300 Words or Less: Movie Trailer

300 Words or Less: Movie Trailer

A Story by dbstevens
"

What do you want in life? In 300 words a woman explores this question. More info and writing on this and other tidbits can be found down the veritable rabbit hole at: kickingcorners.blogspot.com

"

Olivia was walking slowly home from her appointment, soaking in the break from her children. She bought a soft pretzel, dusted with sugar, and sat down on a bench in the park to piece at it. The warm bread hung from her hand, turning cold.

“You know what they put in those, right?” Her sister plopped nearly on top of her, paper bowl in hand with a single scoop of icecream. She licked the spoon like a lollipop.

“Abi,” Livie turned with a half-smile. “How’d you know I was here?”

“Pfff. I know you like we were the same person.”

“You want some?” Livie offered the pastry.

Abigail’s nose scrunched. “No. I want to live through the day.”

“And I don’t?”

“I don’t know. Do you? What’d the doc say?”

Looking away, Livie shrugged. “Same as usual.”

Abi waited for her to continue, but Livie changed the subject. “You know. My little Philip only wants to play with whatever his sister’s got.”

“Yeah?”

“I watched a trailer for a new movie coming out. I got all weepy just during those two minutes. I want to be loved like that.”

“It’s a movie, Liv.”

“I know,” she looked at her hands, dropping the bread and wiping her fingers. Ants converged immediately.

They were silent for awhile, watching a black dog galumph around the park sans leash. It stopped to sniff people, wagged its tail when someone paused to scratch it, but dashed off as soon as they showed too much interest. There wasn’t an apparent owner anywhere.

“Can I have a bite of your icecream?”

Abi handed the bowl over. “Sure. The guy’s just right there, do you want me to get you some?”

“Nah, it won’t taste as good if it’s mine,” Livie smiled. “I just want some of yours.”

© 2012 dbstevens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on February 9, 2012
Last Updated on February 9, 2012

Author

dbstevens
dbstevens

Salt Lake City, UT



About
bada-boom, bada-bing. let's DO this thing. more..

Writing
Sacred Sacred

A Poem by dbstevens