”

“........Yesss, maser.”


Washington walked to the coach in the front of the line. Inside sat a red faced, plump man, smoking a pipe. Washington leaned over and removed his hat.

“Henry. I hope your journey was safe.”

“Yes, George, how do you do do?”

“I fare as fine as the seas. No robberies on the highway I presume.”

“Fortunately for my crew, not this time, but were ready for them now.”

Washington withdrew his hard and sincere stare. He stepped backwards from leaning in the stage coach door and stared into the distant clouds. The sun was setting and the rain clouds were moving in. That was good for his crops, it hadn’t rain all week.

“What is it George?” Sensing something was amiss in his long time business friend, Henry questioned.

“I won’t be taking my orders this time.”

“.............Not taking your orders. What do you mean? I don’t understand.”

“Henry how long have we known each other?”

“Well must be 10 years now George. What’s this all about?”

“Well, I mean to be candid.”

“I would expect nothing less from you.”

“I know your job is in shipping and not in making and I don’t mean to include you in my qualm. But the items I have been receiving are damaged. Not only are they damaged and not sufficient but they are priced well above their worth and taxed beyond what they law should allow. I do not intent to stand for this kind of treatment.”

Henry was white faced. He had never seen George this angry before. Never. Not only was he angry, he was ready to create a stir over this. Henry stared at the bottom of the coach. A horse sipping water a 100 feet over, breathed hard.

“Alright George. But they're not gonna be happy about this one.”

“I don’t expect them to be, that is the point.”

“Well I don’t want the trading company coming after you for theft.”

“I intend to pay, but not sit idly as this continues.”

“Okay I’ll bring em back, I’ll try to get ya a fair price for these at the market.”

“Henry bring them back to the company. I want you to do this to send a message.”

“Okay George, I will do as you have asked me.”


Washington started at the sky for a long time. How am I to run a business, when I am not supplied with what I need to do so and by supplying myself I will put myself out of business. A deep rage had set in and was there to stay. A drop of rain fell on his shoulder, and another on his shoe. He walked towards his house as the pitter patter of rain off the stage coaches grew louder and echoed in his ear.


“Michael.”

“Yes maser.”

“Ready my horses. I’ll be taking a trip to Philly for the week.”

“Right away Maser.”


Wait till Jefferson, Adam, Franklin and the rest of the boys hear about this.



© 2015 danny17000


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on May 10, 2015
Last Updated on May 10, 2015