Above the Dead, EP 3.3 "Happy New Year, PA 1"

Above the Dead, EP 3.3 "Happy New Year, PA 1"

A Screenplay by Mike Decker
"

Season 3, Episode 3

"

ABOVE THE DEAD .com

 

"Happy New Year, PA-1"

 

INTRO

 

BLACK...

 

"Lindsey Stirling �" Carol of the Bells (Violin)" (from beginning)

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKkzbbLYPuI )

 

FADE IN:

 

EXT. WOODS �" DUSK (snowing, few inches on ground)

 

Someone holds open a snowy tree branch, watching as that same family of deer (from opening scene of EP 3.1) go running away from the spot in the woods they had been walking through…

The person now turns and walks through the woods, looking out into the snowy field to her left, with a view of the compound walls, as the person remains in the brush, heading toward the part of the compound wall that runs into the woods, where the field ends…

 

Music hits .10 mark, as POV cuts into guard tree house, and that same half eaten cookie (green frosting/cut in shape of xmas tree) that sits on a plate. POV moves upward, as Abino comes from the bathroom/outhouse room, walking right toward the POV/cookie. He arrives and reaches down for the cookie...

 

Music .17, (revealing that yet again it’s same beat/song as last 2 opening scenes), as Abino bites into the cookie, and then peeks out into the beautiful snowy mess, while shoving the rest of the cookie into his mouth, and chewing. He moves his head around, as if seeing something, then moves a branch and looks right at someone, who is staring back at him from down below, at the tree line. He waves at her.

 

Music .26, as POV is of that person waving back up at him, then lowering her hand and revealing her face, as the woman who Mason saw walking with the dead, and same woman who tracked them back to the compound, also the same woman who rang the bell, to warn them, when Zane and his convicts arrived, over a year earlier…

 

She turns and walks back into the brush, walking through the snowy branches and darkness, and begins using a flashlight, as she continues through the enchanted scenery of the falling flakes. The area she walks through is very brushy, but with more clearing ahead. She looks down at her past snowtracks, and begins stepping directly inside of them, as she shines her light ahead, where movement can be seen, through the brush. She begins stepping through the last of the extreme brushy area, into the semi/clearing.

 

Music .43 (becoming more intense), right as she shines light over the huffs that are tied from one tree to another. They are everywhere, and reacting to her as she enters the area, walking along in her old snowtracks, following them exactly…

 

She is almost dancing, as she moves gracefully through the area, just out of reach of one huff after another. They desperately snap at her, coming as close as they possibly can, at times, but she appears to know exactly what she is doing, and even teases them with her hands as she walks along…

They are simply everywhere, appearing as either her pets, or her bodyguards, or both…

 

Music 1.04, (changing in intensity), as POV cuts inside compound, to Joshua coming out of his hug with Gia, who quickly runs over to hug Rich, as Joshua stands there staring at her, until hit in the back with a snowball, and instantly turning, bending, making a snowball, and launching it at Eli and the group of Rough Riders. Joshua quickly continues making and launching snowballs, as all those kids begin throwing them at each other…

 

DJ and Rich are hugging Trisha and Ashley, as a snowball splatters against Trisha’s head/hood. POV Griffey taking notice of that, and quickly bending down to make a snowball. DJ and Rich are quick to make snowballs and join in on the fun. Griffey nails Eli with one, and runs to hide behind Jason, who is now making snowballs and handing them to Griffey…

 

Griffey shouts over at Renee, to come join, but Renee and the other little girl are suddenly taking kisses from Sandy (German Shepard), with both Marlana and Todd quick to join in and help Griffey, as they and Jason, begin bombing Eli and his friends…

 

Mayday and his girlfriend are launching snowballs from clear over on the other side, at Eli and them. Mayday begins charging like a mad-man, with Gia taking notice, as her and Doc go running with him, all launching snowballs at the Rough Riders. More and more adults are joining in on the fun, and all at once. It almost looks like sudden panic and all-out war!

 

Wyatt blocks his baby just in time, from taking a snowball. Grandpa is suddenly bombed with one, throwing a dirty look over at Gunner. Joshua dodges an incoming snowball, then charges at Gia who turns, screams and runs. The little kids August, Jax, Bo and Kat, are doing their best to join in, as Renee laughs, and then is hit with a snowball, by Marlana, and then again and again, by Scout and both her daughters, as they all crack up, and Sandy barks…

In slow-motion, now, snowballs are flying every which way, as the entire family and friends are at war with each other…

 

Music 1.55, quick 2.5 second shot of the woman outside the gates, as she walks past more tied huffs, and right down into a hidden staircase, that goes underground. Another quick 2.5 second clip of her reaching bottom of staircase, and igniting a wall torch.

 

Music 2.00, (becoming more intense), as the light reveals a long gate (very long) with hundreds and hundreds of huffs behind it, all excitedly coming up against gate, near the woman, who looks them over, while walking along the long gate, with her hand just within their reach, for only a moment before walking up the wide, but fairly short hill/ramp, that leads outside.

 

She reaches the top and glances out over the snow-covered field, with snow falling hard. The compound wall is right behind this ramp/tunnel. The area is still basically behind the trees/brush, with the field a few feet away. She turns and walks back down the ramp, to the bottom, and turning down a hallway, that leads into a living room, with a couch, dartboard, bed and a fire place, with a fire burning.

 

Music 2.38 (final seconds remaining), as she sits comfortably at a small table next to the fire, and munches on the Christmas shaped cookies, that sit in a box on her table, as the song comes to an end…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

THEME TUNE/CREDITS

Shots of all the chaos in the city, on day 1 of the “zombie” apocalypse, followed by bumper to bumper traffic on the highways, and tons of angry/nervous people honking or trying to pull off the road. Shot of Mt. Hood, followed by shots of a huge tree house overlooking a lake, which dissolves into the Columbia River and traveling down it, through a huge forest fire, and then to the Bonneville Dam. POV continues down the river, past the Glen Jackson bridge, flowing by tons of houseboats where the dead are falling into the river, after whoever is drifting by. POV of the Willamette River as it goes under the St. Johns bridge, and up into the hills of Portland. It travels over them, and into the Beaverton area, crossing over the top of the Nike World Headquarters, and keeps traveling over farmlands, and into the coast range, finding the Glenwood Market, and a large camp with log walls, across the creek and behind the store. POV speeds over the Tillamook Forest, highway 26, and a bunch of other land, before coming to the Columbia River, traveling west, and under the Megler bridge, into the ocean. It continues along the shoreline, past Astoria, the Haystack Rock of Cannon Beach, coming to a pair of Jetties, and through them, up into the nearby hills, and over a large camp in the hills, protected by a large log wall. POV travels back down to the shoreline, and over a huge hotel, with a shot of the Twin Rocks in the ocean. POV travels by the bay of Tillamook, and along highway 6, back into the coast range, until leaving the road, back into the Tillamook Forest, until coming to a very large compound, hidden away by all the brush and mountain-side, as opening credits roll…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND GATHERING �" DUSK

 

POV traveling through the entire family of compounders, tossing and dodging snowballs, with tons of laughter, as Samantha delivers her voiceover.

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

Other than missing my dad and all the others we’ve

lost, along with the trauma of it all, the last fourteen

months have not only been productive, they’ve been

exciting…

 

Eli and Blake work together to bomb some other Rough Riders, cracking up laughing and sharing high-fives, but then running while suddenly chased and bombed by DJ and Rich, who are followed by Griffey, Trisha and Ashely, all laughing. POV falls back over the entire magical, snowy Christmas scene.

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

I’ve shared in that excitement, and know I should be

sharing in it now. I love Christmas, and I love snow,

and I love dreaming of snow at Christmas…but Zane

made a promise to be here., and having him around

me is the best cure for missing my dad. Missing them

both, is too hard. It has me thinking about them all,

and what this magical scene in front of me would

look like, if they were all a part of it…

 

Sam begins to imaginate, and her expression resembles it. The scene in front of her remains the same, but with Zane appearing, and drilling Blake and others, with snowballs. They begin bombing Zane, but then Fish (dead) shows up, coming to Zane’s rescue, with all sorts of laughter between them all…

 

Greg (dead) now appears, also helping Zane and Fish, followed by the arrival of Greg’s brother, Mark (dead), and father, Vincent (dead), also launching snowballs, with the entire family. Jagger (dead) and Katie (dead) appear out of nowhere, hit with incoming snowballs, before throwing their own…

 

Troy (dead) arrives, holding his baby (never born), before handing over to Angela (dead) and then coming to the aid of Zane, Fish and Greg. Angela’s baby smiles at another baby (never born), held by Amy (dead), as Rhett (dead) arrives behind her, planting a kiss on her forehead, before dashing off to join the massive snowball fight…

A snowball is going right for Amy and her baby, but is blocked by Scott (dead), who smiles at his daughter, before making and launching a snowball…

 

Marlana dodges a snowball, thrown by her husband Noah (dead), who throws another, as it hits her, while she begins doing that same dance she did at Glenwood, while drinking moonshine. Her husband can’t help by to watch, with a laugh…

 

Benny (dead) is tossing snowballs as Sandy is excitedly barking at each one, he throws. Mrs. Pederson (dead) is sitting with her husband (dead) and family (dead), with Bailey in her lap. Aiden (dead) is throwing snowballs at his wife Blair, and then at others…

 

Grandpa Sam comes toward POV, looking right at it…

His POV of Samantha, with a zoning stare, out at the big family snowball fight, but not even noticing her grandfather, staring at her. Both her moms arrive close to Grandpa, looking from him, with smiles, to Samantha…

 

GRANDPA SAM

She’s someplace else, right now. I’ve seen that look

before. I’ve had that look before.

 

Kayla picks up some snow, making it into a ball, as Grandpa and Brianna do the same. They all share a smile, before tossing three snowballs right at her, snapping her out of her daze. She looks at all three of them, and forms a subtle smile, quickly turning to anger, after drilled with another snowball, this time splattering somewhat into her face. With a dead serious expression, she rises, forms a snowball and charges right for Eli, who is already running for dear life!

 

Grandpa/moms are all laughing, and joining in on the fun. Snow is falling harder, and snowballs are flying every which direction…

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

EXT. COMPOUND �" DAY

 

Majority of the compounders are gathered/gathering in the compound field, just outside the long corridor of Baker Lane. Everyone is all worked up over the revelation of Zane as the new Grover. Some people are angry, including Mason. Hunter and Grandpa stand together, out in front of everyone…

 

MASON

We’re really going to just let these criminals run off

with valuable supplies of ours? I know it’s Zane, but

he took things we need, here!

 

HUNTER

Listen, it’s not as bad as it seems, I (cutoff)

 

MASON

We don’t have enough; we aren’t as prepared for

this as we were supposed to be!

 

DOC

Those were some real serious dudes!

 

MASON

Who now have access to some real serious weapons!

 

HUNTER

Mason, I (cutoff)

 

MASON

He took a damn 50-cal!

 

HUNTER

He took nothing! I gave the supplies to Pepsi, along

with consent to deliver them to Zane. You really

think she could have done that all on her own?

 

MASON

Then what the hell kind of game are you playing?!

 

HUNTER

If you’d allow me to explain (cutoff)

 

MASON

Explain how you just helped support your nephew’s

possible illness?! We’ve all seen what kind of s**t that

disease has made his father do.

 

HUNTER

Mason (cutoff)

 

MASON

Hunter (cutoff)

 

GRANDPA

STOP interrupting your CL!

 

Everyone goes silent and looks at Grandpa…

 

GRANDPA

There’s a reason we have a leader here, and that’s to

prevent chaos, like what I’m listening to right now!

 

Everyone silent, as Sam looks them all over, before looking to Hunter…

 

HUNTER

The mission you all know Zane to have been on, was

only half the mission. Dad and I, wanted him to use

those special skills of his to gain their trust, and to

become one of them. We had no idea he’d over excel

and become their freaking leader. But, now that he

has, I hope you can see the advantage in that. Rather

than simply having eyes on this wild pack of dogs, we

have control of them.

 

JASON

(off-screen)

We also have a letter.

 

POV Jason holding a radio.

 

JASON

Porter says it was left here by Zane. (looking toward

Grandpa) Sorry, didn’t mean to interrupt.

 

HUNTER

I know how concerned you all are of Zane and what’s

going on, so when Porter delivers the letter, I’ll read it

to you all. We decided for Zane’s safety that we’d keep

you all from that part of the mission. Due to these new

developments, and information provided by Conner, we

now know Zane has a trusted friend there, and feel they

are in control of the situation. 

 

Porter cruising Baker Lane, parking next to the group. He exits his hummer, waving the letter, as he approaches Hunter and Grandpa…

 

PORTER

He knows what he’s doing; he’s not his father’s son.

He says there are more “Conners” among his army of

criminals, and is using them to rebuild, and carry out

his plans, all while separating (a look at Conner) the

“Conners” from those who belong back in their cages.

He says ten of them are already back in a cage, and

were voted there by their own men, but it was Zane’s

moves that set it in motion.

 

He arrives at Hunter.

 

PORTER

(handing over the letter)

His entire plan is all in there…but first things first

(looking right at Grandpa/Hunter). Who the hell rang

that bell???

 

Curious looks from both Grandpa and Hunter…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. OUTER COMPOUND TUNNELS �" DAY

 

Mason is exiting the tunnel, into the woods, as Chasin is already standing there, speaking into his radio. Mason is followed by Wyatt and Gunner.

 

CHASIN

(into radio)

Just hold your position, we’ll be right there.

 

PORTER

(over radio)

Rodger that.

 

CHASIN

(speaking to Mason)

They have eyes on a camp and at least one person.

 

MASON

Close?

 

CHASIN

Apparently so.

 

MASON

This guy’s been camping in our backyard, without

us knowing? For how long?

 

CHASIN

(shrugging)

I’d say at lease since Samantha’s been home, since

whoever it is, knew about the bell.

 

MASON

Didn’t just know about it, knew where to find and

ring it.

 

CHASIN

Which means he watched them arrive, just like he

did Zane and his new buddies.

 

GUNNER

At least we know he appears to be on our side.

 

MASON

Appears… My question is, why hasn’t this guy just

come knocking at our door?

 

GUNNER

Maybe he preferred to ring the bell…

 

Both Mason and Chasin staring at Gunner…

 

CHASIN

Seriously, how are we related?

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. WOODS �" DAY

 

Mason and others, arriving to a spot where Porter, Jason, Doc and a few others are knelt down, hiding in brush, while carefully keeping their eyes over toward the camp…

 

MASON

Still just the one?

 

PORTER

Unless she has friends, nearby.

 

MASON

(grabbing binoculars)

She?

 

Mason looking through binoculars…

 

MASON

Jeeesuuuus Christ!

 

PORTER/CHASIN

What?

 

Everyone looking at Mason, coming out of binoculars…

 

MASON

That’s her! That’s the one.

 

CHASIN

Who?

 

MASON

From the highway that night, the creepy lady walking

with the dead! How the hell did she end up here?

 

DOC

She somehow follow us?

 

CHASIN

Track us?

 

Mason/Doc looking through binoculars again…

 

PORTER

You sure it’s her?

 

MASON

Oh yeah! It’s the second time that woman has given

an erection to every damn hair on my arm.

 

Everyone just staring at Mason…

His POV through binoculars, of the woman moving around, inside the camp area.

 

DOC

Damn, Mason.

 

Suddenly, the woman comes outside her camp, staring straight toward Mason and them…

 

GUNNER

Creepy…

 

They all just stare back at her, before Mason gives the men a look, and then stands up and exits the brush, heading toward her.

 

Samantha begins delivering a voiceover, as Mason and the others approach the woman, with their guns on her. She just stands there, revealing her empty palms, with her arms slightly raised…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

Although she appeared friendly, she had very little to

say about who she was, her past, and where she came

from. What she did make clear, was that the world was

broken long before the rise of the dead, which explains

their rise.

 

Mason walks right up to her, just staring at her, as the others carefully enter her camp…

She eventually walks into the camp, simply sitting down on a wooden bench, she had constructed, as they all watch her, before Mason eventually begins speaking to her…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

She said it was the sight of me and the other children,

that made her realize this was a good place, and that

those children would grow to see the world become a

much better place, than at any time in the past,

especially the children who are too young to remember

the old world, or be tainted by it…

 

Scene dissolves to the compound wall, near the underground area she was walking through at the beginning of this episode. Grandpa is there, supervising men, as tractors are digging large holes…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

This, of course, made Grandpa a quick fan of hers,

even after she declined her invite to stay behind the

walls. She chose to remain on the outside, and in

return for supplies and construction of a home, she

swore to become the outer guardian of the walls.

 

Scene dissolves to men deep inside the area, cementing, drilling, plastering, and everything else it takes to construct such a place…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

This put Grandpa’s imagination to work, as he began

constructing that home of hers, underground, along

with several underground facilities, for the dead, to be

used for defense…

 

Dissolve to its completion, as tons and tons of huffs are being led down into the underground corridor, and into the huge holding facility…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

It didn’t take long for her to become known as, the

guardian of the dead…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. HIGHWAY 6 �" DAY

 

Samantha continues to deliver her voiceover, as a caravan of vehicles with tractors and equipment, is parking along the highway, as Zane, Mason, convicts, compounders, loggers, and even Portlanders and Nike World people, are also there, ready for work…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

The next month or so, would be all about projects like

this one. From Grandpa’s imagination to Zane’s, along

with the resources and manpower, the things we’re

accomplishing is providing hope for all those involved,

and all those who live in our little corner, of the

apocalyptic world…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND BEDROOM �" NIGHT

 

Samantha sitting on her bed, just staring ahead, in a zone…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

As exciting as all this progress was for me, it didn’t begin

that way. You’d have to take the anxiety that Eli used to

suffer from, and multiply it by the anxiety that Renee still

suffers from, to match what I was suffering from, after

Zane’s dramatic revelation of his new commitment to

Glenwood, and some of the scary people who live there.

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND GARAGE �" DAY

 

Samantha watching Eli pack into a hummer, with DJ, Dakota and Cleo, before dissolving to her walking down by the lake, alone, thinking…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

Watching Eli join the mission to UPS, the next day, and

hearing about him on a ship to Multnomah Falls, and

then to the ocean, wasn’t making me feel a whole lot

better about things. I felt like a helpless child, and after

surviving my experiences on the mountain, a child is

the last thing I should feel like…

 

Dissolve to her at the compound complex, arguing her case to Grandpa, as her moms stand close-by…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

My first act as an adult, was arguing my case to my

mothers, and then my grandfather… After winning

those arguments, like I knew that I would, I found

myself at the Sand Series Hotel, awaiting Zane, Eli and

the others, where I even got to meet the Queen of

Nike World…

 

Dissolve to a large room at Baker complex, where the Queen, her father (Shawn) and sister (Nikki), Bonnie (officer), Solis, Marshall, Zane, Stix, Kemp, Mason, Hunter and Grandpa, are all meeting, and shaking hands…

 

SAMANTHA

(voiceover)

A meeting between the leaders of the three camps

was scheduled for the following day, and guess who

got to be a part of that meeting???

 

POV comes to Samantha, also shaking hands with the other leaders…

 

GRANDPA SAM

I know she seems young, and she is, she’ll be only eleven

in about six to seven weeks, but she’s one of us, and

after you read (waving folders in his hand) her story,

you’ll understand why I’ve asked her to be here, today.

 

Stix is shaking her hand.

 

STIX

It’s nice to see you again, Samantha.

 

SAMANTHA

It’s even nicer to hear how much you have my cousin’s

back, out there. Thank you for that.

 

Kemp can’t help but to smile, as he shakes her hand.

 

KEMP

We never really met before, but it’s an honor.

 

SAMANTHA

Thank you, and thank you for being someone my

cousin can trust.

 

Now Harris can’t help but to smile.

 

SHAWN

Kid sure seems like a leader to me.

 

Grandpa is already handing folders to them all, while Hunter also hands them each a folder.

 

GRANDPA

After you read the diaries of her experiences out there,

you’ll see that a kid is something she has the right to no

longer claim to be. The folder I’m handing out is exactly

that, while my son Hunter is handing you the details to

the things we’ll be discussing here today.

 

HUNTER

If you can open them up, we’ll go ahead and get started.

 

GRANDPA

Save the diaries for later, but we are asking that you

all take the time to read through it, and see for yourself

what is going on out there. See for yourself, what we’re

building here, to avoid.

 

HARRIS

No…

 

Everyone silently stares at Harris, a half smile forms from Zane, as he awaits her to finish…

 

HARRIS

No asking about it. Make it a requirement. (holding

up folder) Print more and demand that every man,

woman and child read these diaries. If they’re too

young to read, then read it to them.

 

Zane’s half smile is now in full force, as he nods his head…

 

HARRIS

I haven’t read it myself, but Zane told me all about

it, and it’s stories like that, in which saves lives, and

prepares our young, and old, for the world they now

live in.

 

Grandpa looks from her to Zane…

 

GRANDPA SAM

I see why my grandson is so fond of you, and why people

would follow you.

 

Shawn and Nikki smiling…

 

HUNTER

So, first thing on the list, relay posts…nice ones…

 

SAMANTHA

Most importantly, ones that are…above the dead…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. HIGHWAY 6 �" DAY

 

Mason is supervising men who are building a tree house, not extremely high off the ground, but in a camouflaged location, hidden from the highway, by the brush. It has no ladder, but also camouflaged is a walkway/bridge that leads to another tree house, and then yet another hidden walkway/bridge, to another tree with a ladder built to it, leading down into more brush…

 

Not far from the brush, is another brushy spot, where an underground hiding place is being built. Chasin and Gunner stand nearby, supervising the men…

 

CHASIN

This will be an extra place to hide, in case some kind

or urgent situation presents itself. There will be extra

weapons stashed and ready to go, and food, in case

hiding there for a long while is necessary.

 

GUNNER

Is a big screen, some wifi and a nearby pizza joint,

too much to ask for?

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. DIFFERENT LOCATION ALONG HIGHWAY 6 �" DAY

 

Same type of scene, this time with Zane supervising, as men are hard at work. GW is on the highway, smashing on some random huffs, as a few others watch.

 

ZANE

(into radio)

I think another half hour and we’re ready to move on.

 

MASON

(over radio)

Same here. See you in thirty…

 

POV moves over the men, and up into the tree house, looking very much like the last one. One man is constructing a cabinet, with weapons being locked up inside of it. One man works on a fireplace, with stacks of wood right next to it. There are strategically built windows, with excellent views of the highway, and ground below. Through one window, a few men from the ground are using ropes to lift a couch up into the tree house…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. HIGHWAY 26 �" DAY

 

Closer to Beaverton with less trees/brush, a large group of Zane’s people are now at work near a farm house, with a random patch of trees/brush, where men work hard on another tree house, as well as an underground hiding area…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. BEAVERTON HOME DEPOT �" DAY

 

Porter, Jason and Colton, supervising a large group who’re collecting tree house supplies…

As they head outside, where more supplies are being loaded up, GW and a bunch of the other cons are killing off huffs, who continue to approach the scene…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. HIGHWAY 6 GARIBALDI �" DAY

 

POV of the bay, falling back to a spot off the highway, on the brushy hillside, where Mason’s men are hard at work on yet another tree house, and underground hiding area, with a motorcycle being planted, ready for emergency escape, if necessary…

 

ZANE

(over radio)

This is it. From Nike to Glenwood, and Glenwood to

the compound, and from there to the SSH, we have

communications!

 

MASON

(into radio)

Not to mention a constant eye on the surroundings of

everything we work to protect.

 

ZANE

(over radio)

It’s coming together…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. VISTA RIDGE TUNNELS (Portland) �" DAY

 

Zane is supervising men up on the hill, above the Vista ridge tunnels, where they work at setting up an escape route from an apartment structure…

Zane begins walking inside the building, and up into one of the rooms, where men are working. He looks over a part of the room where they knocked out a hole in the wall, as a secret passage into another apartment, where an escape route leading outside, is being built…

 

Zane goes to the window, looking out over the highway, and the view of downtown Portland, and the river…

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHABCK

 

INT. BALL ROOM (1958) �" NIGHT

 

POV of the river, panning back through the window and into the room of a ton of dances, with a band singing 50’s music, and 1958 New Year’s decorations…

The song comes to an end, with people applauding, before someone on stage begins speaking over the microphone…

 

MAN

(over mic)

Alright everybody, we warned you the song would end

with only twenty seconds until the New Year, which is

now down to ten seconds!

 

POV travels through the people, as they all begin counting down along with the man on stage…

 

MAN/CROWD

Nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, ONE!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 

Everyone screaming wildly and celebrating the stoke of midnight, and the new year. POV moves through the excited people, cheering, kissing, hugging, making noise, jumping around, and finally coming to a young couple, embraced and kissing, and coming out of the kiss, as the man continues smiling directly into her eyes, while kneeling down and pulling out a ring, as she instantly screams with joy, jumping up and down, already screaming yes, over and over!

 

Balloons instantly begin dropping over them, as the man on stage shouts over the microphone.

 

MAN

HAPPY NEW YEAR, AND CONGRATULATIONS TO SAM

BAKER AND HIS WIFE TO BE, LAURA FISH! I believe she

said yes, folks!

 

Laura still jumping up and down, before jumping into his arms, and again kissing, to the applause from everyone surrounding them…

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

EXT. COMPOUND BARNS �" DAY

 

Some of the Rough Riders are riding horses, as Eli is climbing off of his, with Blake also climbing off of his…

 

BLAKE

(speaking to Eli)

Getting much better, kid.

 

ELI

Screw horseback riding. We should be out there

with Zane.

 

BLAKE

I been where you’re at. Frustrated and wanting to

be at Zane’s side, but with him somewhere else,

and especially with most our army out working, we

have a job to do here. There will come a time when

we have to defend what we have here, maybe plenty

of times, and if that happens when the army is out,

it’s on us to hold this place. I don’t know about you,

but I take a ton of pride in that…

 

ELI

I get that, but I like working with my bat. How am I

going to defend this place with that? I should be out

killing huffs, while they build those tree houses.

 

BLAKE

So, you’re all about the fastball, eh?

 

Eli a skeptical look at Blake, as Joshua comes riding his horse by them, slowing down and turning around, coming back to them…

 

JOSHUA

Let’s get a game going today. I need me some ball time!

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND BALL FIELD �" DAY

 

Blake is hitting ground balls to the infielders, who make their plays. He then hits one to the outfield, where Joshua comes charging, and dives for the ball, making the amazing catch, to the applause of his teammates, and even several people in the stands, watching…

 

Seems like more teenage girls than anything, as Scout’s daughters and many other girls are watching the ball players. Some older folks are also there, watching as Blake continues hitting balls to the players…

 

Dissolve to Blake now tossing batting practice, as Eli is taking rips, and smashing one ball after another, to the applause of many of the girls, some of whom are now distracted by some of the Rough Riders, who are taking breaks and talking with the girls. Scoop and Hope are chatting…

 

DJ is hustling off the field, and toward the stands, where Ryder, Griffey, Renee, Trisha and Ashley all sit near the dugouts…

 

DJ

Griffey, you look like a ball player, how come you’re

not out there taking some rips?

 

GRIFFEY

I never played. I play basketball.

 

DJ

I’ve seen the gym here. Maybe after this I will take

all you guys there for a workout?

 

They all express interests, as DJ smiles and looks to Ryder.

 

DJ

I heard Rich is moving around more and more. He

should come hit the gym, let the kids energy rub off

him, a little.

 

RYDER

I’ll tell him you said so.

 

Ryder smiling as DJ hustles to the plate, to replace Eli, who just took his last rip…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND GYM �" DAY

 

The compound gym is a solarium, as is the swimming pool next to it. DJ and many others are now there, shooting hoops. DJ is with the kids, and helping them work on taking shots. The little girls are nowhere close, but hilariously trying. Many others, including teenage girls, are sitting in the bleachers, watching, laughing and hanging out. Not all of them are laughing or smiling. Some are just watching, perhaps trying to be more involved, but with their minds elsewhere…

 

SCOOP

So, what’s up with the New Year’s thing, you mentioned?

 

BLAKE

The goal is to spend the rest of this year making our

surroundings as safe as they can possibly be. New

Year’s will be about celebrating the new world, and

the return of the things we love. I heard even the

Sand Series is being planned.

 

SCOOP/JOSHUA

Hell yeah!

 

Many of the other kids expressing excitement, as Joshua shares a high-five with a pair of friends (Wong and Pav, both 15)…

 

JOSHUA

Our best baseball squad against those guys at Nike

and Glenwood? We have to do that!

 

BLAKE

Or something like it, because baseball is definitely

on the list. They want people excited about life again.

 

More excitement from the others…

 

JOSHUA

Best apocalypse, ever!

 

DJ is smiling, at the excitement, and then at the sight of Rich, entering the gym, with help from Ryder and Jaelyn, who receive smiles from some of the boys…

In the background, a caravan of vehicles can be seen entering the field, from Baker Lane. Blake takes notice, as both he and Abino go outside, walking toward the Baker garage, where the caravan arrives…

 

Porter, Jason, Mayday, Gia, and many others are coming out of the vehicles, exhausted. More people are coming from the gym, including Griffey and the girls. Jason smiles at Griffey, and throws out his hand for a five slap, as Griffey delivers. DJ is keeping a close eye from the gym, and is approaching, but stops, as Jason is now heading that direction, with Griffey and the girls following…

 

Porter puts his arm around an older guy, his father. Some of the others are being hugged or greeted by loved ones…

 

Jason enters and begins shooting hoops with Griffey, as the girls watch. Blake, Porter and some of the others are now arriving back at the gym, and taking off their shirts, getting ready to organize some games. More and more people are heading toward the gym, excited to watch/join…

 

Dissolve to a very competitive game now going, as the teams run back and forth, playing full court, with fans cheering the shots…

Samantha, Renee and Marlana are all now there, in the bleachers. Samantha is talking to Renee, as they both work on writing things down in their journals. They are much more into whatever they are working on, than they are the game, with a smile from Marlana, who then watches the court…

 

Joshua is on the sideline, shouting excitedly at his teammates, as they score a basket. He glances at Gia, whose giving him a smile, as he continues showing off for her, and even finds time to peek over at a girl his own age, who is also smiling at him. He continues cheering on his teammates, who now steal away the ball…

 

Grandpa is with Hunter, over by the garage, and the vehicles, as Mason, Chasin and another caravan has arrived…

Many of them are now walking over to the gym, to get in on all the action, including Hunter…

Grandpa remains there with Scout, who comes in close as he places his arm around her, and they just stare at the gym and the excitement of everyone over there, and inside, as a great shot is made, with massive cheering/applause/excitement. Todd is over by the door, watching, with Sandy…

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

EXT. NEW YORK TIME SQUARE �" NIGHT

 

Dick Clark is counting down as the ball is dropping.

 

DICK CLARK

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one,

and it is exactly 1981. Happy New Year!

 

The ball drops and lights up the big 1981, with massive excitement, and a huge crowd, that the POV travels through, until it finds Sam, Laura and all their children, only 6 months older than they were in the opening scene of this series…

 

They are all going wild, jumping up and down, and screaming with excitement! Scout is near her father, with his arm around her, just like in the previous scene…

 

Hunter and Leo are jumping/screaming together, while Mason has a girlfriend with him. Fish and Vincent are next to each other, screaming at top of their lungs. Laura moves in for a kiss from Sam, but Scout makes it a short one, requiring their attention, a little frightened by all the other people and noise…

 

Confetti is falling all over them, as they all begin waving, at the stage in front of them, where Dick Clark is waving at everyone their direction…

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

INT. BAKER COMPLEX ROOM �" DAY

 

Zane, Stix, Porter, Grandpa Sam, Hunter, Mason, Scout and Chasin, are all coming together for a meeting, as they shake hands…

Hunter picks up a folder, and speaks to Zane.

 

HUNTER

So, Dad and I have studied your plan (waving folder),

and have some ideas of our own, but are absolutely

on board with everything you’re suggesting here, or

have already set in motion.

 

GRANDPA SAM

What you’re doing at Glenwood, and how you’re

making those men earn their second chance at life,

might just be the most amazing thing going on in

the world, right now. I’m very proud of you, son.   

 

MASON

I have to admit myself, that the affect you’ve had on

most of those men, is something to certainly brag

about, nephew…but you had better stay sharp. You

still have some bad seeds in there. Don’t let it trash

all the good you’ve accomplished. Stay sharp.

 

Zane and Mason sharing a nod…

 

ZANE

It’s a work in progress, and I already know which men

to keep my eyes on, but for now, they still see me as

someone on their side, and are taking pride in their

responsibilities to the forest, and the communities of

it. Most of them want their names going down in the

new history.

 

HUNTER

Good.

 

ZANE

And all weapons are secured, with only those I’ve

appointed as “Marshalls”, with the right to carry at

all times.

 

MASON

And they’re okay with this?

 

Zane just shrugging…

 

GRANDPA SAM

Speaking of “new history”, your New Year’s plan is

perfect, and giving everyone something to truly

celebrate the new year to come, is brilliant.

 

ZANE

It’s really hard waiting for the right time, but I believe

having everyone in the same place, while somewhat

festive, is the right way to go.

 

CHASIN

I think the more of us who choose to celebrate at

Glenwood, will go a long way in building more

chemistry with our convict army.

 

STIX

I agree. Share the holiday and the news of the new

year to come, and they’ll begin seeing the rest of you,

as they do Zane.

 

GRANDPA SAM

Agreed… Now, I do have one idea of my own, Zane. I’d

like you home, after the new year, every other week.

Leave Stix in charge the week’s you’re here, and consider

yourself an area supervisor of the Forest.

 

ZANE

(nodding)

An excuse to be home, once a week, I’m sold! I can

(nodding) be ready for that by then…

 

Zane sharing a smile with his grandpa, before a more serious expression, develops…

 

ZANE

Now, there is something suspicious to bring up. Solis

and Marshall are certain that Grover took a dozen

nurses and four doctors to Glenwood, when they first

took it over. Problem is, they only have one of those

doctors, and three of the nurses.

 

MASON

Son of a…

 

Grandpa just staring off, in thought, before looking at Zane…

 

GRANDPA

There’s another camp?...

 

Zane nodding…

 

ZANE

That would be my guess, probably the same group

from the highway, who attacked Nike World, before

we did.

 

HUNTER

It can’t be Leo’s group…can it?

 

Everyone looking around at each other, fairly skeptical of that thought…

 

ZANE

No one at Glenwood recognizes Leo, it can’t be him,

and if it was his group, or Grover was still alive, it

seems they would have made some kind of move, by

now. So, my best guess is that Grover is dead, and his

other camp either doesn’t know, or doesn’t care

about Glenwood.

 

GRANDPA

Regardless…I think it’s time to pay my son’s group

a visit…

 

Zane and others looking at each other, and then Grandpa…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. LEO’S BEACH CAMP �" DAY

 

Mason, Porter, Jason, Chasin and many others, are armed and standing guard, as Grandpa Sam is approaching them, walking away from the gates, and not looking pleased…

 

MASON

Did you even see him?

 

GRANDPA SAM

(shaking head)

I spoke to his number two, Anthony, who said if it

was up to him, Leo would not only see me, but take

his medication.

 

Grandpa looks unsettled, as Mason takes notice…

 

MASON

What is it?

 

Grandpa shaking head…

 

GRANDPA SAM

I don’t know…it just felt like…like that guy wasn’t

speaking for himself.

 

MASON

Because he was speaking for Leo?

 

GRANDPA SAM

Maybe…I guess… I just want to see my son…

 

MASON

I know, Dad…I know…

 

Everyone piling into vehicles, and pulling away, as guards with guns are watching from the camp walls…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND FIELD �" DAY

 

A football is sailing through the rainy air, a long way, before finally landing into Abino’s arms, as he’s chased by Bryant, but easily runs into the end zone for the touchdown, and met by his teammates who celebrate with him, including Gunner who begins doing the most ridiculous dance, with laughs from the family and tons of people watching, in the rain!

 

Everyone is a muddy mess, as scene dissolves to everyone cleaned up, and sitting around multiple large tables, inside of a huge solarium mess hall, next to the lake. It’s connected to the large Baker cabin, with a platform where their family and closest of friends are gathered, with the other groups down below, tabled and ready for a feast…

Zane has just arrived, with hugs and handshakes from his family and friends, a huge hug from Samantha…

 

There are large and even small separate groups, as there are tons of people. April, Jennifer, Rachel, Marlana and many others, are now bringing out dish after dish, and spreading out the Thanksgiving food, from one group to the next…

 

Grandpa Sam watches over it all, standing there with a microphone, eyeing anyone who is tempted to touch that food, before he begins to speak, and his family knows it, as they dare not touch a thing!

 

GRANDPA

(over mic)

The food is warm, which is why I already gave most of

my appreciation speech for the day. Christmas this year

will not be about presents or decorations, but as a day

to remember all those we lost, which is why today is

about appreciation of those who survive in their honor,

and what I left out earlier, is the appreciation we have

for the future, and the progress we’ve made toward this

new world of ours. A new year is coming, and we have

plans of bringing traditions and entertainment back to

that new world of ours. I for one, appreciate the people

I love, the people who have survived this with me, and

bringing the little things back into their lives, the kind

of things that are actually so very far from little, and

the kind of things we work so hard, to have in our lives.

I will be thinking about that, as I sit and eat, and

appreciate the feast we all share. Thank you for

listening, I love you all, and please enjoy your food.

 

Everyone begins clapping, and then looking around, as one, then two, and then everyone simply begins rising, and clapping in full force, showing their extreme appreciation for Grandpa, his wonderful speech, and his part in the life they all have…

 

Grandpa nods, waves, and is brought to tears, by the ongoing appreciation and standing ovation…

Scout is crying, as is Samantha, while appreciating all the appreciation the people are showing Grandpa…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND WOODS �" DAY

 

Hunter is on the radio.

 

HUNTER

(into radio)

Relay one east, come in…

 

RELAYER

(over radio)

Relay one east, here…

 

HUNTER

(into radio)

CL here. SSH reports strong winds at the coast. They’re

hunkering down and even calling in relayers five and six

west. Relayer four will stay on duty, weather permitting,

and keep us posted on what’s going on, out there.

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. RELAY 2 EAST (tree house) �" DAY

 

Relayer writing down what Hunter is reporting over the radio, as a second man stands close by, listening.

 

HUNTER

(over radio)

It’s been a nice break in the rain today, but with it already

going grey on the coast, flooding in Tillamook will certainly

be an issue, with another heavy stretch of rain, like the last

couple of weeks, on top of all that snow that just melted

away.

 

RELAYER

(into radio)

Relayer one east, copies.

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND WOODS - DAY

 

HUNTER

(into radio)

CL out…

 

Hunter walks away from the quiet spot near the woods, and down onto the rocky banks of the fast-flowing creek that runs through the compound. There are still small snow banks in certain spots. Eli, Blake and other Rough Riders, along with Samantha, Renee, Marlana and Griffey, are all fishing, and successfully…

 

BLAKE

So, losing communication with the beach?

 

HUNTER

Yeah, without a weather report, we just can’t take any

chances. The wind there can get crazy this time of year,

and Tillamook is infamous for its flooding.

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. TILLAMOOK �" DAY

 

Heavy rain is falling, as water is at least a foot deep and running throughout the town of Tillamook. The city streets, the parking lots, stores, fields, and even the large holes where the beach caravan team held the bonfires, and cleared huffs, is now filling up with water…

 

A random huff even floats along, trying to rise, but unable…

 

Cut to a shot of the Tillamook Cheese Factory, surrounded by water…

POV travels to a brushy spot with trees, and up into those trees, finding a hidden tree house, with a sign reading “Relay Station 5”…

POV travels inside, where it appears vacant. There is a fireplace, but nothing burning…

 

POV goes back outside, over the flooding waters…

Dissolve to wet highway 101 road, with heavy rain but no more flooding waters…

POV goes upward, toward the large hills, and the big “G” (for Garibaldi) on the hillside…

POV travels into the brush/trees of the hillside that lays down under the “G”, coming to another tree house with a sign reading “Relay Station 6”…

No one appears inside, and no fire is burning…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. ROCKAWAY BEACH SSH �" DAY

 

POV ocean waves crashing up against the SSH pier, as well as the rock barrier that lays in front of the SSH, protecting it from the rising/stormy sea…

Near the city and in between the SSH and other hotel/motels, and beach front property, the high tide is actually making its way over parts of the bluff, and spilling into the streets of downtown Rockaway, where the flooding is remaining ocean water/debris, and not as deep or wide-spread as the flooding in Tillamook…

 

Doc and Gus are on the inside of the SSH, at the windows, looking out at all the weather, without any sign of huffs…

POV cuts inside to them…

 

GUS

It’s like, the end of the world, out there…

 

Doc throwing a sarcastic look at Gus…

 

DOC

Nice… So, where’s Bunk and those guys? They didn’t

really go out in this, did they?

 

GUS

They did indeed. Out there, going lieutenant Dan on

this freaky weather.

 

POV instantly cuts back outside, into the garage of the large hotel next to the SSH, which lays on the bluff above the beach, where the ocean waves are crashing up against. One huge wave is crashing right into the parking garage of that hotel, spraying water all over Bunk (in raingear) who is screaming with wild excitement, and standing there taking it like a champ, totally soaked by the incoming water that pushes into the garage.

 

BUNK

YOU CALL THIS AN APOCALYPTIC STORM?!?! COME

ONNNNN!!!!

 

Mike is right behind him, being slightly more cautious, while cracking up laughing at Bunk, while Virgil is also laughing, and running off hiding back behind the corner of a wall, while Bunk and Mike brace for another wave. This wave forcefully picks up a huge log that was wedged down on the rocks, that form a barrier for the bluff. As Bunk and Mike see the log coming for them, they are now heading for Virgil’s spot, just as the log is wedged right in between the rocks and the top of the basement ceiling, and right in front of where Bunk was standing, as they look in awe, and with laughter, from their safe spot next to Virgil…

 

VIRGIL

You guys are nuts!

 

BUNK

Least we have some nuts!

 

VIRGIL

This black man doesn’t like water. The blood of my

ancestors flows with memories of the sea and slave

ships, which has its affects!

 

Bunk and Mike cracking up, as they head back out for more thrills. They choose a spot away from the wedged log, as another wave sprays past it. They watch wide eyed as another wave instantly crashes against the rocks, pushing more water into the garage, and another log down a ways from them, goes right up and inside…

Virgil is also watching it, from his corner…

 

MIKE

I don’t know, man. We’re toast if one of those

connects with us.

 

They both flinch, as a wave sprays them, at same time that a voice is shouting at them, from behind.

 

DOC

(off-screen)

What the hell are you guys doing?!

 

They all turn to look at Doc, then Bunk and Mike quickly look back toward ocean, now worried about incoming logs, before heading direction of Doc.

 

BUNK

Dude, this storm is sick!

 

Suddenly, Doc is watching someone else go running by him, dressed in raingear, and running over to Bunk and Mike, who become excited.

 

DOC

Leon, not you, too!

 

Leon arrives just in time to brace for a wave, while both Sage and Skyler also come running to the scene, for some excitement…

 

BUNK

INCOMING!!!

 

Virgil peeks from behind wall, as they all stand there taking it, with Doc left shaking his head…

Doc simply turns and begins walking away…

 

BUNK

(off-screen)

Oh shiiiiiitttt!

 

Doc suddenly turns to see all of them running for their lives, right toward him, as back behind them a huge wave forcefully pushes into the garage, even taking down the wedged log, and pushing both logs, and even moving a few of the parked cars…

 

Virgil is hiding behind the wall and completely stranded there, with the wave pushing through entire garage, and catching Bunk and them, knocking most of them down, momentarily, as they quickly rise, and protect themselves from possible logs or cars…

 

Doc is the only one who makes it out without being caught by the wave water, and is on the outside, reaching higher ground, and peeking back inside, where Virgil’s face is completely pale, as he is completely trapped. Another wave pushes through, only bringing in more water, as Virgil decides to begin walking through the water, trying to make his way to the others, who are now suddenly over the fear, and begin cracking up over what just happened…

 

Their laughter is heard while POV travels over the area, and all the crashing waves. POV goes over entire SSH complex, as the heavy rain falls…

 

Dissolve to evening, where the laughter fades, but the intense weather remains…

 

Dissolve to night, same POV but with darkness, and the sound of heavy rain and wind, and crashing waves…

 

Dissolve to daytime, with more of the same weather…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. TILLAMOOK �" EVENING

 

Heavy rain falling over the flooded town, where the water has risen even deeper…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. HIGHWAY 6 �" DAY

 

POV of the heavy rain falling onto the soaked highway…

POV moves upward, and can find smoke coming from the brushy trees…

 

Cut to a burning fire, inside the fireplace of a tree house, and panning back to a guy and woman at the window, looking out at the empty soaked highway road…

 

MAN

Funny thing is, this is normal. It always rains like this

here. Yet, due to everything else, I keep thinking the

weather is affected, too. Like Oregon is capable of

hurricanes now, or something.

 

WOMAN

I know, me too! Like anything is possible.

 

Woman leaves window, for bookshelf, and glancing through books/magazines.

 

MAN

Maybe it is…

 

WOMAN

Something made the dead do what they’re doing.

Whatever it was, doesn’t seem like a stretch, that it

would off-set other aspects of the world…

 

She finds her choice of reading material and sits on the sofa next to the fire, while the guy is pondering what she just said, with another look out the window, while gripping his gun…

 

POV shoots out the window, and about five miles down the road, coming to yet another tree house window, where a different man keeps watch, with the sound of another man snoring, from inside…

 

POV begins shooting down the road, another five miles, until reaching some brush, and going through, to another tree house window, where a man and his teenage son are playing cards, with some snacks, and guns within reach…

 

POV exits through other window, shooting down the road, with a shot of a huff, tied to a tree, near the highway, and wearing a Forest Grover hat, with a red R added at the end. POV then shoots another five miles down the road, coming to the Glenwood camp. Guards are keeping watch at the gates, in rain gear, as the heavy rain pounds the area, which is an empty camp, with everyone indoors…

 

POV finds the DC, where a large new indoor structure is built, providing shelter. As POV keeps going through the camp, it comes to a brand-new cabin, and a nice one. POV goes inside, where everything is quiet. It comes to a ladder, leading up to a loft, where Zane is in bed, making out with Pepsi, as they stop and look at each other, with Pepsi then taking a look around the loft.

 

PEPSI

I can’t believe how quickly you guys put this thing up,

not to mention all the amazing tree houses, and this

loft is my favorite part.

 

ZANE

Eventually we’ll all need to be sleeping in lofts, above

the dead. Everyone turns when they die; people die in

their sleep, sometimes. When that happens, we need

to be out of their reach.

 

PEPSI

So, you’re seriously going to build lofts for everyone,

everywhere?

 

ZANE

(nodding)

And supply them with whistles. We literally have

thousands of them, now, contributed by UPS.

 

Zane stares at Pepsi’s expression…

 

ZANE

What are you thinking?

 

PEPSI

I’m just picturing that horrific scenario. Waking up

to someone I know or love, now dead, and having to

blow a whistle for help.

 

ZANE

It’s not a pretty thought, yet better than waking to

the pain of them snacking on your flesh.

 

Pepsi stares at him…

 

PEPSI

Not helping…

 

ZANE

I know; I’m sorry. That was bad.

 

PEPSI

You think?

 

ZANE

I just have to think about those kind of things…

it’s the best way of preventing them…and look at

it this way, soon you’ll have your very own loft to

sleep in…

 

PEPSI

(staring at him)

I’d rather sleep in yours…

 

Zane staring back at her with a smile…

 

ZANE

You would, eh?

 

They share a few kisses, before she stops, and stares at him with a smile…

 

PEPSI

So, you realize this’ll never work, right?

 

ZANE

There had better be a punchline to this?

 

PEPSI

(smiling)

Your family still hates me after what you made me do.

 

ZANE

Are you kidding me? You were part of the crew who

returned Samantha to them. You’re in for life, even

after you realize you can do better than me.

 

PEPSI

I don’t know, I still get an evil eye from Mason,

whenever I see him…and I’ve always known I can

do better, but it’s the apocalypse, I can’t be picky.

 

ZANE

(smiling)

Yeah, he’s still not thrilled about the 50-cal, but

knows it has nothing to do with you…and why do

you think I took over a bunch of criminals, I knew

I’d have to be the catch of the camp.

 

PEPSI

Here you are, sure, but I’m leaving my options open

when it comes to the other groups, and what kind of

“catches” they might have.

 

They share a few more kisses, before Pepsi begins speaking…

 

PEPSI

So, what about this Gia I’ve heard so much about?

 

ZANE

(growing smile)

Ohhh, so that’s where you were guiding this conversation.

Gia hasn’t had any evil in her eye, has she?

 

PEPSI

Not at all, and quite the opposite, actually. Guess I’m

just curious about what happened, or didn’t happen

between you two?

 

Zane looks seriously into her eyes…

 

ZANE

You have nothing to worry about with Gia. I promise

that next time I’m at the compound, I’ll break it off with

her.

 

Pepsi a smile and playful punch at his shoulder.

 

PEPSI

Wrong answer!

 

They laugh/joke a bit…

 

ZANE

Seriously though, her, Mayday and those other soldiers,

risked their lives to set us free, up there…and then a

few moments later, I found myself in the worst state of

mind of my life, which didn’t truly change until shortly

before I met you, and after the miracle of Samantha’s

return. (looking right at her) So, who knows, maybe if

fate didn’t interfere with our lives the way it does, or if

she was as beautiful as what I’m looking at right now,

then I’d be with the wrong person…

 

Pepsi smiles, and leans back in to kiss.

 

PEPSI

Right answer…

 

They begin kissing…until suddenly someone comes over the radio…

 

RELAYER

(over radio)

Relayer 1 East, reporting for Queen Nike…

 

Zane reaching for radio…

 

ZANE

(into radio)

Glenwood, here.

 

RELAYER

The Queen has a Teddy Smith, in custody for sexual

assault. Requests for him to be picked up and held at

Glenwood. Over…

 

Zane already getting up.

 

ZANE

(into radio)

Grover’s on his way, in fifteen minutes. Over and out.

 

RELAYER

(over radio)

Copy that…

 

Pepsi throws Zane a look as he quickly comes back in bed for one last slow kiss and hug, before quickly getting dressed, as Stix comes over radio…

 

STIX

(over radio)

Get dressed, Grover. I’ll have a team ready to roll,

before you can complete your walk of shame.

 

Pepsi cracking up while covering her face with a pillow, as Zane laughs with a nod…

 

ZANE

I knew that guy had some wit…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. NIKE WORLD - DAY

 

Heavy rain falls, as Zane, Stix and GW, are driving through the gates of Nike World, followed by a couple other vehicles…

Solis is holding an umbrella and waving them through…

 

Dissolve to them coming in out of the rain, to a large area where many people are gathered, along with the Queen and her family, as well as Bonnie and Marshal. Solis leads Zane, Stix and GW toward them, with many of the people eyeing Zane, then GW and his massive size, as everyone watches them arrive at the other leaders, and shaking hands…

 

There is a man handcuffed and held by Bonnie, who shakes his head as he’s looked over by Zane and Stix…

Zane listens to the Queen chatting to him, before sharing a few words and then leaving her at the microphone, ready to address everyone…

 

QUEEN NIKE

(speaking over mic)

For those who aren’t here, I want you all to make them

aware of what goes down here today. (motioning toward

handcuffed man) This man is guilty of sexual assault and

has done nothing to deny these accusations, so proving

them is not necessary. He knows he’s a threat to others,

and has done things that the old world, nor the new, will

not put with. He didn’t rape, but only because he was

stopped. In the old world he’d get sympathy for that, but in

this one, he will not. Laws and peace among ourselves are

more crucial than ever before, so shall the consequences for

failing to follow such laws. It is my judgment that he

will spend the next year behind bars, at which time a

final decision toward his future, will be made. If

anyone objects, the floor is yours…

 

The Queen, Zane and others look among everyone, with nothing but silence, until someone shouts out from the crowd…

 

RANDOM WOMAN

Make it twenty years!

 

RANDOM MAN

Make it life, and save your decision making, for more

important things!

 

DIFFERENT WOMAN

Yeah! Give him life!

 

QUEEN NIKE

(over mic)

The options are endless, and will be decided on a year

from this day. Thank you…

 

The Queen begins to exit, followed by the other leaders, and Bonnie, who hands the prisoner over to GW, who shows no respect in the way he handles him…

 

Dissolve to the Queen and Zane walking alone together, and coming to a large window where they can see her father, Shawn, teaching a self-defense class, of very young kids. He is pretending to be a huff, with a few laughs from the kids who are watching, but the one’s teaming up to defend themselves against him, are taking him very seriously, and work together to pretend to stab him in the brain, while then congratulated by him…

 

Zane nods his head, very impressed with what he’s seeing, as they turn and walk away.

 

ZANE

I am more than impressed, and the compounders, along

with those from Glenwood, should not only work with

your father, but do so with these same kids. They all need

to know and respect each other, before growing to do the

work that we now do.

 

HARRIS

I agree, they can’t be strangers. They need time around

each other. The more they care, the tougher they’ll fight

for one another…

 

Zane watches GW put the prisoner into a squad car, as he then smiles at Harris…

 

ZANE

I couldn’t have said it any better. (hugging her) Thank

you, Harris, and thanks for the squad car. I’ll get it

back you…maybe.

 

They share one last smile as he gets in the squad car, turns on the flashing lights with a smile, and drives away…

POV pans over to some windows, where many children are watching the flashing lights of the squad car, as it drives away, with the gates closing on it…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND GATES �" DAY

 

Heavy rain pours down over the field in front of the gates. The guards in the tree houses are dry, but rain falls all around them and through the brush/branches, and down onto the catwalks that lead along the wall…

 

POV of the Baker lake, where the rain pours down into…

No one is around, as POV moves over the soaked area, and over to the Baker complex, and finding its way to Grandpa’s office window, and inside, where he is at his desk, just staring off into space, for several moments, before suddenly moving, and writing his thoughts down onto paper…

 

He then looks back up, with a tear developing, and more thought, before continuing to write his thoughts…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND “TOWN SQUARE” �" NIGHT

 

A single tree is lit for Christmas, as the compounders are gathering around, watching Grandpa Sam, who is arriving in front of the tree and a microphone, looking over them, and preparing to deliver a speech…

He just looks over them a moment, taking a deep breath, and gesturing toward the lit/decorated tree…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(over microphone)

As you can see, I’ve broken my own rule… I figured we

owed it to the meaning and the spirit of Christmas, to

light this single tree, in honor of what it’s always been,

and what it will be again… Of course, we all know it to

be a birthday. It’s no secret that I believe the way

families come together for this holiday, is the best gift

the birthday boy can ask for…

 

Grandpa’s POV of the family/crowd, as they watch him deliver his speech…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

This year is different…as every family left in the world,

is missing a part of that family, if not the majority of it.

 

POV begins traveling by the people, and the expressions of Sam’s family members and closest friends, as well as the Rough Riders, Blake, Abino, Scoop, Trav, Nate, Pav and Wong, standing close to Mayday and Gia…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

I find myself wanting to believe in the existence of that

birthday boy, more than ever before… I want to believe

all those missing family members have become one

family, and are celebrating this great holiday, face to

face, with said birthday boy…

 

Emotion begins to take over their expressions…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

I want to believe that every Christmas they’ve ever

experienced and loved, cannot top the magic of their

first one with him…in a place where we shall all meet

them again, and experience it for ourselves, right

alongside them…

 

More emotion coming from the faces and expressions of his loved ones, as POV continues from Hunter, his wife, April, daughter in law, Jennifer and her children, August, Jax and Maddox, along with Gunner, his son, Blaze, and Wyatt, with wife, Sarah.

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

A place where my son Fish, can come face to face with

Eli’s brother, Rhett, his wife, Amy, her baby boy, and her

father, Scott. I’m envious of the instant love and

appreciation my son got to express to these people, for

their major role in providing us with one less family

member to mourn. I love my granddaughter, and give her

all the credit in the world for her own role in returning

safely to us, but she could not have accomplished such a

miracle, without that help. It provides me with so much

comfort to know my boy is with these amazing people.

 

The emotion continues as POV does the same, from Mason and his girlfriend, Missy, then to Chasin and wife, Catherine, and kids, Bo and Kat…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

Nothing helps more with the pain of those I’ve lost, than

to imagine them all together, creating new family, with

those lost by the people we now consider family.

 

Eli is standing near DJ, Renee, Marlana, Jason, Griffey, Trisha, and Ashley. Also nearby, is Blair, and her grandparents Owen and Wendy…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

Whereas Eli, Griffey, Trisha, Ashley, DJ, Renee, Marlana,

Blair, Owen and Wendy have all become our family, and

helped ease the pain of our missing loved ones, it’s the

family they’ve lost, who now do the same with those

who we have lost…

 

POV finds Scout, emotional and holding her son Bryant, closely. Her daughters, Hope and Ryder are close by. Next to them, as is Dakota (sobbing), being held by Cleo…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

So, we take this year off from the gifts and decorations,

and instead spend the holiday together grieving, crying,

laughing, sharing stories, whatever it is you need to do,

to dedicate this Christmas to those who are not with us,

but very much on our minds, and in our hearts, during

this so very special night, of the year.

 

POV now finds Zane, with Pepsi (crying), her son Coke, and Chance. Also close-by, is Brianna and Kala, with tears running down their faces…

 

GRANDPA SAM

(off-screen)

The only gift I desire, is the image of a snowy Norman

Rockwell painting, taking place on the Eve of Christmas,

with the faces of all our missing loved ones, engaged in an

epic snowball fight, with the birthday boy leading the way…

 

POV finally finds Samantha, close to her moms, and Zane. She is bawling over her grandfather’s words, as the sound of a piano beginning a song, can be heard…

 

Rich, Joshua, Rachel and others are standing by the person on the piano, as they begin singing, “Christmas in Heaven”…

 

SINGERS

“December hasn’t changed

this town looks the same”

 

POV Grandpa, being greeted by Scout, with the lit Christmas tree behind them…

 

SINGERS

“They still light that tree

in the city square”

 

Scout leads him toward Samantha and Zane, where their other family members are meeting, hugging, and crying…

 

SINGERS

“There’s red, white and green

shining everywhere”

“And I wish you were here”

“And I wonder…”

 

 

POV of the entire group, hugging, crying and watching the singers…

 

SINGERS

“Is the snow falling down

on the streets of gold”

“Are the mansions all

covered in white”

 

POV of the singers…

 

SINGERS

“Are you singing

with angels”

“Silent Night

 

POV Samantha hugging her grandfather, as her family around is all in tears…

 

SINGERS

“I wonder”

“What Christmas in

heaven is like”

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. GLENWOOD (Moonshine complex) �" NIGHT

 

The singers can still be heard, as the song cuts a few lines and only the piano plays, while Moon and Shine are handing out drinks to the convicts, loggers, women, and even the young teens. Many of the women and children are emotional, and being comforted by the men…

 

SINGERS

“Cause I know you are there”

“And I wonder”

 

POV Stix, off alone, with a drink, and hiding his tears…

 

SINGERS

“Are you kneeling with shepherds

before him now”

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. NIKE WOLRD �" NIGHT

 

Singers still heard, as Harris reaches forward, brushing her hand against Isaac’s face, while on a stage with her family, Bonnie, Solis and Marshall…

 

SINGERS

“Can you reach out

and touch his face”

 

Their POV of all their people, down in front of them, silent, and holding burning candles…

 

SINGERS

“Are you part

of that glorious

Holy night”

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND “TOWN SQUARE” �" NIGHT

 

Singers still heard as the entire group is arm in arm, watching them sing, while thinking about their families…

 

SINGERS

“I wonder”

“What Christmas in

heaven is like”

 

Song goes instrumental a moment, while POV travels through the group, and their expressions…

It comes to Jennifer, thinking of Miles, as are her children…

Hunter embraces his wife…

Dakota remembers her dead brothers and sisters, with support from Cleo…

Blair weeps, with support from her grandparents…

Eli tries to remain strong, with some compassion from DJ, who has his arm around his sister…

Marlana is smiling, with tears, and looking upward…

 

SINGERS

“Is the snow falling down

on the streets of gold”

“Are the mansions

all covered in white”

“Are you singing

with angles”

“Silent Night”

 

POV coming to Zane, Grandpa and Samantha, all in support of each other, and their emotions…

 

SINGERS

“I wonder”

“What Christmas in

heaven is like…”

 

Song fades to an end, as does the scene, to the expressions of their emotion…

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

EXT. COMPOUND WALL �" DAY

 

Zane (11 years younger, 15), Fish, Scout, her daughters close-by, and Grandpa, are all full of smiles and excitement, as they stand on the catwalk of the compound wall, with the sound of loud fireworks, blowing up in the sky…

 

Grandpa looks up and out toward the sound of the fireworks, as Fish runs over to where Miles (19), his girlfriend Jennifer (20), Greg (9), Mark (7), Troy (13), Jagger (8), Kate (12), Chasin (17), Gunner (17), Wyatt (16) and Dakota (10), are all excitedly lighting fireworks. Mason, Vincent and his wife, are helping the younger kids…

 

POV fireworks, blowing in the sky, as down below, vehicles are lined up and driving toward and through the gates of the compound. Some of the vehicles are limousines, with people/kids standing through the roof tops, cheering on the fireworks, and excited to be entering the compound, which has banners at the gates, reading, “Grand Opening”, and, “Happy New Year, Happy Y2K!”…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. BAKER LANE (field) �" DAY

 

A much younger Porter, Jason, Colton and Weston (all mid/upper 20’s), signaling the vehicles where to park, as tons of the people are exiting the vehicles, looking around with excitement and awe…

There are a lot of unfamiliar faces, along with younger versions of some of the cousins, like Doc, Mike, Bunk and Virgil…

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND BARN �" DAY

 

Grandpa Sam, watching over the people and children, as they look over the barn, petting some of the horses and other animals. Grandma Laura comes to his side, as he wraps his loving arm around her, and they watch with pride…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND LAKE �" DAY

 

Scout, leading a bunch of people to the lake and the campsites. The kids excitedly look over the beach area and the kid friendly swimming area, and of course the rope swing. Some kids are skipping rocks over the lake, as Scout’s daughters run and join in on the fun…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND CREEK �" DAY

 

Hunter and his wife April, leading a large group of random people, over a trail, as they reach the back of the compound and the large creek that flows through it…

 

RANDOM TEEN

No way! You guys have a creek running though this

place!?

 

One of the random adults is walking over toward to where the creek flows right under the wall of the compound, with large bars that prevent people from getting in or out of the compound, and just enough room for the creek to flow through…

 

MAN

Amazing…

 

Hunter standing there proudly, with his arms around April, as they both watch the people, who are all in complete astonishment…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND NEIGHBORHOOD �" DAY

 

Mason, leading a group through the neighborhood, as they look over all the random houses…

 

RANDOM TEEN

Do people actually live here?

 

MASON

Some do, and others just vacation here. There are still

plenty of homes available. The idea is to have a sense

of what life used to be like, if this place does indeed

provide a new start, for a new world…

 

RANDOM MAN

Where’s the city streets, I’ve heard so much about?

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

Mason now leading that same group, into the town square area, where they look around at the different shops and even small buildings…

 

RANDOM TEEN

Amazing!

 

Many people go over to the statue of Grandpa Sam, looking it over…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND COMPLEX �" DAY

 

Grandpa Sam standing inside, next to his wife, Fish, Brianna (holding newborn baby Samantha) and Kayla, watching outside where a crowd of people are gathering in the backyard area, which has large canopies providing cover, and the pool water is steamy. There is a very large screen TV mounted, with New Years festivities playing, from it…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND BALL STADIUM �" DAY

 

Zane leading tons of people (mostly teens) out into the stadium, all in complete awe…

 

RANDOM TEEN

This is completely sick!

 

ZANE

Wrong time of year to get out on the field, but we can

take live BP in the cages. (glances over at Troy, with a

cocky smile) You guys can watch me blaze strikes by Troy.

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND TENNIS COURTS �" DUSK

 

A bunch of random people playing tennis, with others watching, drinking, and having a good time…

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND GYM (solarium) �" DUSK

 

Doc, sinking a 3-pointer, with applause from spectators, as he hustles back down court, sharing a high-five with Virgil and Bunk…

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. COMPOUND INDOOR SWIMMING POOL (solarium) �" DUSK

 

Miles is about to dive into the pool, with a couple of other unknown teens, and plenty of others already in the pool…

 

MILES

Don’t be scared, just follow me and know that

you’ll find oxygen, on the other side…

 

Miles dives into the pool, followed by the teens, who swim down deep after him. They follow him near the bottom, over by the end of the pool/building, and disappear…

POV finds them all rising on the other side, finding that oxygen, and a whole new “hidden” room, dark without windows, and tiki lights, around the swimming hole, and random hot tubs…

 

RANDOM TEEN

Sick!!!

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. COMPOUND BATTING CAGES �" DUSK

 

Zane winds up and delivers a blazing fastball, right by Troy, who swings and misses, to cheering from the others, as Zane shows competitive emotion, toward Troy.

 

ZANE

YEAH BABY! It’s like it’s Y2K or something, cause it’s

lights out for you, baby!

 

Laughter from the others…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. BAKER COMPLEX (backyard) �" NIGHT

 

People are everywhere in the backyard area, in the steamy pool, sitting at tables, on the large decks that surround the area. Dick Clark is on the big screen TV, as everyone is drinking and having a great time…

 

POV begins following a random guy, who walks by the pool, and toward opposite side of the Baker complex, where the pool runs into a large hill, and goes right inside (like a cave), where other rooms/areas appear to be…

The man walks right inside, and sits at a table with friends, as POV scans the entire area, of random tables, people, the extended swimming pool, and many random hot tubs…

 

Grandpa Sam sits at a table, with his wife, and Mason and his wife (Sandra), who looks like she may be suffering from cancer.

Edward (ship captain), Garrett and a few others (Tom, Sabrina, and Jack) are also present…

 

TOM

You’ve done some amazing things, my friend, but you’ve

simply outdone yourself with this masterpiece, of yours.

 

GRANDPA SAM

Everything before this was all about making a fortune, that

would provide security for my family. Once I achieved that,

it was all about the kind of security that my “fortune” alone,

could not provide.

 

SABRINA

Well, in the words of my own grandson, let the lights go

out at midnight, because I’m ready to call this place home.

 

Grandpa smiles as he takes notice of Porter, approaching. He listens as Porter arrives and speaks into his ear. Grandpa then begins to rise, while excusing himself.

 

GRANDPA SAM

Well, amazing or not, it doesn’t prevent family drama.

 

GRANDMA LAURA

Leo and Zane? 

 

GRANDPA SAM

And Mary…

 

Mason rolling his eyes and leaving the table, kissing his wife, and then following after Grandpa…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. COMPLEX �" NIGHT

 

Grandpa/Mason arriving in a back room, where Vincent and Fish are speaking privately with Leo…

 

VINCENT

I get it, Leo. It’s been over a year. The way the kids lost

their mother is the most tragic thing this family has been

through. You moving on is fine, but with her…bringing

her here, without anyone having any idea the two of you

were reuniting. (shaking his head, staring at Leo)

 

FISH

Zane deserved a heads up; all your kids did.

 

LEO

I deserve to be happy…I deserve to have something in my

life that helps ease the pain of MY LOSS! (looking right at

Vincent) You get it, Vincent? You get how much of a loss

she was for her children? What about MY LOSS?!

 

ZANE

(off-screen)

If she was such a loss then WHY ARE YOU HERE WITH

THE WOMAN YOU CRUSHED HER WITH?!

 

Fish and Grandpa instantly moving to step to Zane (entering room), preventing him from getting closer to his father…

 

ZANE

You destroyed her with that b***h! My mom was never

the same! How dare you bring her here!

 

CUT TO:

 

Mary outside in other room, holding back a smile, with the faint sound of more yelling…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. GUARD TREE HOUSE �" NIGHT

 

Zane, Dakota, Miles, Gunner and Chasin, all hanging out in the tree house. All of them except Dakota, have beers, as Zane is chugging his…

 

MILES

Well, even Grandpa probably wouldn’t mind you

drinking, after all that.

 

DAKOTA

I want one!

 

MILES

No.

 

DAKOTA

Oh, come on; it’s New Years!

 

GUNNER

I’m thinking she’d be a funny drunk…

 

Dakota staring at Miles, pleading with her eyes…

 

DAKOTA

Pleeeease?

 

Miles looks like he is about to give in, before Zane answers…

 

ZANE

Hell no… (chugging rest of his beer)

 

Zane grabs and opens another beer, staring out over the compound wall, toward the field and woods…

 

ZANE

Mom was never the same, after that woman…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. COMPLEX BACKYARD �" NIGHT

 

Everyone excitedly counting down, and staring toward the large screen TV, as the ball in downtown Portland, is seconds from dropping…

 

PEOPLE CHANTING

FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 

Everyone wildly cheering, and pointing to the lights, which are still burning…

Doc is holding his drink in the air, celebrating with plenty of girls around, as well as Bunk, Virgil, Mike, Sage and Skyler, among others…

 

DOC

We survived Y2K!

 

BUNK

The lights are still on!

 

POV finds all the different Baker family members, kissing/hugging/smiling with loved ones, until it finally comes to Zane, way up on one of the balconies, with just Dakota, and staring down toward his dad, who is happily celebrating with Mary, as well as Troy, Jagger and Kate…

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

EXT. NIKE WORLD GATES �" DAY

 

Massive amounts of vehicles are going through the gates, as Solis supervises, with many other armed guards…

 

CUT TO:

 

INT. NIKE SLIDES - DAY

 

Many of the young kids excitedly running for the slides, and other attractions or neat looking parts of the Nike scenery, as well as the games that are set up, as part of a fair type event…

 

Grandpa Sam is smiling, as he watches his grandchildren, August, Jax, Maddox, Blaze, Bo and Kat, all in awe, over the kid friendly setup. Griffey, Samantha, Renee, Trisha and Ashley are also entering the scene, as well as many other kids…

 

Even Eli and the older teens, have some athletic type of events to participate in, and are curiously looking around, and even meeting some of the other teens, from both Nike World and Glenwood. They are being watched by many of the girls, from the other camps. Scoop and some of the other Rough Riders are already introducing themselves…

 

The Queen arrives, with looks of awe from all the people who have heard more about her, than seen…

She moves toward Grandpa, shaking his hand, as well as Bonnie and Marshall. Zane, Stix and Kemp arrive, also shaking hands with everyone…

Joshua is standing next to Mayday and Gia, staring at the Queen…

 

JOSHUA

So, that’s the Queen, eh?

 

GIA

I heard her, her father and sister, are half ninja.

 

MAYDAY

Rumor I heard, is that they are making everyone here,

half ninja…

 

Joshua still staring at her in awe…

 

JOSHUA

I wanna be half ninja…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

A montage of several scenes throughout the Nike World, where people are playing sports, games, participating in fair events, winning/receiving brand new Nike shoes, kids sliding down the slides, someone dressed as a Nike character, entertaining the little kids…

 

Everyone is having a great time, as if the world was not in apocalyptic devastation…

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

INT. GYMNASIUM �" NIGHT

 

The gym is empty, except for someone inside of a netted batting cage, throwing batting practice to a young 6-year-old boy, with a 4-year-old boy (Troy) standing on the outside, watching…

The man is about to throw another pitch, before stopping and giving instructions to the kid.

 

LEO

Back shoulder, keep it up.

 

He throws the pitch, and the kid takes a mighty rip, making great contact, with excitement from Leo.

 

LEO

That a boy, Zane!

 

A woman walks into the gym, holding baby Dakota, and shouting over at Leo.

 

WOMAN

The ball’s dropping in like two minutes!

 

Zane removes his helmet as Leo approaches, with an excited look at Troy.

 

ZANE

You did it, Troy. You stayed up for the new year!

 

TROY

Hurry, Daddy! I don’t want to miss it, again. I

stayed up all night, this year!

 

Leo grabs/lifts the netting of the batting cage, as he and Zane climb under, but then drops it down over Troy, tangling him.

 

LEO

Oh, no! Now you’re all tangled up, and will never

make it out of there in time for the new year!

 

Troy desperately trying to get out.

 

TROY

Daddy, no!

 

Zane begins trying to help him, before Leo lifts it up off of him, with a laugh.

 

LEO

I’m just giving you a hard time, buddy.

 

They quickly begin walking toward exit of the gym.

 

ZANE

Dad? Can I play on your team in the Sand Series,

in 1990?

 

LEO

(with laugh)

Not this year; have to be sixteen before playing with

the big boys, but we’ll have a junior series, this year.

Maybe by the time you’re old enough for the real

series, it’ll be played at Grandpa’s new hotel.

 

ZANE

The one he wants to build with a field in the middle,

of it?!

 

LEO

That would be the one.

 

ZANE

When?!

 

LEO

Well, both the compound and the Baker Boardwalk

have to come to fruition, first, but I’m sure he’ll achieve

that dream, too.

 

Suddenly, a large crowd of people can be heard from the other room, beginning to chant the New Year’s countdown.

 

TROY

Daddy, hurry!!!

 

Leo laughing as he picks up Troy and they begin hustling toward the doors.

 

CROWD

(off-screen)

Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five.

 

They disappear around the corner and join in on the countdown.

 

LEO/ZANE/TROY/CROWD

(off-screen)

Four, three, two, one, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

EXT. GLENWOOD CAMP (DC) �" DAY

 

A dozen men are locked up in the DC, staring out at all the cons, loggers, and other men/women, who are standing around, as others have arrived, and are piling out of their vehicles, near the gate…

The others are people from both the compound and Nike World, who are shaking hands with some of the people from Glenwood…

 

Solis is there, along with a few Beaverton police officers. Porter, Jason, Colton, Chasin, Zane, Doc and all the other cousins, are all there. They are receiving moonshine from the Glenwood members, as well as Moon and Shine, who are handing out drinks to everyone…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. GLENWOOD MESS HALL �" NIGHT

 

Everyone now more festive/drunk, playing cards/drinking games, music/dancing, dogs barking and involved in the wild fun, lots of laughter and all out fun…

 

Chasin is with Porter, Jason Colton, Stix, Kemp, Lester, Deon, Ned. Floyd and others, all drinking/talking. Random cons and others are introducing themselves, shaking hands with Chasin and others…

 

Damon, Geno and a handful of other cons, are huddled up together, over on other side of room. They’re looking over toward the others, and taking notice of Chasin, now heading their direction…

 

DAMON

Ahhh, s**t…

 

Chasin arrives and offers his hand…

 

CHASIN

Don’t believe I’ve had the honor, yet.

 

Damon is the first to take his hand, followed by Geno and the others. One of them (Jones) is the first to speak.

 

JONES

So, are you an actual Baker, or just a friend of the

family?

 

CHASIN

An actual Baker, indeed. Your fearless leader would

be my cousin.

 

JONES

(looking him over)

I don’t know, you look pretty fearless, yourself. I already

had “Grover” pegged as the black sheep of the family,

but with those tats of yours, maybe not.

 

CHASIN

Actually, it was “Zane” who kept me from becoming

that black sheep. His influence on me went a long way

toward who I am today. There’s a long line of people

behind me, who would tell you the same. It’s what he

does.

 

JONES

Is that what he’s doing here? Influencing us convicts

on how to be model citizens?

 

CHASIN

I don’t know, for sure, but what I do know is that he

had been offered leadership of the compound, and

turned it down to lead here, and help prove that we

all need to work together.

 

JONES

So, what do you think? Can a family like yours, actually

share this new world with the kind of men who’d give

your children nightmares?

 

A few more convicts begin arriving, as Chasin looks around at them…

 

CHASIN

What do you think? Can a group like yours, actually

share this new world with the kind of people who will

expect you not to make the same mistakes, you did in

the old one?

 

Jones just looking him over, as Stix, Porter and the others begin arriving…

Damon smiles with a nod…

 

DAMON

Touché.

 

Jones a skeptical look at Damon…

 

CHASIN

Besides, the real nightmare is (motioning toward gates)

out there… And the real “Grover” chose you guys for a

reason, and from what we’ve heard, he appeared to be a

man who knew what he was doing.

 

JONES

That he did…

 

PORTER

Hence the DC he had built, out there…

 

Some intense looks from some of the convicts…

 

JONES

What’s that supposed to mean?

 

PORTER

That your man knew the importance of it.

 

JONES

Sounds like you’re saying a little more than just that.

 

PORTER

Nope, just that you’d have nowhere to hold those men,

if not for the DC. Convict in the old world or not, breaking

the law in the new world, will have consequences…hence

the reason we have bars, here and at the compound.

 

STIX

And Grover knew it would be men like us, like (motioning

toward Jones) you, who would have no problem providing

aid, in forcing those laws.

 

Jones laughing then taking a swig of his moonshine…

 

JONES

I honestly can’t tell if you’re talking s**t or kissing our

asses, but either way, an interesting new world it’s

going to be.

 

Chasin and Porter smiling with a nod toward Jones and taking a drink of their own…

Damon looks and speaks to both Porter and Chasin.

 

DAMON

Hey bro…you know Cleo?

 

DISSOLVE TO: FLASHBACK

 

EXT. SAND SERIES HOTEL �" DUSK

 

POV Twin Rocks (same POV of opening shot of this series), panning back over the rough ocean waves, and onto the quiet beach, before coming over the walls of the Sand Series Hotel (logs from storms pushed up onto the rocks that lay in front of Hotel wall)…

 

POV continues panning back, over the sand of the quiet wiffleball field, but as the quiet gives way to the sound of loud music, coming from inside, where POV goes, to the instant sound of tons of festive people and loud music…

 

People are everywhere, and celebrating. Some familiar faces can be seen, as POV goes down the long corridor, heading for the basement and the rooms where Leo found his dead huff children. Doc, Bunk, Mike, Virgil, Leon, Sage, Skyler and other cousins, can be seen drinking and having a good time. Now some of the Bakers and their families can be seen, even the younger kids.

 

Almost all of the Bakers, along with many others, are eventually seen, but not Zane, until he finally goes running through the room, holding a wiffleball bat, and followed by Samantha (around 8-9 months before the apocalypse). Fish is walking after them, with a laugh, as Troy, Jagger, Kate, Miles, Greg, Mark, Rich and Gunner, go chasing after them…

 

POV cuts to the quiet wiffleball field, where Zane comes charging out the doors, followed by Samantha and the others, as well as Fish, Doc and the cousins. Half of them take the field, while the other half prepare to hit, while Fish turns on the ball park lights, and stands to the side watching, as Scout and her children join him…

 

They watch as Samantha goes to the plate with a bat, with cheers from her cousins…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

EXT. PIER �" NIGHT

 

Everyone piled on the pier, and chanting…

 

EVERYONE

FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 

Fireworks instantly begin blowing up above them, lit by Gunner and others, at the end of the pier…

There is commotion coming from the entire town of people, celebrating the stroke of midnight…

 

POV goes through the crowd, and all the friends and happy family members, including lost loved ones, like Miles, Greg, Mark, Vincent, Troy and his wife, Jagger and Kate, even Leo with his wife Mary…

POV comes to Zane, celebrating with his arms around Fish and Samantha…

 

ZANE

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO, THIS YEAR, SAM?

 

SAMANTHA

WIN THE SAND SERIES!!!

 

ZANE

YOU’RE GOD DAMN RIGHT WE ARE! 2010 WILL BE

THE BEST YEAR EVER!!!!!!!

 

DISSOLVE TO: 14 MONTH RECAP

 

INT. NIKE WORLD �" NIGHT

 

POV travels over the faces of all the Nike people, and all the others who are there for the new year, as they all stare forward, listening to someone speak.

 

ZANE

(off-screen, over mic)

I’d say most of us, but I believe it’s for every last one

of us, that this year has been the longest of our lives.

What we did or where we were, just one year ago at

this moment, feels like a lifetime ago, and a different

world ago. I myself was surrounded by a ton of loved

ones who I still have in my life, and a ton more, who I

do not… I remember saying it was going to be the best

year ever…but it was the worst… It was so bad, and so

many were lost, that the few of us left behind, are

forced to start over. We mourned together for Christmas,

but now it’s time to begin healing, and looking forward

to life, again…

 

POV Zane, looking over the entire crowd, before his next words…

 

ZANE

(over mic)

It won’t be just about surviving…that’s not the new

world my grandfather envisioned. He has done

everything he can to help his family, friends, and those

he has crossed paths with, to make it through the

worst of the worst… But being the dreamer who he is,

much more has been set in motion. He wanted the

survivors of his new world to feel excitement and

share in annual traditions, just as they did in the old

one. He dreamed of a world and a life, worthy of

surviving in, and worthy of fighting for. A world where

good things, helped prevent the bad…

 

POV Grandpa (tear running down his face), in the corner, with Scout and her kids, and Mason, and most of his great grandkids, as well as Griffey, Tricia, Ashley and Jason…

 

ZANE

(off-screen, over mic)

Right here, and at the compound, on our ball fields

and basketball courts, is where that excitement

begins, and the traditions become anticipated. I

mean…we have some ball players, here, right?

 

Many teens raising hands or shouting excitement. Blake and Joshua whistling with excitement, along with other Rough Riders, and of course Eli…

 

ZANE

(over mic)

We aren’t just talking about random games or

tossing a ball around, but actual challenges, with

bets, trash talk (more excitement from the teens),

football, basketball, tennis, baseball, wiffleball

(more excitement), regular seasons, playoffs! (more

excitement) The Thanksgiving Bowl! (excitement)

basketball and softball tournaments (excitement),

the Sand Series!

 

POV Joshua and others, exploding with excitement, as well as other random teens from Nike World…

 

ZANE

(over mic)

And what better way to keep everyone updated on

events than to have a monthly newspaper! We have

writers at the compound! The Monthly Forester, it will

be called, and for those of you lucky enough to win a

tournament or Sand Series Championship, will have

your ugly mugs, posted in that monthly addition!

 

Samantha excitedly watching all the teens/people cheer…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. GLENWOOD MESS HALL �" NIGHT

 

Chasin and Stix are basically doing the same thing as Zane, while standing up in front of all the convicts, pumping them up, for the year ahead, as they cheer at what they’re hearing.

 

CHASIN

(over mic)

And there are some guys at Nike World, who claim

they can out-hoop a bunch of convicts, any day!

 

STIX

(over mic)

And you’ll have your chance to prove them wrong,

because the first tournament there, will be in just

two weeks!

 

Convicts/others exploding with excitement…

 

CHASIN

(over mic)

And screw simply bragging rights, you’ll also be

playing for prizes!

 

More cheering…

 

STIX

(looking at Chasin, over mic)

I hear the compound also has a court, and some

ball fields?

 

CHASIN

(sarcastically, over mic)

Like these guys can take any of my people at basketball

or softball.

 

More cheering…

 

STIX

(looking out at convicts, over mic)

They’ll GET THEIR SHOT!

 

Way more cheering…

 

DISSOLVE TO:

 

INT. NIKE WORLD �" NIGHT

 

Zane is still on stage, with the Queen, counting down the new year over the microphone, along with the entire crowd.

 

ZANE/QUEEN/CROWD

FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 

ZANE

(over mic)

Happy PA-1!

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. GLENWOOD CAMP - NIGHT

 

Fireworks blowing up in the sky above the camp, with tons of excitement from everyone below…

A handful of huffs are outside the gates, but not too many…

 

CUT TO:

 

EXT. NIKE WORLD �" NIGHT

 

Fireworks blowing up over the Nike World gates, with excitement down below, from all the people, as a bunch of huffs are on the outside, entering down into the large trenches…

 

BLACK

 

CREDITS

 

 

 

 

THE END

© 2020 Mike Decker


My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

19 Views
Added on June 23, 2019
Last Updated on June 8, 2020
Tags: The Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Zombies, apocalypse

Author

Mike Decker
Mike Decker

vancouver, WA



About
My daughter and I are huge Walking Dead fans, and have put together our own spinoff series, of it... Above The Dead It's an absolute emotional mess, and a total suspense/thriller... https://w.. more..

Writing