Seeing Is Believing

Seeing Is Believing

A Story by dbrookings
"

A Short Story

"

Johnny Master's world was going to end in a few hours when a sudden turn of fate intervened--the plane he was on was about to crash--and with only a few minutes to live, he made a decision that would impact one life.

A lifelong loser with a trail of broken hearts and bitter enemies now behind him, Johnny could focus on the one thing he always knew he had in him, but was never able to display for people to see--compassion.

"It will be okay," he said to the terrified woman sitting next to him. "There are worse things in life than what is about to happen."

"What are you saying," the hysterical woman screamed.

"Have you lived a good life," Johnny asked.

"Shut up!"

"Do you love your family," he continued.

"You're crazy!"

"Will anyone miss you when you're gone?"

"Why are you doing this to me," the young woman shrieked.

"Your life should be flashing before your eyes right about...now," Johnny said.

The young woman stopped screaming and gave Johnny a dazed look.

"Close your eyes and see all the lives you've touched," he said to her.

The young woman closed her eyes and began to smile. Johnny watched as her life played back from her earliest memory and then raced through the years, highlighting the most important people and events from her short life. The terror was gone from her face, which made Johnny smile.

Johnny closed his eyes and saw nothing.

The young woman opened hers and looked at him.

"Thank you," she said.

'Did you see everyone who was important to you," Johnny asked.

"Yes."

"Did you see the wonderful moments from your childhood?"

"Yes."

"Do you now know what you meant to the people you loved while you were alive?"

"Yes."

"Good, now go in peace," Johnny said.

"What did you see, Sir," the young woman asked.

"Nothing," Johnny replied.

"What do you mean?"

"I saw nothing, Ma'am."

"Did you not ever love?"

"No," Johnny replied.

"Didn't you care about anyone?"

"No."

"Have you ever had a happy moment in your life?"

"Young lady, quit talking before I ruin what's left of your life," Johnny replied.

"What?"

Johnny didn't tell the young woman that using your imagination works wonders when you're in a jam, and that a con man can put a smile on your face by making you believe something that you've always been skeptical about.

© 2012 dbrookings


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

nice

Posted 12 Years Ago


nice twists in this. enjoyed.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 22, 2012
Last Updated on April 23, 2012

Author

dbrookings
dbrookings

NC



About
I'm writing a novel and have a fictional blog. more..

Writing