konmari your brain

konmari your brain

A Poem by mads

---


oftentimes I find myself perusing 

the self-help sections in dusty bookstores, 

searching, looking for the perfect novel. 

I don’t understand why I am in pain, 

and so I continue browsing in vain. 

© 2022 mads


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

So...a stranger walked up to me and said that they were, in some undefined way, in pain. But I don't know their age, their gender, or, the smallest thing about why they feel that way. All I know is that for unknown reasons they're seeking a novel in an undefined genre to read, that might, in some unknown way, relate to, or have an effect on, that undefined pain.

For you, who has context for all that, plus your intent for how the words are to be taken, the words are brimming with emotion. And every word points to memories, experiences, and more, all waiting in your mind, just waiting to be evoked

But pity the poor reader, who comes to poetry to be entertained by having THEIR emotions stirred. For them? Every word points to memories, experiences, and more, all waiting in *YOUR* mind.

My point? Talk to the reader about you and it will have meaning only for you. We don't talk TO the reader. As poets, we don't tell the reader we cried. We give the READER reason to weep by involving them, and by making them FEEL, and CARE, not be better informed on aspects of our life. Talking TO the reader is the nonfiction approach to writing we were given in school, as they readied us for the kind of writing employers need from us. All those reports and essays we were assigned were part of that. But... how much time was spent on prosody, on poetic technique, or on the emotion-based and character-centric skills of poetry and fiction?

The answer is none, because professional knowledge is acquired in addition to the general skill set of our school days. After all, they've been exploring and perfecting the skills of poetry for thousands of years, so a bit of digging into what has been found to be well received by readers makes a lot of sense.

Lots of people find Mary Oliver's, A Poetry Handbook an excellent place to begin. You can download it at the address just below. Read a bit of it and I think you'll be glad you did. So will your readers.
https://yes-pdf.com/book/1596

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
1 Review
Added on August 22, 2022
Last Updated on August 22, 2022
Tags: self help, self harm, help, self reflection, konmari, bookstore, book shop, pain, anxiety, depression, mental health, self reflect, thoughts, thought provoking, thinking

Author

mads
mads

LA



About
25 years young and trying to find reason within rhymes. I enjoy reading and writing about science fiction, poetry, and more. I am a passionate and voracious reader that has short bursts of inspirat.. more..

Writing
blossom blossom

A Poem by mads


headache headache

A Poem by mads