Being Human Again

Being Human Again

A Story by davidwrites

Growing up in the hustle and bustle of New York City, I was indoctrinated into the cutthroat capitalist culture from an early age. Conversations revolved around professions and making money "Hi, I'm David, I work at..." was the standard opener, quickly followed by "What do you do?" We were raised on the mantra of survival of the fittest, taught to outcompete our fellow humans in the rat race, packed like sardines on the cold subway cars.

During a period when I had a remote tech job, my buddy and I traveled to Europe for a work-and-play adventure. Due to the time difference, we would explore during the day and work in the evenings from 3 to 11 pm. We brought our American ambition and frenetic energy with us. Even as we indulged in the pleasures around us, our conversations centered on work and how to earn more money. Isn't that what life is all about?

Then, one day, something struck me. We frequented a cafe downstairs from our Airbnb, and I noticed a group of men who gathered there every morning and evening, sitting in a circle, deep in discussion. Intrigued, I approached them one day and discovered they were a diverse bunch"a plumber, a car mechanic, a transportation conductor, a restaurant owner, and a retired soccer player.

To my amazement, these men weren't discussing work or money-making schemes. Instead, they engaged in seemingly useless conversation, chatting about their kids, last night's soccer match, music, and new hobbies. Their relaxed banter would have suffocated any Wall Street investor, MBA graduate, or banker looking to "network."

In that moment, I experienced a profound self-reflection. I learned a valuable lesson about being human again from these European locals who prioritized relationships and quality of life over the relentless pursuit of wealth. Their coffee culture embodied a way of living that had been lost amid the chaos of my ambitious American upbringing.


© 2024 davidwrites


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I too, was born and raised in New York City, so i can relate to your story...and I think most of it is true... maybe not for some like artists, musicians, writers, etc... but yes the American mantra is all work , no play...for most....the European life is quite different, more relaxed, less work time more free time..
I like the way you shared your experiencing with the readers....keep going!
Warmly, B

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

davidwrites

2 Weeks Ago

Allows love your review Betty!
Betty Hermelee

2 Weeks Ago

You’re very welcome
Warmly, B



Reviews

I too, was born and raised in New York City, so i can relate to your story...and I think most of it is true... maybe not for some like artists, musicians, writers, etc... but yes the American mantra is all work , no play...for most....the European life is quite different, more relaxed, less work time more free time..
I like the way you shared your experiencing with the readers....keep going!
Warmly, B

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

davidwrites

2 Weeks Ago

Allows love your review Betty!
Betty Hermelee

2 Weeks Ago

You’re very welcome
Warmly, B
I am a new writer, kindly offer any advice you may have on improving. In my spare time, I built a tool to help authors create beautiful websites for free, see https://myauthor.space. You can read more of my writing on my personal site https://david.myauthor.space

Posted 2 Weeks Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 1, 2024
Last Updated on May 1, 2024
Tags: life, travel, culture

Author

davidwrites
davidwrites

About
I am new to writing and a late bloomer. I didn't begin appreciating art, music, and writing until I was 30. Please offer any pointers and guidance that would help me in my journey. In my spare time.. more..

Writing