The Elusive Self

The Elusive Self

A Poem by Daniel Malone
"

This is a couplet concerning the quest for self-knowledge and how it is never ending and ever changing due to the constant evolution of our psyche.

"
Open books still have secrets. Not all subtleties are illuminated through multiple views.
Some defy even the author. We extract the meaning we choose.
Thumbing through the fine points.The intricacies evade.
The recognition of the broad with time begins to fade.

Perusing through the scripture we divorce from comprehension,
in the way the soldier fights till they misrecollect the mission.
A premise with no format. The phrasing bounds from static.
Clear of definition, but it still becomes a habit.

Inspection of the elements. Rifle through the baggage.
Rummage through arrangements,from the basement to the attic.
You've bequeathed your saga unto those who would receive.
Still as much as any scholar, you're not sure what to believe.

The quest is unremitting. Incessant exploration.
An odyssey of mind. The elusive revelation.
Perception ever-changing, it's a sign of maturation.
Obliterating cognizance. The cycle of negation.

Yes I have my theories. Disparity exists,
where even the creator has some properties he missed.
A novel never knows itself, the writer is as blind.
The beauty's in the ignorance, there's always more to find.

© 2013 Daniel Malone


Author's Note

Daniel Malone
I feel, upon further reflection, that the vocabulary could have been dumbed down. I also realize the meter on the first line of the first stanza may differ slightly from that of the rest of the material.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed everything I have read of yours so far...I especially loved the last two lines in this one. You have a way and love of words that is really unique. The cadaver chasers one was a little dark and twisty for me but it's a concept I've never thought of before. I could see how you could run with that. Keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!



Reviews

Dan, this is the first poem I`ve read of yours, and I`m mightily impressed. You have a very high clarity of thought combined with a natural conversational style which you convert poetically without contriving to rhyme, producing excellent verse. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Often I find the written word speaks to people in the way they have experienced life themselves and not just necessarily by the words alone.
Your writings are diverse, perceptive and highly intelligent.
Never tamp your words Daniel, for to me, that would mean your true source of being would not be present within the written piece... whether it be song, poem or novel.
This is another piece that gives me and my partner, (who by the way is rapt in your work and says, brilliant and you should keep writing....please.) that it's food for much thought and will be read many times more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you once again. I'm glad you enjoyed it.... A thank you for your partner as well!
I don't think you should dumb down your vocabulary. The words you use are very powerful and rich. You make some very interesting observations here. I really enjoyed reading this!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
This is a freat poem, thank you for sharing it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!
I enjoyed everything I have read of yours so far...I especially loved the last two lines in this one. You have a way and love of words that is really unique. The cadaver chasers one was a little dark and twisty for me but it's a concept I've never thought of before. I could see how you could run with that. Keep it up!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
i don't know about the vocabulary...i didn't find it pretentious at all..

liked the insights in this...

even as poets, sometimes we don't even understand fully what we write and why we write it...

maybe we aren't supposed to know all the answers, or find all the answers...

but seeking them is more than half the fun.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

My sentiments exactly. Thank you for reading!
No, the vocabulary is exquisite; without your word choice the rich texture would have been lost. I'm amazed by the beauty and metaphorical significance of this piece. Strong, powerful, questioning... great work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

454 Views
8 Reviews
Added on March 25, 2013
Last Updated on March 25, 2013
Tags: Poetry, self-exploration, couplet

Author

Daniel Malone
Daniel Malone

Enon, OH



About
I'm a late 20's guy who has accomplished nothing other than being a father. I've always immersed myself in the arts, be it music, literature, or film. I'm a song-writer, vocalist, keyboardist, and dru.. more..

Writing
Germ Germ

A Poem by Daniel Malone