Above the Dead, EP 2.4 "What can Brown do for You"

Above the Dead, EP 2.4 "What can Brown do for You"

A Screenplay by Mike Decker
"

Season 2. Episode 4

"

ABOVE THE DEAD .com


Season 2, Episode 4  (49 pages)

"What can Brown do for You"

 

INTRO

 

BLACK...

 

FADE IN:

 

EXT. COLUMBIA RIVER - DAY

 

River water, with heavy rain falling on top of it...

POV moves over the water, finding a houseboat, with developing sound of huffs, a lot of them...

 

As POV pans over the houseboat, you come to see it surrounded by huffs. The back end of the house is the river, so no huffs there, but they are all over the rest of it, breaking windows, and soon to be getting inside. Some are halfway through the windows (furniture inside propped up against it), while others are now completely breaking through and entering front door...

 

Cut to Sam watching the scene, as she and the others are kayaking by...

 

Suddenly, the back window breaks open. A man throws a blanket over the bottom of it, and quickly climbs out, dropping into the river. He quickly throws his hands up, as a woman hands him a two-year-old child. He grabs him, securing him along his side, barely above water (about 5 feet deep).

 

He reaches back to window, where his wife desperately hands him a baby. Huffs are now falling over the side of the house (attempting to go after the man), and are floating/sinking toward him. He grabs the baby, just as his wife begins screaming, obviously bitten from behind.

 

The man is crying, but realizing he must swim his children to safety. He looks up at his dying wife, as he tries to stay above water, with both children. Huffs are in the water, with more falling in (from side of house).

 

Now huffs are climbing/falling right out of window, toward, and almost right on top of the man, who now loses control of the two-year-old.

 

Sam in hysterics, looking at DJ, pleading with her expression, to go help, but all he can do, is solemnly shake his head, as they row by...

 

The man is desperately trying to save his two-year-old from drowning, while holding onto the baby. The man now cries out in pain, while bitten from behind, yet still trying to save his drowning children. The two-year-old goes under, before grabbed by father, but bitten. The baby is already under, and the father is crying/dying/drowning...


DISSOLVE TO:


THEME TUNE/CREDITS

 

Shots of all the chaos in the city, on day 1 of the “zombie” apocalypse, followed by bumper-to-bumper traffic on the highways, and tons of angry/nervous people honking or trying to pull off the road. Shot of Mt. Hood, followed by shots of a huge tree house overlooking a lake, which dissolves into the Columbia River, and traveling down it, through a huge forest fire, before reaching the Bonneville Dam. POV continues down the river, past the Glen Jackson bridge, flowing by tons of houseboats where the dead are falling into the river, chasing after whoever is drifting by…

 

POV of the Willamette River as it goes under the St. Johns bridge, and up into the hills of Portland. It travels over them, into the Beaverton area, crossing over the top of the Nike World Headquarters, and keeps traveling over farmlands, and into the coast range, finding the Glenwood Market, and a large camp with log walls, across the creek and behind the store…

 

POV speeds over the Tillamook Forest, Highway 26, and a bunch of other lands, before coming to the Columbia River, traveling west, under the Megler bridge, and into the ocean. It continues along the shoreline, past Astoria, the Haystack Rock of Cannon Beach, coming to a pair of jetties, and following through the channel between them. POV continues up into the nearby hills, finding a large camp, protected by a large log wall…

 

POV travels back down to the shoreline, and over a huge hotel, with a shot of the Twin Rocks in the ocean. POV travels by the bay of Tillamook, and along Highway 6, back into the coast range, until leaving the road, back into the Tillamook Forest, until coming to a very large compound, hidden away by all the brush and mountain-side, as opening credits roll…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COLUMBIA RIVER - DAY (raining hard)

 

Close-up Sam's tear-dried (soaked from rain), somber face, staring at nothing, as they continue downriver...

 

DJ and Marlana are rowing, somber themselves, and dead quiet...

Renee has her head down, trying to keep her face dry. You can't even see it...

Eli is as somber as you've seen him, since his family died. Rowing, in silence, and staring much like Sam is, at nothing...

 

Houseboats are everywhere. Huffs are here and there, jumping in the water, with no threat to the kayaks. Sandy barks at the ones who jump/fall in the water, and begin sinking/floating away...

 

Everyone eventually begins looking/watching all the random huffs (much more than they were used to seeing on the mountain), all except Sam, who can't stop staring ahead, at nothing...

 

Dissolve to all of them still silent, as they row downriver. Hayden Island (Jansen Beach) is on their right, with a grassy hilltop, to their left. Huffs are on both sides. Tons are already in the water, stuck at the shoreline. Some are rolling/falling down the hilltop, into the river...

 

As everyone watches them, and Sandy barks, Sam still stares ahead, while weeping again. She can't shake the image of the family, killed. She’s not looking, but she knows the sights that surround her. She weeps for the family, and she weeps for her circumstances. She weeps for the world...

 

ELI

How many people...in the city...when it happened?

 

DJ

Even with all those who tried to run...I'd say millions...

 

Silence...

 

ELI

We're so screwed...

 

Silence...

 

ELI

They're so stupid, though. I mean...lead em' all

into the river, or...a giant pit of fire, or something...

 

Silence...

 

MARLANA

It does seem like the government, must be

doing something.

 

ELI

The army sure isn't...

 

Silence...

 

DJ

What about the President? He's gotta’ still be

out there, somewhere. Or at least a new one…

 

Silence...

 

MARLANA

With as many people as we've seen...you know

we have a government, still out there...

 

Silence...

 

DJ

Has to be some help coming...eventually...

 

Silence...

 

DJ scoping out the area, seeing the end of Hayden Island, coming up...

 

DJ

Alright, let's get closer to the left side. Renee, time

to start rowing again. If those guys are waiting for us,

around that corner, we need to put as much distance

between us and them.

 

ELI

Are we going to try and outrun them?

 

DJ

If we can, yes. Certainly can't dock anywhere around

here. Sam? You ready? You'll be doing the shooting,

as the rest of us row, like never before...

 

Sam wiping her tears...

 

SAM

Yes...

 

Sam grips her gun, and checks on the other ones, she has piled there, waiting to cause havoc on anyone who tries to pursue them...

 

They come to the edge of Hayden Island, as the channel connects, back up with the rest of the river. No one appears to be waiting around, on kayaks. DJ looks up ahead, where he can see the mouth of the Willamette. He points to it.

 

DJ

That's our turnoff. St. Johns Bridge, not far

from there!

 

Sam begins to look alive. Everyone else is rowing hard...

They are heading right for the Willamette River. No other kayakers in sight. Random huffs appear here and there, along the shoreline. The rain is still falling...

 

ELI

Where do you think they are?

 

DJ

Maybe they messed with the wrong person, or

just gave up on us. Who cares. We have made

one serious step toward that compound, baby!

 

Eli smiling. Renee a half smile. Marlana proudly rows. Sam can't help but to form a small smile, of her own...

Dissolve to Sam smiling even bigger, as they prepare to go under the beautiful and historic, St. Johns Bridge, with tree-filled hills on one side, and a park and homes on the other side. The park is full of huffs...

 

DJ

German Town Road is the one we want to take.

It's right over there (pointing to hills). Once we

"go brown" and get ourselves a truck, it shouldn't

be hard, getting from there to here.

 

MARLANA

That is, if we can dock without any of those huffs,

you call them?

 

ELI

Hungry, ugly, freaky - (cutoff)

 

Suddenly, they all notice someone driving on the bridge. They all watch. The car crosses, and turns right. It's no longer in sight, but they listen, as it can be heard, before it begins fading, away into the hills...

 

DJ

It just took German Town Road...not sure if

that is a good thing, or not...

 

Some silence...

 

ELI

How many people you think are still living here,

or around here?

 

DJ just shaking head...

 

DJ

Obviously, at least a few... Maybe a lot... I imagine

less and less, over time...

 

Everyone just kind of looking around...

They all take notice of a random huff floating near them…

Suddenly, DJ begins to notice something, off at the shoreline. His view of three empty kayaks, resting above the shoreline. He scans the area, but sees no one around.

Eli is staring at DJ...

 

ELI

What's wrong?

 

DJ

(motioning toward kayaks)

Over there... Three kayaks...

 

Everyone looking...then all around...

 

ELI

What do we do?

 

DJ

Same thing we were planning on doing...

 

DJ begins looking ahead, toward an industrial area...

Dissolve to DJ and the others, now near the area DJ was just looking ahead to, while taking notice of a couple more floating huffs, before Eli points back toward the three kayaks.

 

ELI

Kayaks in the water!

 

DJ and everyone else turning, to look back downriver, at the kayaks...

 

SAM

Do they see us? Do they know we're here?

 

DJ

I don't know.

 

ELI

What do we do?

 

DJ

I don't know...

 

DJ just looking... His view of the kayakers, barely moving...before speeding up...toward them.

 

DJ

Yeah, they see us! S**t!

 

DJ looks at how close they are to land, and back at the other kayakers, to estimate how long until they'd make land...

 

DJ

Let’s go! Get to shore! We need to get into UPS,

before they know that's where we went!

 

Eli and Marlana begin rowing, hard...

Dissolve to DJ and the other kayak making the shoreline, and climbing out. DJ looks out at the river. His view of the channel they came through, and the other kayakers, still in the river, around the bend of the channel.

 

DJ

Hurry up. They can't see us, let's ditch the kayaks,

where they won't see them. 

 

ELI

Where's UPS?

 

DJ

Just around these buildings...we might have to

hop a fence, or two.

 

Dissolve to DJ and them, standing in front of a fence, looking at the hundreds of huffs on the other side of it, filling the UPS yard, Sandy is barking...

 

DJ

She's going to get us caught!

 

Marlana and Renee, work to keep Sandy calm/quiet...

 

ELI

You think they're on the inside, too?

 

DJ

I don't think so...(his view of opened/damaged bay

doors) I don't see any, moving around in there. Damn

it...how the hell do we get in? (looking all around)

 

Silence... Then suddenly a couple huffs can be heard somewhere behind them, approaching. Eli grips his bat, waits...and destroys the huffs as they come around corner.

DJ just staring at the dead huffs...

 

DJ

We can pull a Rhett...

 

Eli just staring at DJ. Sam too...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. UPS YARD - DAY

 

Yard completely full of huffs... They simply roam the yard... Suddenly, you can see DJ (covered in huff guts) walking through the crowd. He slowly walks (like a huff), toward door. He arrives, and slyly tries opening it. It's unlocked, but tied from inside. He moves over around corner of building, toward bay doors (most of them with trailers attached).

 

He finds one with an opening, and slowly walks over to it. He climbs up onto the dock, in between the trailer and the bay door. There is not much room. Huffs are now aware of his actions, and moving in on him. He fights hard to squeeze himself through, just missed by the huffs...

 

Dissolve to large UPS door opening...a moment later, a brown UPS truck comes driving out, with huffs (from in the yard) taking pursuit...

It drives to a big bush (next to fence). Eli and others, are all now climbing through a hole in the fence (hole covered by bush) and hopping in truck. DJ drives off.

 

DJ

YEAH! What can Brown do for you, BABY!!!

 

He drives back to UPS door, and inside. He parks quickly, jumping out. Eli jumps out with his bat. DJ runs for button to door, while Eli disposes of several huffs, who come inside, before door closes...

 

Dissolve to DJ climbing ladders onto dock. He unlatches the bay door and opens it up, providing a bunch of light. The huffs come, but are no threat, unable to climb up and inside.

 

He goes a couple doors down, and unlatches and lifts another door up, for more light. He grabs hold of the railing, and swings himself down off of the dock.

 

DJ

I used to load in those trailers.

 

He looks over at a door, and walks over to it. He opens it, but it's jammed from behind. He can see that a ton of packages and equipment, are back there, blocking it. He turns, facing everyone, thinking...

 

ELI

What?

 

Still thinking...

 

DJ

Why would someone block it? Is someone still

up there? (looking outside) What if those huffs

clutter the yard, for a reason?

 

Everyone begins looking around...

 

RENEE

Is there anything to eat here?

 

DJ thinking...

 

DJ

There’re vending machines. Those would tell us

if someone's been here. But it's UPS, there's

over a hundred thousand packages in here. I'm

sure we could find food. Maybe a ton of it.

Maybe we take a two or three-day vacation

here, wait out the danger, and get fat... before

our journey to your compound, continues...

 

Cut to DJ (now semi clean, new UPS shirt) leading others (also freshened up and in UPS sweatshirts/clothing) into break room, looking over vending machines. They're all broken and mostly drained, but some snacks do still remain. Plenty of sodas remain. They all begin digging in...

 

DJ

Someone's living here...I can just feel it...

 

SAM

What do you mean?

 

ELI

Who?

 

DJ

I don't know...maybe someone who worked here...

Once things went to s**t, someone might have

brought their family here. Thinking it'd be a good

place to survive...

 

ELI

What makes you think that?

 

DJ

(shrugging)

I don't know...I guess because it's what I'd do, if

stranded...it's what I am doing.

 

Cut to DJ shining the light, leading them through the entire ground-level part of the building, checking all around. They're still munching and drinking soda pops, and making plenty of noise, purposely trying to attract any possible huffs, who might be inside...

 

Eli takes a big swig of his soda...followed soon after, with the burp of all burps, echoing throughout the entire hub (building). Renee tries not to laugh...

 

SAM

Pretty sure every huff in Portland, is now on

their way here. Thank you very much Eli.

 

ELI

What? That was the point, right?

 

DJ

Well, we've checked all of the doors and made

plenty of noise. Either it's a huff-free zone, or

they've just become picky and want nothing to do

with a burp that smells (fanning his face) like a

freaking chocolate bbq'ed twinkie; Jesus Christ, Eli! 

 

Renee trying hard not to crack up. Sam is laughing, and Eli can't help but to chuckle. Marlana even smiles. Renee now begins struggling with hiccups, after having tried not to laugh...

 

Dissolve to DJ leading them into the unload area, where tons of packages are everywhere. Renee is still working off her hiccups...

 

DJ

Have at it guys. Start tearing them open. Or

look at the labels to see what's inside.

 

Like Christmas morning, they all begin tearing into packages...

Dissolve to everyone holding/piling through packages with food, and water. DJ begins going over to a trailer/area they haven't been to, yet. He finds packages, already ripped open. He begins looking all around...

He goes back to the others...

 

DJ

Someone has already been doing this, back over

there... I'm telling you...someone is living here...

 

MARLANA

On the upper level, you think?

 

DJ

If I'm right, then yes...

 

SAM

Were we really going to stay here, an extra day?

 

 

DJ

I honestly think it'd be the smart thing to do.

(motioning at the supplies) Obviously.

 

SAM

But what about someone living here?

 

DJ

I could just be paranoid...but yeah, we need to

be careful...gonna’ be hard, not staying at least

one night, though...

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK (day 2)

 

EXT. COMPOUND �" DAY

  

Close-up of Griffey (10, grandson of guy who killed Leo's family) and Trisha (5, girl whose mom/sister died at beach in street), panning back, as they sit in a park, with Hope (18, Scout's daughter) and Ryder (17, Scout's daughter), and the sound of others, off a ways from the park...

 

Hope is holding the hand of another young girl (Ashley, 3, same girl Zane saved in Season 1 finale, on his way back to the compound)

The other two children are quiet, scared, and still in shock.

 

LEO

(OS)

I don't care how scared they are, or what they've

been through. Their father MURDERED MY FAMILY!

 

Cut to Scout (close to Leo/many others, woodsy area in background) turning around (face full of tears) and walking away from Leo and the others.

 

DAKOTA

It was his grandfather, and those poor kids didn't

have anything to do with it! We don't even know

who the little girl is. They're in shock, like all of

us...and have barely spoken...

 

Scout reaching the park, approaching the kids...

 

SCOUT

(talking to her girls)

You guys go on to the funeral. I'll stay here with

these two.

 

Scout forces a smile, as she reaches for Trisha's hand, and leads them away. Her daughters just stand and watch. Hope is shedding tears...

 

SCOUT

Have you two seen the lake, yet? I'm going to

show you the lake. There's even a rope swing...

 

Dissolve to sad instrumental music playing, with close-up of Grandma Laura's grave. The music continues as POV pans over the graves of Mary, Troy, Angela, Baby Baker (Troy/Angela's unborn baby), Kate, Jagger, and ending with Miles...

 

Music continues, as POV moves from the graves (and the beautiful scenery), to the Baker family members (and many, many others), most of them weeping. The background is very woodsy, while the opposite side has the park, and lake in background...

 

Finally, the POV comes to Leo, standing there, staring at the graves, as people begin to exit...

Dissolve to that same POV, everyone gone, and only Zane now stands, where Leo had been...

 

ZANE

(shaking head)

This is not how it was supposed to be... Speaking

is usually my best skill...but I have no idea what to

say to all of you... Another skill set, lost to me...my

ability to avoid guilt. To not beat myself up over

things out of my control...(weeping) I'm failing so

miserably at that, right now. I should have been

there...(shaking head) I would have been...I just

didn't know...and Fish...Sam...Vincent, Greg, and

Mark... I knew something was wrong, there...

something is still wrong, there...(crying harder,

through his words) and it kills me not having you

all, at my side...when we go bring them home...

And we will bring them home. We will find them,

because...(weeping hard) I can't be digging any

more holes!... I just can't... No more of you going

into the ground...

 

He weeps uncontrollably, dropping to his knees...and yelling (as loud as he can) in agony...

Cut to Leo, sitting under a tree (with a bottle), as Zane is heard yelling in agony...

Cut back to Zane, on his knees, as his yelling comes to completion. The weeping continues...

Someone is watching/approaching from behind...

 

He reaches him, and places a hand on his shoulder. Zane flinches, and turns to see his Uncle Hunter (face of tears). Zane instantly expresses shame, and can't face him, turning back around.

 

HUNTER

What? Zane, what was that?

 

Zane just shaking head.

 

HUNTER

Why can't you look at me?

 

ZANE

(not facing him)

I was right there, Hunter... I should have prevented

it. He should still be here, with us.

 

Hunter closes eyes...and opens...

 

HUNTER

Zane... Three things... One...you have absolutely no

guilt here. If your father says differently, that is only

due to his grief. Two...I'm hurting...(trying to keep

emotions in check) like I never thought I could...

(shaking head) You imagine the pain of losing a child...

but, until you do (closing eyes)... It's you...you and the

rest of the family...that allows me to hold it together...

Three...that amazing ability of yours...to embrace

whatever life throws at you. The way you somehow

find the good, in not only everyone, but everything.

Even with nothing good here, to be found...you'll

somehow make something good, of it... I can't even

begin to imagine how, but you will...I know you will...

It's a big part of what makes you special.

 

ZANE

(still hanging his head)

Special... That word doesn't even belong in this

world, anymore.

 

HUNTER

It will...you'll see to it...it's what you do...The way you

persevere, the way you speak to people, the way those

people listen, and become motivated by your words...

Hell, only reason Dad gave me the honor he did, was

because you were too young for it... I've already made

up my mind, that I'll never make you the same offer...

(Zane not turning around, but looking up) I'll simply

give it to you...the moment you ask for it...(Zane rising)

Because it's already yours, son. You were meant

to run this place.

 

Zane faces him, face full of tears...

 

ZANE

I'm so sorry for your loss.

 

Hunter finally loses his emotions.

 

HUNTER

Our loss.

 

Hunter pulls him in tight, as they embrace...and weep...

 

GRIFFEY

(OS)

HE DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!

 

Hunter and Zane come out of embrace, looking back toward the lake.

 

ZANE

Can you check on that?... I need to say goodbye...

individually.

 

Hunter stares right at him, nodding his head...

Cut to the lake, where Leo and other family members stand, and look at a very emotional Griffey.

 

GRIFFEY

He's a nice man! He took (pointing to Trisha) her

after what happened to her family. He wanted us

all to be safe in the hotel. He thought bad people

shot the owners, and their helicopter. That's why he

shot him when he saw him holding that gun. (Griffey

now crying) He thought we were going to get shot.

 

Trisha is now crying...all the others are still staring at Griffey, some of them developing new tears...

Scout approaches, holding out her cell phone, with a picture of Troy...

 

SCOUT

Is this who he shot?

 

Griffey shakes his head.

 

GRIFFEY

No, but...

 

SCOUT

What? It's okay...

 

GRIFFEY

He was in the street (motioning to Trisha), after

her sister got hit.

 

Trisha weeping even more, at the thought. Scout changes picture, to Jagger.

 

SCOUT

Was it him?

 

Griffey looks, and slowly nods... Leo stands, shaking his head and closing eyes... He opens eyes, looks at Griffey, and walks away.

 

LEO

(while walking away)

About time you opened your damn mouth...

 

Cut to Zane, teary-eyed, but smiling. He's looking at Kate's grave.

 

ZANE

And Christmases, I'll always remember Christmases

with you. Those nights staying up late, trying to

catch Santa... I never got anything for Christmas, as

good as those memories...that I got from you...

 

He turns and faces Troy, Angela, and Baby Baker's graves. His smile fading to a frown...

 

ZANE

A family that never gets to be (tearing up again,

emotional)... I couldn't wait to meet you, Baby

Baker... I'm just so sorry, it has to wait... I have

some people in this life, who're depending on

me...but someday...someday we'll meet...

 

He looks from Baby Baker, to Angela.

 

ZANE

Thank you, Angela, for making my brother so happy.

Thank you for making me an uncle. (begins weeping

uncontrollably) I'm so sorry I'll never see you holding

my nephew, in your loving arms. I can see it right now...

 

Weeping, as he turns to Troy's grave, still weeping, and sobbing through his words...

 

ZANE

You were going to be such a great father...a baby

boy...another beautiful addition to this family...

(he begins calming his emotions)... Sand Series

Champions, baby. (emotions flaring again) We had

so much fun that day!... (emotions under control

again) We'll play again, someday, brother...

 

He takes a deep breath...a step or two, then looks at Mary's grave...

 

ZANE

You were a b***h, a terrible stepmom, and helped

make my dad the sob he is today.

 

He moves over, kisses his hand, and touches his grandmother's grave marker...

 

ZANE

I miss you, Grandma... I'm so glad you aren't here

to see this...(looking upward as he walks away)

and are up there instead, holding those, whom I

just said goodbye to...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. UPS HUB - DAY

 

Sam and the others placing items inside a UPS delivery truck (a ton of trucks lined up together), as suddenly loud music can be heard. It's "Queen - We Will Rock You".

DJ grabs his gun, Eli his bat. They all watch as some strange-looking guy (bandanna over his face and head), with a radio, comes marching around the corner, actually dancing/shaking to the tunes...

 

DJ

What the...

 

The guy suddenly puts radio down, and slides it as far as he can, toward DJ and others. Then he runs up a set of stairs, onto some equipment, and climbing on top of a delivery truck.

 

DJ

I think I know that guy.

 

Suddenly, a ton of huffs begin coming around the corner. Sandy begins barking. DJ and others begin to gather what they need. The guy on the delivery truck, begins leaping from truck to truck. DJ begins leading others, away from huffs.

 

DJ

TODD!

 

The man stops, looks at DJ. He suddenly looks remorseful, but with the huffs swarming the area, he's forced to hop onto a different staircase, and head away, to the upper floor.

 

DJ leads others, onto a conveyor belt, and under some slides, as the huffs follow from the corridor. They all begin climbing over and under belts, chutes, and slides. It looks like a real-life "chutes and ladders" game.

 

They come to a corner with only one real option for retreat. DJ opens a staircase door, but only a few inches, as it's barricaded on the other side. He begins working hard to open the door. Eli puts down his bat, and begins helping.

 

The huffs are closing in on them. Sandy is barking. Sam holds Bailey, in his carrier, as she, Renee, and Marlana, become panicked. Marlana begins pushing on the door, with them. They get it just enough, for everyone to begin squeezing through.

 

DJ is the last one, and he barely makes it, while keeping his back and pressure on the door, as the huffs work to get inside (swinging door). There is no way up the staircase, as it's blocked with packages, some very big and heavy.

 

Eli goes into beast mode, and begins moving all the packages. Sam and Renee stay back in the corner, while Marlana helps move packages against door, taking pressure off DJ, to keep the door closed. He still has to secure it, while Eli goes completely savage, using everything he has, to move heavy package after heavy package.

 

Marlana helps keep a path cleared. DJ is struggling to keep door closed. Sam hands carrier to Renee, and runs to door, helping DJ. Eli is sweaty and grunting, as he keeps working hard. Suddenly, he can see someone else, working hard from the other side. He stops for a moment, looking. It's Todd! He's clearing a path from the other side. He breaks through, and looks right at DJ.

 

TODD

Come on!

DJ

Alright Sam, Renee, get up there!

 

Marlana helps Renee, Sandy, and Sam get through. Then Eli goes. DJ takes a deep breath, and goes for it, while tossing the packages back over the path. He makes it through, with help from Todd's hand. Then they both work, to throw more packages over the pathway, blocking the huffs from coming up...

 

Dissolve to the upper level, where DJ and all the others are safe, and catching their breath (sunroofs/lanterns, providing light). DJ looks right at Todd (bandanna off face), who stares right back at him…

 

TODD

I'm sorry. This is my house...and I thought you

were a threat. I don't remember your name,

but you worked here.

 

DJ

DJ…I worked with you up here, inducting, during

last peak season.

 

MARLANA

Sorry to interrupt, but do we know for sure that all

those things can't get up there?

 

TODD

I can get them in or out of the building, whenever

I need to, but no, they can't bother us, up here.

 

DJ

So, what? You just been here since it all happened?

Came to work, and never made it home?

 

Todd stares off, in thought...

 

TODD

I was listening to the news, while working. I heard

all the wild stories and theories, flying around. That's

why I knew when I heard the evacuation alarm, that

they were shutting everything down... I live alone, in

a dangerous neighborhood as it was, (shrugging) and

figured I'd be much safer here...

 

DJ

Makes sense... I hope you don't mind company for

at least one night. All we really want, when we leave,

is a few supplies, and one of the trucks.

 

TODD

You can stay as long as you like. I wouldn't trust a

delivery truck to keep you too safe out there, though.

I made friends with the walkers, just to help keep all

the people away. Lot of trouble out there.

 

SAM

You call them walkers?

 

TODD

Figured it was either that, or biters. Which one

do you like?

 

ELI

We call them huffs.

 

Todd a weird smirk...

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

INT. COMPOUND GARAGE - DAY

 

Zane, Leo, Mason, Scout, Dakota, Chasin and Rich (Mason's boys), Wyatt and Gunner (Hunter's boys), along with five other people, all inside a huge underground garage, with over a half dozen hummers and other vehicles, including bikes and four wheelers. There are supplies, everywhere.

 

They are all wearing bulletproof vests, packing guns and supplies, and loading up 3 of the hummers. They are all quiet, and somber...

 

Leo looks over a bottle off pills, and swallows one…

 

RICH

(to Dakota)

How you holding up?

 

DAKOTA

(shaking head)

How do I answer that?... For the last twenty-four

hours, or so, all I can think or feel, is that I need

to be in three places at once. I need to go find this

person, or go help that person. Which person is

more important to me? Where do I even look for

that person? Would this person still be alive, if I

had gone there first? Would that person not be

missing, if I'd gone for her... (still shaking head)

 

Rich places a comforting hand over her shoulder...

Hunter and his wife (April, 34) enter garage, approaching the group. They all begin to somewhat huddle up, and simply stare at Hunter...

 

HUNTER

I love you all... Now go get my brothers and their

children, and bring them home, where they belong...

 

They all break for the 3 hummers, grabbing their final supplies as they climb inside. Zane shares one last hug with Hunter, before climbing in, as engines start. They drive forward, up a ramp, with doors open, as they drive up and out onto Baker Lane, heading toward the corridor, in between all the trees/brush… 

 

Dissolve to the hummers driving through the brushy corridor, in between the opening of the compound, and the gates. Those gates are now opening, as they drive through, and it closes behind them. They drive straight ahead, over the grassy road and through the field, before entering the woods…

 

Dissolve to all 3 hummers leaving the back-road, onto main highway (highway 6), turning east. The road seems very open and clear of other vehicles, other than a couple stranded ones, off to side of road...

All their faces remain somber, and they remain quiet, not a word between them, in any of the 3 vehicles...

 

Dissolve to all 3 hummers coming to a stop, in middle of road. Road blocked ahead, by army vehicles, and there is a wild shootout, between soldiers and unseen people, off to the left, behind a small market and creek (Gales Creek).

Leo is in lead vehicle, with Mason in passenger seat.

 

LEO

What the s**t is this?

 

MASON

Who are they firing at? The dead?

 

Zane (Scout in passenger seat) pulls his hummer up alongside Leo's, as guy (Jason) comes over radio (in Mason's hand).

 

JASON

What the hell's going on, up there?!

 

MASON

(into radio)

US Army's involved in some sort of shootout.

 

ZANE

(from window)

What are we doing?

 

LEO

(window)

Breaking this little party up.

 

Leo revving engine.

 

MASON

(into radio)

We're going through it!

 

Leo drives forward, right for the soldiers and their vehicles, in the road. Zane follows, as does the other hummer. The soldiers turn, briefly open fire before jumping out of road. They ram the army vehicles, moving them, and clearing a path. The soldiers want to fire on them, but are forced to watch their backs, from other shooters.

 

Leo aggressively drives through, and speeds ahead. Zane is driving though, with a look at a large group of men, in prisoner jumpsuits, putting heavy fire onto the soldiers. Zane with a grimace, as he slams on breaks, almost hit from hummer behind him.

 

ZANE

(looking at Scout)

We have to help!

 

Dakota, Wyatt, and Rich in back seats are all grabbing guns, as Leo comes over radio.

 

LEO

(over radio)

Zane, what the hell are you doing?!

 

ZANE

(into radio)

They're going to die because of us! Everyone gear

up, and supply these guys some backup!

 

LEO

(over radio)

NOOO!!!

 

Zane and everyone in the back hummer (except the doctor, Shelby), climbing out and opening fire on prisoners, who were on the advance, but now take immediate cover. They begin firing back...

Leo, Mason, Gunner, and Chasin all arrive, placing heavy fire on the prisoners. The soldiers become more aggressive, and the prisoners are forced to begin retreating, into the woods...

 

The soldiers begin going after them, but Zane and his people, hold back...

 

SOLDIER

(yelling back at Zane)

Come on! We need your help!

 

ZANE

This isn't our fight! We just saved your lives.

Now get out of here, like we are!

 

Zane and them turn to leave, as soldiers continue on.

 

LEO

You could have gotten some of us killed! For

this?! And you call yourself a leader?!

 

ZANE

Shut your mouth and go!

 

Zane climbs in, starting engine. He drives off, followed by the other one, and taking lead over Leo, who has yet to return to his vehicle...

Dissolve to hummers coming to end of highway 6. There is a huge car crash/pile up on opposite side of road (right at intersection onto highway, blocking any traffic from entering). There are tons of vehicles stuck off the road, who clearly had tried to drive off-road, to reach the other highway.

 

They enter onto Highway 26, clear of traffic on their side, but other side is completely congested with abandoned vehicles, and tons that are stuck in the fields, off from the road. Zane and everyone in his vehicle, look out at it all...

 

LEO

(over radio)

Was it like this yesterday?

 

SCOUT

(into radio)

Not like this...plus there were people...(off radio,

talking to Zane) Where'd all the people go?

 

ZANE

(mumbling)

For the hills…

 

Zane just looking all around...then motions outward. A family of people rest in the shade, under a bridge. As they drive further, they see more and more stranded people/families/groups, resting or traveling, on foot. Some with pets, small children, and whatever they can carry.

 

Some of them are out in the farm fields, hiking. Some people remain in their cars. Eventually, they come across remains of dead people. Then they see no one around, before eventually passing a few huffs, who walk in between the cars, on other side of road...

Rich is carefully looking at all the cars, as is Dakota...Rich looks her way.

 

RICH

You thinking same thing as me?

 

DAKOTA

Dam right, I am...

 

They keep watching, in silence…

Shelby, Jason, and the other 3 (Porter, Colton, and Weston), all looking out and around...

Leo and his crew, all looking out and around...

Rich and Dakota, still watching the cars carefully... Suddenly, Rich notices something.

 

RICH

Wait... (freaking out) STOP!

 

Dakota staring at Rich, with hope in her face. He climbs outside, and points, as Dakota climbs out.

 

RICH

Is that...

 

Dakota staring in direction he's pointing. She suddenly begins freaking out and immediately running that direction.

Her POV of a woman climbing out of a black SUV, who eventually begins freaking out, herself.

Everyone else is piling out of the hummers, watching, except Rich, who is not far behind Dakota, trotting her way...

 

Dakota approaches, as a man (Brody), a teen boy (Kyle), and a preteen boy (Ethan), all climb out of SUV, as the woman (Cleo, 20) begins running toward Dakota. They meet and immediately fall into one another's arms...

Rich soon arrives and splits them up, demanding his own hug.

 

CLEO

(hugging Rich)

I knew you guys would come, that's why we waited!

 

They come out of hug, and Cleo locks eyes with Dakota, both smiling from ear to ear. They embrace again, this time at the lips, sharing a kiss while Rich smiles and watches, along with Cleo's dad and brothers, and everyone at the hummers...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. UPS HUB - DAY

 

"Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl", blasting on radio, from back of opened up UPS delivery truck, as it drives into hub. Once inside, DJ closes hub door, with huffs all outside, approaching...

Todd jumps out of delivery truck. Eli picks up his bat, that he had lost, and talking to it.

 

ELI

Hey baby, I promise not to lose you again.

 

Sandy is barking, in a playful way. Todd shuts off the radio...

Dissolve to Todd untying a rope/lock on a door, opening it, leading to a staircase. He and the others begin walking through, all carrying supplies.

 

TODD

I keep this one locked from the outside, so that

walkers, or huffs, can't get  themselves inside.

(rope hanging from inside knob, Todd begins

tying) I keep it locked from this side, just in case

anyone gets inside, like you guys did. This way I

have a route, to pull my supplies up with.

 

Todd and them arriving up to top level, placing down supplies, in the area where Todd has his bedding and living area. He actually has a bed, blankets, and pillows. He has paintings and pictures hung up, or placed against the wall/machinery. There’s a closet, with clothes hung up inside. There’s a table, and chairs. There were random family photos on the table. There was a shelf, with plenty of food. Eli notices several bats, leaning up near Todd's bed. He goes for them.

 

DJ

You lugged a bed up here?

 

Eli grabbing one of the bats, reading what it says, on the barrel.

 

ELI

UPS delivery stick, nice! (begins swinging) You're

totally going to let me keep this, right?

 

TODD

Most things weren't too difficult getting up here.

The bed was a two-man job though, and since I

didn't have two men, it was a two-day job...but,

it's home.

 

MARLANA

It's very...cozy.

 

SAM

(looking around)

You're surviving like we did...above the dead...

 

Dissolve to Bailey in litter box, cleaning up after himself, then zipping back over to his carrier, as Todd, DJ, and Eli arrive, with more supplies. Marlana, Sam, and Renee all work at organizing stuff. They all have sleeping area's now, with more food, and some alcohol...

 

DJ

So, Sam, if it's okay with you, we're thinking we'll

take Todd up on his offer to stay a few days. I know

you're in a hurry.

 

SAM

Tonight, and tomorrow night...we leave first thing

the following day.

 

Everyone just kind of staring at Sam...Todd with a growing smile...

 

TODD

I like her...

 

Dissolve to everyone eating/laughing. Todd, DJ, and Marlana all have some alcohol.

 

ELI

Come on, it's the apocalypse. Thirteen-year-olds

should be allowed to drink. 

 

TODD

Give the kid his first taste.

 

DJ looks to Marlana, who smiles and nods. DJ grabs bottle and pours some wine into a glass, handing to Eli. He sniffs, and takes a sip. He follows it up by downing the rest of the glass, with a few laughs.

Sam looks at DJ, who looks back at her.

 

DJ

Don't even think about it!

 

Few more laughs...

 

SAM

That's not fair! (looking at Renee) Help me

out here, Renee.

 

RENEE

(shaking head)

Not happening. Smells gross.

 

DJ staring at Todd...

 

DJ

So...you were pretty loony back when I worked

with you, inducting. (Todd smiling) Getting any

worse, now that you're all alone, here? (DJ smiling)

 

Few laughs…

Dissolve to DJ flashing back to a time where he and Todd were working, right there, inducting small packages onto a moving tray. Other people were doing the same thing, and it was fairly noisy, with all the machinery and belts running.

 

They had big chutes, dropping TONS of small packages at them, as they inducted them onto the moving trays. DJ is just arriving, and climbing up and into his pit, next to the pit that Todd worked inside of. There is a guy on the other side of DJ, as well, along with workers on opposite side of the trays. DJ is taking off his jacket, and preparing himself to work.

 

RANDOM GUY

(inducting packages)

What's up, DJ?

 

DJ

Nothing, man. Just dying to get this day over

with, and go get my grub on, tomorrow.

 

RANDOM GUY

I can already smell turkey!

 

ANOTHER GUY

(inducting packages)

I’ve been starving myself all week, just to go crazy

tomorrow! Stuffing and leftover turkey sandwiches!

 

DJ looks at both guys, and mimics "Ross" from friends.

 

DJ

Myyyy sandwich, MYYYY sandwich!

 

Those guys laughing.

 

GIRL

(inducting packages)

Just sucks not having the four-day weekend,

anymore, thanks to all the new volume.

 

GUY

You know the new rule, too, right? Don't show up

Friday, and you’re out holiday pay for Thursday.

 

DJ

Yeah, they were announcing it at PCM... Gotta’

love peak season...

 

They all stare at Todd, who suddenly begins singing, loudly. They just watch and listen.

 

TODD

“I used to love this weekend, going out of town,

But not this year, not while working for Brown,

For this reason, I'm not feeling very forgiving,

as I show up to work, and learn we have to be

here the day after Thanksgiving!”

 

Everyone had been watching him with skeptical expressions, but all laughing after his last rhyme...

Dissolve to Sam and all of them laughing, as DJ tells that story...

 

TODD

My favorite was (mimicking "We Will Rock You),

"We will, we will, induct you!"

 

Some laughs, as Sam is sneaking a drink of DJ's glass, that he left on table...

Todd is staring at Sandy...

 

TODD

You guys should leave me the dog.

 

Everyone quiets, and stares from Todd, to the dog...

 

RENEE

What?

 

TODD

The dog, you should let me keep her. You guys

mentioned having to probably hike the last forty

or fifty miles. Her barking could be a problem for

you. I've already seen years worth of dog food

here, there's probably even more...

 

Renee nervously looking from Todd, to DJ, who ponders Todd's thought, with a look back at Renee...

Dissolve to Renee with tears, standing with DJ in the sort aisle (on steel catwalk, above a ton of slides, chutes, pits, and ladders)...

 

DJ

She would be happy here, and safe. With us, she's

a liability. That means she could put us in danger. 

 

RENEE

But she saved us, and found us. She's meant

to be with us.

 

DJ

If we have to hide, from huffs or dangerous

people, she could get us caught.

 

RENEE

Or save us!

 

DJ thinking, as Renee leans on railing, staring downward...

 

DJ

You heard Todd say himself, he'd come to the

compound, if we came back for him. Which is

very likely, because there's a ton of supplies

here worth coming for. That would be a much

safer way of getting Sandy there...

 

Renee continues looking downward, dropping tears...

Suddenly, a gunshot is fired, echoing through the hub, as the shot just misses Renee.

DJ in shock, but grabbing Renee as they run along the catwalk, around corner and heading over toward the induct area, where Todd and them come running to look...

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

EXT. HIGHWAY ROAD (outside the city, Clackamas County) - EVENING

 

All 3 hummers driving along, everything is smooth and quiet, just some random vehicles here and there, off side of road...

 

The lead hummer turns onto back road, driving along a river, with random homes here and there. They come to a home, and pull into parking area. They all pull onto lawn, driving over toward brush, parking inside the brush (to hide vehicles). Zane climbs out of the lead hummer, stretching. Everyone else is climbing out.

 

SCOUT

Fish and I used to love staying here. It's what

inspired the cabin he has now.

 

ZANE

Which is where we should have been crashing tonight.

 

SCOUT

We'll be there tomorrow. Getting Cleo's family back

to the main highway, didn't even slow us down much.

We would have had to call it a day here, anyhow.

Taking this longer route was a good call, roads are way

more open than the main one.

 

ZANE

I just hope there are no more delays...

 

Many heading toward large house, as Leo is at front door, unlocking and opening up.

Dakota and Cleo walk toward the shoreline of the river (smaller river with rocks you can use to cross it).

 

CLEO

So cool that you guys even have a road doctor,

let alone compound docs, and even surgeons.

 

They both begin walking out on the rocks, looking around at all the beauty. Cleo glances back toward the house, at Shelby, who's entering inside.

 

CLEO

And the road doc, (shaking her head) makes me

wish I was hurting!

 

Dakota throwing her a frisky smile.

 

CLEO

That’s what you get, for trying to talk me into going

back to the compound, and let you come out here

without me.

 

DAKOTA

I can't believe you let me spend the first twenty-four

hours of the apocalypse, wondering if I'd ever see

you again!

 

CLEO

(smiling)

It was worth it, just to hear you say that right now.

I like to be worried about.

 

They come to the same rock, embrace, and kiss...

 

CLEO

(coming out of kiss)

Yep...world hasn't changed that much. Still feel

safe whenever you do that.

 

Cleo becoming serious, looking Dakota in the eyes, and grabs her face/chin...

 

CLEO

I'm so sorry about your family...you are so

incredibly strong.

 

Dakota becoming teary-eyed, and leaning back in for another kiss...

Rich smiling from the porch, as he watches Cleo and Dakota. Then he looks over at Zane and Scout, who are walking along the river, when they suddenly begin reaching for their guns. Rich yells inside.

 

RICH

Something's happening!

 

Rich begins running toward Zane and Scout, as others come running out of house. Cleo and Dakota leap (skillfully) from rock to rock, to reach shoreline, and run toward Zane and Scout...

Scout aims her gun, as Zane places his hand over it.

 

ZANE

Save your ammo...

 

Scout and Zane just staring out into river. Rich arrives, also looking, then everyone else begins arriving, stopping and staring into river...

 

Their POV of about a dozen huffs, in the shallow river, struggling to rise or walk, as they slip and fall on the slippery rocks, every time they make it to their feet. It's almost comical. They simply cannot crawl or walk their way out of the river...

 

They are all army soldiers, with gunshot wounds. One of them is close to the shoreline, as Leo approaches it, and sticks a knife in its skull. Everyone staring at him.

 

LEO

It's as easy as that. Just don't let em' bite you.

Learn to take em' out without wasting ammo...

 

Leo looks at everyone...

 

LEO

Go ahead, get yourself some practice...

 

Zane and others, pulling out fancy wooden spears, and stepping onto rocks, into river toward the "stuck" huffs. Most of the huffs are still stuck, trying to rise or crawl, while others have drifted downriver, a bit. Zane is the first to reach one, and stick it in the skull, with his spear. Porter sticks one, then Scout, followed by Dakota, with a look from Cleo.

 

CLEO

This is why I love your family.

 

Cleo hovers over a stuck huff, gingerly using her spear to jab at his skull, as both Rich and Wyatt easily kill off a couple more huffs.

 

CLEO

You're taking these things out like you've been

doing it your entire lives!

 

Cleo still jabbing at it...

 

CLEO

I mean, I'm trying my best not to be such a woman,

here, but...a day ago or so, there was no such thing

as living dead people.

 

Finally she sticks her spear through its head, with a cringe...

 

CLEO

I'm cringing, but...I kinda’ enjoyed that.

 

Mason, Gunner, Chasin, Porter, and Colton all jab spears into remaining huffs...

 

DISSOLVE TO: NIGHT

 

INT. HOUSE LIVING ROOM - NIGHT

 

Everyone camped out inside, with lanterns on.

 

SCOUT

We need to keep someone awake, around the clock.

Whoever took those soldiers out (shaking head)...

not someone we want problems with.

 

LEO

Whoever they are, would do well for themselves

to not have problems with us.

 

Dissolve to Cleo and Rich stepping outside, onto the porch, to keep guard, with guns and spears.

 

RICH

You should be getting some sleep.

 

CLEO

(putting on bullet proof vest)

I can sleep once we're at the compound...I wanna’

spend time with my best friend.

 

Suddenly, a gunshot goes off, nailing Rich (who was holding his vest) in the chest, dropping him, as Cleo screams.

 

CLEO

RICH!

 

She takes cover and looks, as a man is approaching. Zane comes charging out door, looking ahead, then down at Rich, going down to him, as Leo (Mason and others, right behind) charges out and down porch, running and firing at the man, who is now retreating. Mason stops, realizing his boy has been shot, and races to his side.

 

ZANE

SHELBY!!!

 

Cleo coming to Zane and Rich. Leo fires and hits the gunman, who goes down.

Shelby comes out onto porch, immediately supplying aid to Rich.

 

SHELBY

We need to get him inside!

 

Leo arriving at dead person, revealing he's dead, then sticking spear in his head...

He takes notice of a walkie talkie, next to the body...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. HOUSE LIVING ROOM - MORNING

 

Everyone awake, looking grim/somber. Dakota and Cleo next to each other, with tear-dried faces...

Shelby comes out of back room, everyone looking at her, Mason coming right to her...

 

SHELBY

He has a chance...but we can't move him. He has

to improve, and become somewhat stable, before

we move him, straight back to the compound.

 

ZANE

How long could that be?

 

SHELBY

Week...two...

 

Zane just shaking his head...

 

LEO

We...we have to split up. Half of us stay here,

the other half goes for the cabin.

 

Zane still shaking head.

ZANE

That guy out there is not working alone. (holding

radio) They already know he's missing. They killed

at least a dozen soldiers. We split up, and whoever

stays here, is likely dead.

 

LEO

Fine, then we go after these guys, take the party

to them, get this crap over with, and go get my

little brothers.

 

Zane again shaking head...

 

ZANE

Fine...but slow down, Dad. Think...

 

LEO

What I think, is I've already lost enough family!

We need to get to that cabin!

 

ZANE

And we need to be smart! Or these people can

hurt us! You just said it, Dad. We've lost enough!

 

Leo looking at Zane...

 

LEO

You're right...let's put our heads together...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. UPS HUB (smalls area) - DAY

 

DJ and Renee arriving to Todd and others, near his sleeping area, as they all look out toward the creepy sort aisle (dark, looks like a maze of ladders and passageways, with chutes, conveyor belts and ladders underneath.

 

DJ

How the hell did someone else get in here?!

 

TODD

You said you had some people after you!

 

DJ

And what...they got into the yard while the huffs

were inside, then forced their way in, once we

let them back out?

 

TODD

(shrugging)

Makes sense to me.

 

DJ thinking, then sharing a look with Todd...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. UPS HUB (lower level) - DAY

 

Todd carefully sneaking down off a chute, onto a covered area. He climbs over a railing, onto some steps, and runs down and over to a delivery truck. He quietly opens up the back. A radio sits inside. He turns it on, full blast.

 

"M.I.A. - Paper Planes" is playing over radio (at part that mentions "packed and delivered, like a UPS truck). Todd runs over to the truck door, opening it up, and running back the way he came...

 

Huffs quickly begin filling the hub/building…

Dissolve to 3 panicked men running down UPS corridor, when suddenly DJ rises from inside a chute/slide, and Eli rises from one of his own. Both of them immediately firing on the men. Killing them all...

 

Cut to 3 more men, also in hurry to save themselves. Suddenly, a delivery truck starts up, and pulls out, blocking their path, trapping them, as the huffs close in on them. They begin screaming, as Todd shuts off engine, and climbs up on top. He hops on to the next one over, and the one after that, eventually coming to a set of stairs, that he climbs up to, and disappears...

 

Cut to both DJ and Eli, hiding down inside chutes/slides, as huffs walk all around and below them. Todd comes in over the radio.

 

TODD

(over radio)

I think we got them all...

 

Both DJ and Eli rising, looking around...

 

ELI

How do we know for sure?

 

DJ

I don't think there was more than six of them, in

the kayaks we saw earlier this morning, or before

we got followed over here. (into radio) Agreed, but

why not just leave our allies here, inside for a while?

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

EXT. RIVER SHORELINE - DAY

 

Zane, Scout, Dakota, Wyatt, and Weston (all in vests and carrying machine guns) are all hiking along the river shoreline. They enter river, using rocks to step on, as they get further downriver...

Once they get around the corner, they come to a spot, not far from the road. They leave shoreline, into the brush. Zane pulls out radio.

 

ZANE

(into radio)

I see something in the road...looks like army vehicles.

Could be where it all went down.

 

LEO

(over radio)

I see it...looks clear. Go ahead and check it out.

We'll hold back and cover...

 

Zane cautiously leading everyone out near the road, looking over the vehicles. There are several more bodies (head wounds), and blood everywhere...

 

SCOUT

Jesus...

 

ZANE

Whoever did this...has some serious firepower...

 

Zane begins walking up road, speaking into radio.

 

ZANE

(into radio)

Four more bodies. These guys were taken out

by someone with some serious firepower… I'm

continuing up road. Will head back to the

shoreline and play it safe. You guys keep up and

stay out of sight.

 

LEO

(over radio)

Rodger that.

 

Leo is on other side of road, leading Mason, Gunner, Chasin, and Porter, through the brush. They're all wearing vest and carrying machine guns. Jason is heard over radio.

 

JASON

(over radio)

Everything quiet, here...

 

Everyone going along, in silence...

 

ZANE

(over radio)

We have vehicles coming!

 

Leo and everyone freeze, and get down, while watching the road...

First, they can hear the sound of several vehicles, before watching one after another go by. It looks like an army of gangsters. 7 large SUV's, full of them...

 

LEO

(into radio)

Get back to the house, now!

 

Dissolve to all 7 of the gangster SUV's parked in road, in front of the house. Over forty men, armed and staring at the house, and Jason, who lays at doorway, behind a 50-cal riffle...

 

Now Zane and his group coming from the shoreline, all pointing their guns toward the road, and coming to a stop, in the yard. The gangsters pointing guns back at them...

Now Leo and his group coming from brush, back behind the gangsters, pointing guns right at them. Gangsters turn and aim at them...

 

Now Colton, Cleo, and Shelby aim guns from cabin door/windows...

It's a complete standoff...

 

Everyone looking amongst one another, without a single word...

Eventually, the lead gangster, lowers his gun and climbs into vehicle. The rest of his men do the same, and they drive away...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. UPS HUB (lower level) - NIGHT

 

Bay door is open, and a fire is burning in a firepot/pit, on the dock, next to the bay door. Huffs are down below, outside the door. Sam, Renee, Eli, and Todd are roasting marshmallows. DJ and Marlana are down below, spreading chocolate on gram crackers.

 

Eli pulls his marshmallow away, as it catches fire. He blows it out, and flicks it out at the huffs. They ignore it...

 

ELI

Oh, come on guys. It's delicious, better than

what you normally go for.

 

Sam and Renee handing marshmallows to Marlana, who puts them on the chocolate gram crackers.

 

DJ

(talking to Marlana)

So...what did Marlana do before all this?

 

She smiles at him...

 

MARLANA

Guess...

 

DJ

Oh crap, guess I walked myself into that one.

Umm, let's see...(staring at her)... A therapist?

Physical therapist?

 

MARLANA

Close enough... Guidance counselor, at Wilson High

School... What about you? I've read a lot of bulletin

board information here, claiming the school benefits

are great. Do you take any classes?

 

DJ

I wanted to. But I worked the night shift, and my

mom worked afternoons and evenings. Which only

left mornings for sleep.

 

MARLANA

Did you have to stay with Renee?

 

DJ

I didn't have to...but it was either that…or Dad...

 

Marlana just staring at him...

 

MARLANA

Quite the big brother, aren't you? (speaking quietly)

Can I ask something, personal?

 

DJ

Yes, I'm gay...

 

Marlana surprised, and staring at him...

 

MARLANA

How'd you know that's what I was going to ask?

 

DJ

How'd you'd know it was safe enough to ask?

 

MARLANA

Touché...

 

DJ begins eating a smores, while handing one to Sam and Renee, as they climb down off the dock. Marlana hands one to Todd and Eli, as they climb down from the other side... 

 

Dissolve to Todd in his bed, as Sandy leaps up there with him. Sam and all the others, tucking themselves inside their beds. Sam helping Bailey get comfortable in her sleeping space. Renee looks over at Sandy. Eli brings his delivery stick into bed with him. Sam begins looking out toward the dark sort aisle. A couple lanterns are still on...

 

SAM

It's creepy up here, at night...

 

Todd shuts off his lantern (only one remains on).

 

RENEE

I know!

 

ELI

I know I’ve been Mr. Tough Guy, lately, but anyone

turn off that last lantern, and I'll scream like a girl!

 

Sam and Renee both laugh...

 

DJ

Perfect setting for a killer ghost story...if it

wasn't for the real-life one, outside...

 

Silence...

 

TODD

My uncle told a great ghost story once...

 

Silence...

Sam and Renee share a funny look...

 

ELI

Annnddd?

 

Sam and Renee laughing...

 

TODD

Oh, I don't remember it, I just remember him telling it.

 

ELI

What the?!

 

Sam, Renee, and Marlana laughing...

 

ELI

Is that why you're so crazy? That ghost story messed

you up, or something? (laughter) Give you scars?

(more laughs) It actually explains a lot.

 

TODD

I'm not the one screaming like a girl, if the final

lantern goes out.

 

Sam and Renee laughing...

                                

DJ

He's got you there.

 

ELI

Oh, you mean he can actually remember me saying

that? ‘Cause I would have thought he’d forgotten,

by now.

 

Everyone laughing...

 

TODD

Ouch...crazy people have feelings, too...and when

hurt, they sometimes make you better understand

just how much, by holding a knife to your throat

while you sleep...(some gasps) There's always

medication, but I've always preferred knives…

 

ELI

Man, what the... One lantern isn't enough anymore!

I want lights on his a*s at all times!

 

DJ

Whooaaa, Todd, that's uhh...kind of thing that

makes me feel safer sleeping outside, with a

yard full of hungry ugly freaky fackers'!

 

Sam, Eli, and Renee laughing...

 

SAM

You can say the word, in front of me, my cousins

cuss like sailors!

 

DJ

It's not you I'm worried about, it's Todd. He's

too immature for those kind of words.

 

Sam and Renee laughing...

 

TODD

My uncle told me a bad word once...

 

Silence...with a quick chuckle from Renee, trying to hold it in...

 

ELI

OH GREAT, here we go again! I'll ask anyhow.

Annnddd?

 

Everyone laughing...

 

TODD

I don't remember the word, I just remember

him saying it.

 

Sam and Renee cracking up, as is Marlana…

 

ELI

Oh my God! DJ, I'm scared! (Sam/Renee laughing)

More lights, please!

 

Suddenly, the last light goes out, and true to his word, Eli screams like a girl, which echoes into the sort aisle, and through the entire hub, followed by extreme laughter from the girls and everyone else...

 

Dissolve to morning, with Eli in bed, waking before all the others. He stretches, and rises. He hears a noise, and walks over to the other work area, and down a large set of steps, where a huff is on the other side of the barricade.

 

ELI

How the hell did you get in here?

 

Suddenly, the huff begins moving parts of the barricade. It simply picks items up, chucking them below. And a ton more huffs are quickly coming up the steps.

Eli watches in shock, then scared shitless, by DJ, from behind, who is rushing to stop the huffs.

 

ELI

These ones are different!

 

DJ

They’re evolving!

 

Suddenly all the huffs simply crawl over the barricade and are rushing like the zombies from World War Z, and jump right on top of both DJ and Eli.

 

Cut to Eli in bed (still dark), waking up from the dream, and quickly looking all around. He sees everyone in bed, and goes back to sleep…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. UPS HUB (lower level) - DAY

 

DJ opening UPS door, letting one huff inside, as door closes behind it. DJ runs away, as Eli steps forward, with the delivery stick in his hand. He pushes the huff away.

 

ELI

See how stupid they are, just avoiding the mouth

is the key, and then...

 

Eli steps forward and smashes its head in.

 

ELI

The head is the kill shot...

 

TODD

You uh...make it look so easy...

 

Eli hands bat to Sam, as Marlana and DJ drag the huff away...

 

ELI

You ready for this?

 

SAM

I'm a Baker, you better believe I am.

 

DJ opens door, letting another inside. DJ runs behind Sam, who holds the bat. The huff approaches. Sam pushes herself to become aggressive, and lunges forward. DJ looks nervous, but Sam takes one mighty swing, nailing it in the head.

It wasn't hard enough, and Sam becomes panicked, but then instantly a spear goes into its head, by the hands of DJ...

 

Sam gets frustrated, swinging the bat down at the dead huff.

 

SAM

Damn it! I hit like a girl!

 

Todd shrugging.

 

TODD

That's more than I could have done.

 

RENEE

Me too.

 

SAM

AGAIN!

 

DJ and Eli dragging huff into corner, opening door. They both run from huff, as Sam charges it. Again, DJ becomes nervous. Sam takes total control though, and nails the huff with a mighty blow to the skull, killing him...

 

Dissolve to DJ opening door, allowing in a huff, and running from it. This time it's Marlana, who holds the bat nervously, waiting for the huff to arrive. As it does, she decides to push it away from her.

 

DJ

You okay?

 

MARLANA

Yes…just getting a feel for it.

 

She pushes it back one more time, then prepares to swing the bat. She finds her moment, and slugs it right in the head, dropping him instantly.

 

DJ

Nice!

 

Dissolve to DJ opening door again, allowing inside another huff, and running from it. He steps right behind Renee, who holds the bat.

 

DJ

You got this, Renee! I’ll get it, if anything goes wrong!

 

She holds the bat, tightly. She swings hard, but only hits the chest. DJ pushes it back with his spear.

 

DJ

Swing again!

 

She does, and nails it! It's still alive, and DJ gives it the kill shot, just like he did for Sam.

 

 

DJ

That was great, Renee! It wasn't quite hard

enough, but you got his head!

 

Dissolve to DJ looking at Renee, who is ready, as he opens the door, allowing in another, but right behind it, is a small child huff, who also gets inside. He's maybe 2 or 3, and so small that he comes at you faster, like a baby, not used to walking. It looks like a Chucky doll! Renee screams, as does Sam!

 

Like a baby, the tiny huff falls, before rising, as DJ quickly kills the bigger one, with his spear. The smaller one is already past him. Eli comes for it, blasting it with his bat, as its body parts go splattering all over the place, and all over DJ...

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

INT. HOUSE BEDROOM - DAY

 

Shelby aiding Rich. Day turns to night, night to day, and so on, several times, as Shelby continues to aid him, while he just sleeps...

 

Outside, they work on constructing a barricade, around the front of the house, and most of the side. Zane continues to check on Rich, and chat with Shelby. The days go by...Rich continues to sleep, and Shelby continues to work on him...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. WOODS - DAY

 

A deer peacefully standing in the woods. It is suddenly struck with an arrow. Dakota proudly approaches the deer, while carrying a crossbow...

 

Cut to a rabbit, peacefully moving around in the woods, then becoming still. Suddenly, it's struck by an arrow, and dies. Leo walks toward it, carrying a crossbow, and a ton of other rabbits. Both Gunner and Chasin (also carrying crossbows), follow behind...

 

Cut to Dakota carrying her deer, with Cleo and Scout (carrying crossbows). They're walking into the yard of the house they're staying at. The entire yard is now barricaded, with fencing, logs, debris, and whatever they could find. The hummers are parked up front, near the porch. Jason and Porter are standing guard there...

 

Dissolve to night, with a fire burning, as they cook the deer meat. Most of them are outside, around the fire. Gunner and Chasin are guarding at the porch. Shelby is inside, changing rags on Rich...

Zane is staring off, into the fire, shaking his head...

 

ZANE

Almost two weeks now...I keep finding ways to

let my family down. I just keep picturing

Samantha, whatever their situation is, and all

her disappointed in me...

 

SCOUT

I know what you mean...and their situation...what

if they got stuck somewhere else...and they're just

not there anymore... Where do we go from there?

 

Zane shaking head...

 

ZANE

We just weren't prepared...even though that’s

exactly what we always thought we were.

 

Zane staring off into the fire...

Silence...

 

LEO

Hunter wasn't prepared, for it...

 

ZANE

(sarcastically)

What...you saying you would have been? You had

the dead people turning into the walking dead,

on your list of things to be ready for?

 

LEO

I had the unexpected on the list, you little smartass.

With the right resources and authority, I would have

had things under much better control than our

current situation...than the current situation of Fish

and Vincent’s families…of your siblings, and my wife...

 

Silence...

 

CLEO

I like walking dead… I say we call em’ the walking dead.

 

Dakota hiding a smile, everyone else silent...

 

CLEO

What...better than just calling em' the dead...

 

More silence...

 

LEO

I'm done with this s**t...

 

Everyone staring at Leo, he looks up, and stares at Zane...

 

LEO

You want to see a true leader, do his thing? (looking

around at all the others) I don't care how

outnumbered we are...we're smarter, more prepared…

more hungry, and led (looking right at Zane) by two

amazing leaders... We’re taking these mother gangsters

out, first thing in the morning!

 

Half of them nodding, half of them just staring...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. BACK ROAD �" MORNING

 

Jason and Porter, creeping up toward a privately secured gate. They use their machine guns to break it open. They run inside, and disappear into the woods/brush...

Everything is silent for a while...

 

Eventually, you can hear vehicles coming. 8 SUV's come tearing down the road. They come to the gate, stopping in between it. Suddenly, one of the hummers comes around corner, stopping, as Colton pops up top, securing the 50-cal, opening fire on all the SUV's.

 

Zane and half the others, coming from brush on one side of the road, while Leo and the other half come from brush on other side. They all open fire on the SUV's. Jason and Porter come out from brush, behind the SUV's, opening fire.

 

The gangsters all climb out of SUV's, either being hit instantly, or returning fire. Most of them are being killed. But they are returning heavy fire now. Weston is hit and killed. Jason gets hit, and goes down.

 

They begin taking whatever cover they can. Colton is blasting them with the 50 cal. He gets hit though, but in the vest. He's hurting, but begins firing again. Mason gets hits in the chest, going down. The vest saves him, but he's in pain.

 

Eventually, the gangsters are all wiped out. A couple more are hiding in the SUV's, before shot by Zane and Leo. Mason is getting to his feet. Porter is aiding Jason. Dakota hugs her head against Cleo's head. Gunner and Chasin check on Mason. Colton reaches downward, sharing a handshake with Wyatt. Scout is somberly looking over Weston's body, before the others come to do the same...

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

Everyone back at the house. Porter and Colton are placing Jason, down on a bed, as Shelby begins working on him. She glances at both Dakota and Cleo, happy to see they're okay...

Dissolve to Zane, Leo, Scout, Mason, and Shelby on porch.

 

SHELBY

He's out of the woods. (Mason expressing major

relief) He can travel in another day or two. Jason

is fine and can travel now, but needs rest.

 

Leo looking at Zane...

 

LEO

We leave now, we can make it there by nightfall...

Porter and Colton can supply them with

manpower. We’ll leave them the 50-cal. The rest

of us go for the cabin...

 

Zane just staring at Leo...before nodding his head...

Dissolve to everyone packing 2 of the hummers. Cleo at the river, with Dakota...

 

DAKOTA

You're staying with Richie, aren't you?

 

Cleo looking right at her, nodding...

 

CLEO

He needs me...They need me. Another day or two

here, and a long trip back. (Cleo teary-eyed, looking

right into her eyes) I was right there next to him...

talking to him...when...it happened. I have to be

there for him...

 

Dakota looking right into her eyes...

 

DAKOTA

I know you do...and I'm glad you'll be there for

him... (weeping) I love the relationship you two

have. (embracing) I love you!

 

CLEO

I love you, too...so much...

 

They share a quick kiss, and begin walking up toward the hummers...

 

Leo, Mason, Gunner, and Chasin all climb into one hummer, while Zane, Scout, and Wyatt all climb into the other. Dakota arrives with Cleo, sharing one more hug and kiss, before Dakota climbs inside. She stares out the window at her, as they begin driving away. She continues watching her, and then leaning against window, closing her eyes...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. UPS HUB (lower level) - DAY

 

Everyone filling UPS truck, with supplies. Renee plays with Sandy. DJ and Eli have new backpacks, for everyone, and work at loading them. Todd approaches Renee, and Sandy...

 

TODD

I really enjoyed having you all here. I even fell in

love with Sandy, here (petting/hugging her). I hope

you know how much I hope to see you all again,

when you come back to pick us up. Until then, I am

going to take such great care of her...

 

RENEE

Just don't let her get outside, around all those

huffs (huffs can be heard outside). I can't think

about them getting her.

 

TODD

She has plenty of food, and you saw the bathroom,

I made her. It's like a five-star hotel in there.

 

Renee smiling...

Sam comes over, hugging Sandy... Marlana is petting her, too...

Sam gives Renee a hug...

Todd approaches DJ and Eli...

 

TODD

You guys sure you can make it?

 

DJ looking to Eli...

 

DJ

Even Eli, here, now believes it...doesn't he?

 

Eli nodding...

 

ELI

He's starting to...

 

DJ smiling...then looking to Todd...

 

DJ

If only you truly knew everything these kids

have been through. It’d simply be a crime for

them not to make it.

 

Todd simply smiling...

DJ begins helping Eli with some heavy items/packages, that they begin placing in back of the truck, as scene dissolves...

 

Dissolve to the UPS yard, where huffs roam the area, as the hub door begins opening. A delivery truck comes out, turns corner, and drives through yard, music blasting from radio ("Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight", from beginning), in the back. The huffs all follow the truck...

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_OfmrPAfo )

 

It takes a while, but eventually they all clear away...

 

MUSIC

"I can feel it, coming in the air tonight...oh Lord"

 

Second delivery truck, pulling out, and driving forward...

 

MUSIC

"And I've been waiting for this moment...all my life...Oh Lord"

 

DJ hopping out of truck, opening up gate, and climbing back inside...

 

MUSIC

"Can you feel it, coming in the air tonight...Oh Lord, Oh Lord"

 

Truck driving through gate, happy, excited expressions on everyone inside, as they drive out of POV, which stays on hub door...

 

Music is instrumental for several moments, while POV remains on hub door. More lyrics play, as eventually Todd comes to hub door (from inside), and begins closing it, on the POV...

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

INT. HUMMER - NIGHT

 

"In The Air Tonight" plays into the flashback.

 

MUSIC

"I can feel it, coming in the air tonight...Oh Lord"

 

Leo driving hummer off main road, onto back road, as second hummer follows him, past a sign reading "Private Road".

 

MUSIC

"I've been waiting for this moment, for all my life...Oh Lord"

 

Zane and Scout looking over at sign, reading "Fish and Samantha Baker RD", as they share a hopeful smile, and look ahead...

 

The song continues, as Zane and Scout eagerly try to look ahead, past the other hummer. Suddenly, they see it being fired on, followed with the sight of soldiers, firing on them. They begin reaching for their weapons, and piling out of hummer, opening fire on the soldiers...

 

DISSOLVE TO: PRESENT TIME

 

INT. DELIVERY TRUCK - DAY

 

"In The Air Tonight" continues playing, as they drive down a road (Willamette Ave), next to a bluff, with a view of the Willamette River, Downtown Portland, and a portion of the other side of the city. Random homes/buildings/areas are up in flames. It's a ghost town. A great view, but of a broken city...

 

Dissolve to song fading, as delivery truck enters St. Johns Bridge. They begin driving over it. Halfway over it, they stop, and look at the view...DJ looks back at Sam...

 

DJ

You ready to finish this journey?

 

Sam smiling...

 

SAM

You bet your a*s I am...

 

POV of delivery truck from behind, as it begins driving again, and crosses bridge, turning and disappearing...POV just stays there, as a few moments go by...

 

Suddenly, a group of motorcycles (about a dozen) begin speeding onto bridge, heading in direction of the delivery truck...

 

BLACK

 

Sound of motorcycles…

 

CREDITS

 

THE END


© 2024 Mike Decker


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on December 31, 2018
Last Updated on March 25, 2024
Tags: The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Zombies, apocalypse

Author

Mike Decker
Mike Decker

vancouver, WA



About
My daughter and I are huge Walking Dead fans, and have put together our own spinoff series, of it... Above The Dead It's an absolute emotional mess, and a total suspense/thriller... https://w.. more..

Writing