The Time Travelers Pub

The Time Travelers Pub

A Story by gingerman89
"

A story about time travelers and the bars they hang out at.

"
When I first learned of time travel I was quite skeptical of the whole ideal. At that time however, I had never been to one of the pubs. The time-traveler tavern was known by many names depending on when exactly you were. Although during my travels there were many times I was not quite sure when I was anyways. 
There were many rules for time travel that the T.F.P.D had to enforce. Excuse my ignorance. The TFPD is the Time Force Police Department. It was a strange place and walking into the building depending on when you were could really change how you perceived the place. After all you can not have floating buildings in 2027 before people realized the advantage of gravity free structures. That is a completely different story and one that you should not ponder upon. The TFPD was mainly here in order to prevent the timeline from changing. 
Contrary to popular belief there is only one timeline. When time travel was first created many people wanted to go back and change history. One man went back and killed Adolph Hitler as a baby. This in turn caused the end of the world's. a mere 22 hours and 14 minutes before time travel ever existed. This caused all of Earths, and our two sister planets harboring humanoid type beings species to go extinct losing 200 billion people and our hard fought spot in the intergalactic congress.
Enough about police though. We are here to talk about the taverns. The time travelers tavern was a place that many like myself conjured. It was quite a funny place where you could run into people from anytime. At a certain point in the 24th century humans as we you and I know them seized to exist. With intergalactic travel cross pollination began to take its course. Within 100 years of travel much of Earths population had evolved into the creatures we see today. At least this is what they tell me.
 (The thing with time travel is you can not go forward beyond where you are at in your own life. It makes me wonder whether or not everyone is actually on their own timeline.)
There were many rules in the tavern when it came to drinking. In fact in order to work behind the bar you needed a master intergalactic serving license which meant traveling to at minimum 10 of the 15 solar systems of study. After all you don't want a blesipitarian drinking mendotheolic alcohol. It would kill them. All bars were required to staff at least 5 planetarium physicians as well. It was quite an expensive process to open up one of these taverns as the hired help would need to be willing to not only move planets or in some cases galaxies but also convince their families to move to another place in time. It was quite difficult to convince anyone to work at the taverns prior to time travel because they would need to live in hiding. If you accepted the challenge however you only needed to serve 4 years as a member of the bartenders council before you would be guaranteed a pension on the planet of your choosing.  
I was always personally interested in the New York Time Travelers. You could only get this paper at taverns. This was one of the few ways you could actually see into the future beyond your own timeline. The problem with the Time Travelers paper is that it always covered news from the beginning of time travel until the current time line. (At least I assume it is the current time line because I was born almost 1000 years before the end of the paper.) The paper was so large, that the entire thing was only released once a century and in most cases you could ask someone drinking a saspharian beer long before you would ever actually see the headline articles about currentish news. 

© 2016 gingerman89


Author's Note

gingerman89
I am currently reading hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy and ended up in a hypothetical conversation about time travel. We ended up talking about the taverns that time travelers gather at and it inspired me to try to write a little bit about my perception of what these places would actually be like.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really like this idea and hope to see more of it. Maybe expand on the main character`s individual story? I see a lot of potential here though. Good work! Feel free to review my work if you`d like.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on November 18, 2016
Last Updated on November 18, 2016
Tags: time travel, hitchhiker, science fiction, science, tavern, bar, new york times, first blog, alcohol