A Thousand Years

A Thousand Years

A Story by Dawn R. Jones
"

Existing within unrequited love, it feels as though time passes really, really slowly.

"

She hunched in the dark corner of the large ballroom, cup of juice perched daintily in her fingertips. She stared at all of her peers, smiling at each other, and having a good time. They all mingled and chatted, exuding a freedom she wished she had.


She felt someone next to her, and she knew exactly who it was.


"So you found me." There was a hint of sarcasm in her voice, but the other person just ignored it.


"So I did." It was hard to see her in the dark, but she could tell that she looked beautiful, like always.


"You look positively amazing tonight." The other girl blushed, looking down at the marble floor.


"So do you, love." They looked at each other, a mutual connection having formed when they were just little brats playing in the street. Even though they were best friends, they always had seemed like more than that, but she was too afraid to say anything.


"Dance with me." The girl interrupted her thoughts with that simple phrase, causing her eyes to go wide.


"Uhm, no." She rolled her eyes. "Why?"


"Because! People! And I can't dance, and what if a trip and mess you up?" Unknown to the girl asking, she had been in ballroom dance since she was six. But the thought of their bodies so close together scared her, not knowing if she was going to have  enough self control to stop herself from doing drastic, like admit her feelings. She'd gone six years without telling her, and she didn't want to break her record at the Senior Celebration -- the day before graduation.


"Sumi, why not?" Hearing her name, the girl grudgingly looked up, into blue eyes, into the ocean. Into the soul of the very girl she could never have.


Into forbidden waters.


"Because, Fauna. I'm awkward and embarrassing." Fauna rolled her eyes and pulled the girl by her hand into the middle of room. Sumi blushed, but followed. Fauna grabbed her right hand in her left, and wrapped her right arm around the girl's tiny waist. She rested her head on Fauna's chest, and swayed back and forth with her.

  -----
  
Fauna's heart was racing, and she was really hoping that Sumi wouldn't notice. Her cheeks burned bright, but luckily the makeup her mom forced her to cake on her face hid it. She wrapped her arms tighter around the girl, and pulled her closer. They swayed back and forth to the music, lost in their own little world.


"And you said that you were a bad dancer." Fauna whispered to the girl, smirking at her. The girl in question shrugged, and laid her head back down on the girl's chest. Unfortunately, the moment always had to be ruined by something.


"Ha! I knew you two were f*****s! Look at you, you're disgusting." The popular girl pointed at them and maliciously laughed at them, her voice like nails on a chalkboard.


"F**k off, Laura!" Sumi tried to pull Fauna out of the ever growing crowd by her hand, but she refused to move.


"No, I want to say this." She turned about around the Laura, who had her eyes narrowed at her.


"What the f**k is your problem with me? With US?" She gestured to herself and Sumi, who stood next to her blushing, her head hanging down in despair.


"My problem is that you're freaks." Her and her fake friends laughed again, and that only served to anger Fauna more.


"Freaks? What's so f*****g freakish about us?" Fauna stepped forward intimadatingly, and Laura stepped back, but carried on.


"Well, for one thing, you're always f*****g reading and talking about books and stuff? Who the f**k does that?" Laura smirked at them, seeming victorious.


But then Fauna pulled her master card.


"At least we're not getting pregnant." Laura paled, and stared at the girl.


"What the hell are you talking about?" She smirked.


"My mom is an OBG/YN. Enough said." The girl ran into the bathroom crying, her friends trailing behind her in confusion. Fauna looked over to Sumi with a smile on her face, but it faltered when she saw that the girl was gone.


  ----- 

Sumi sat outside, curled up on the concrete in front of the building, not caring if she was ruining her dress.


Tears flowed freely down her cheeks, and the only sounds coming from her were sniffles.


The loud echo of someone running in heels followed behind her, and a small pair of arms wrapped around her.


"Are you okay?" The girl could only turn and cry on the other girl's shoulder, her shoulders shaking.


"I hate this. I hate it so much!" She sobbed, confusing Fauna.


"Hate what?" Fauna lifted Sumi's face up, looking her in the eyes. Blue met green, and suddenly Sumi made a decision.


"Hiding. I don't want to anymore," she whispered, slowly inching closer to Fauna.


"Hide wh-" Her words were cut off by another set of lips covering hers. Sumi could feel her heart thudding in chest, racing as fast as it could. But then in shock, she pulled away.


"Oh my god, I'm so sor-" Fauna kissed her, stopping her.


"You talk too much sometimes." The girl smiled at the wide eyes of the other girl.


"Wha..?" Fauna smiled wider, and stroked her cheek.


"How long?" Fauna kissed her cheek.


"How long what, my love?" Sumi leaned her head on her shoulder, playing with her fingers.


"How long...how long have you felt like this? Like, how long have you wanted to do that?" The girl blushed slightly as she talked.


"A really, really long time." 

© 2014 Dawn R. Jones


Author's Note

Dawn R. Jones
Please leave constructive criticism! I'm trying to improve on my romance writing ^-^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on January 21, 2014
Last Updated on January 21, 2014
Tags: love, romance, lesbians, high school

Author

Dawn R. Jones
Dawn R. Jones

McKinney, TX



About
Hi! I'm just a gay teenaged girl with a love for writing ^-^ I prefer writing poetry and short stories, mostly romance. Sometimes I write slam poems as well. I just joined this site to spread my writi.. more..

Writing