Our Family Wakes

Our Family Wakes

A Poem by Deborah Leah Krempa

O ur family just started a new tradition

U pon the death of our family member's

R emembering them we honor them with a wake

 

F amily and friends gather together at a hotel

A s we dine and relax in the hot tub or pool

M y sister came up with this wonderful idea

I  thought it a bit peculiar at first pehaps a bit odd

L ittle did I see what a splendid idea she had

Y ou see it was fun and everyone enjoyed themselves

W e laughed and we cried together and we had

A darn good time remembering our loved ones

K eeping watch on the children as they swam and played

E venings spent in the hot tub was the best for me

S eemed to prepare me much more for the funeral ahead

© 2008 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

That is a lovely idea, to come together and remember those who have left us behind. To grow closer as a family and share good times. Sad, but wonderful life does go on and we must live today for the future to come.

Another wonderful write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Remember them with love, a song in your heart and a little tear in your soul. HAVE A PARTY FOR THEM!!!!
Great idea Deb, your sis is a genius. Another funeral? Have another wake YAY!!! That is what your dear departed would want and you can bet your boots they will be present...
Helen xx

Posted 15 Years Ago


I simply love this idea and think it is a great way to help soothe away pain and bring comfort and closure. The last funeral I went to had some invaluable resources about the grieving process and honestly, I could see this in one of those resources, because it is a wonderful way to deal with losing someone. Great job, Deb!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Thank you so much for a look into your family's traditions and customs. That is extremely generous of you. You do such a great job with acrostics, I cannot get over it! I'm glad, too. Even on subjects touching the sadder things in life, you bring a smile to my face every time I read something of yours. Thank you so much for sharing! This is beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Love this, truly written from the heart!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I think the water is not only relaxing, but symbolic. The water represents the changing of a time and the rebirth of a new life and cleansing the soul from its pain. Your sister has a warm heart and I would gather a very spiritual person. I love those kinds of people because I am one myself.

Nice and honest write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really like this shows a struggle and then the height of it all!!!
Now your at peace and so is robert lovely writing described well
Well done x

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very touching. Very important times. Death must not be buried out of sight out of mind. It is key to mark peoples' passage properly.

Posted 15 Years Ago


reading the poem was like immerse into this family's mood: a harmonious state of mood and its structure in general and of their family members, also congruity of everything in this family with one another and with the whole picture - how they are seen by others.
"K eeping watch on the children as they swam and played" --------what would make more happy? happy children >> happy adults >>> happy family >>> happy society. beautiful.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

341 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 6, 2008

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


In the Trenches In the Trenches

A Story by Legion