The First Times the Hardest

The First Times the Hardest

A Story by deepshade

Jack stood on the ledge of a massive cliff. Looking up into the sky he breathed in deeply enjoying the unpolluted mountain air compared to the acidic nature of the city. Curling his toes in the dirt Jack awaited his instructor. This was it, the final test at The Academy. Smiling he knelt to feel the ground. This was only his second time outside of the chaotic city of Haven. He could not see the sky-bikes weaving around the building tops but he knew they were there. The giant civilian and military transport he knew can be seen at this distance of seventy miles and wondered how much farther one had to be to not see or hear the damned city.

            Boots crunched on the ground behind Jack on the well worn path. Turning his head he smiled as Syanya walked toward the cliff’s edge. Her cheeks reddened as she quickly looked to the ground. She looked beautiful in the dark blue dress she chose for this occasion.  Jack slowly stood as the instructor approached behind her. Isaac was a monster of a man bearing six feet of muscles and hair. The man looked like he needed to shave more than just his face.

            “Good you’re early.” Isaac’s voice resonated around the clearing they were in. His rustic voice gave no hint to the tender soul he harbored. It was he who took Jack in off the streets ten years earlier. “Take off your clothes. Syanya will wipe you down and then you can get into the SUIT.” He lowered the pack he was carrying and handed a couple of towels to Syanya. She stood silently with her beet red face and tried not to look at Jack as he stripped.

            Jack handed his clothes to Isaac who promptly set them down and burned them. The smell of the synthetic clothes left a very un-tasteful scent on the wind. Standing in a spread eagle fashion he closed his eyes and tilted his head back as Syanya wipe him down from head to toe with cleanings water and many ivory white cloth squars.

            Isaac began to chant quietly then raised his voice as he continued chanting. Syanya was crying by the time she was done. Lowering his voice Isaac looked Jack in the eye. “If you succeed you will join the ranks of the Valsha’. If you fail you join the thousands of others whose tomb is the bottom of the Angel’s Cliff. Now prepare yourself.”

            Jack took the suit that was folded in the bag and began to pull it on. It was a Valsha’ trainee suit, Tight fitting and uncommonly comfortable its dark green set of his yellow eyes nicely. Pulling it over his arms he left if unzipped. “Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this, Isaac.” He grabbed he other man’s forearm and shook. Turning to lay eyes on Syanya he smiled sweetly. “And to you Syanya….” She ran into his arms and held him.

            “Please…please don’t do this” She let him lift her face to his. “Only a few can fly! You never even tried before!” Her gorgeous green eyes sparkled with tears. Removing her hands he kissed her forehead and lips.

            Quiet he spoke, smooth as silk. “Don’t worry my love. I will succeed. I know I will.” Turning he walked to the cliff’s edge and turned o face them. “Thank you for this chance to pass your test.” He yelled at the spectators in the transport hovering just above the tree tops. Smiling and looking at Syanya he leaned back and slid form the cliff edge.

            Syanya cried out and ran for the edge but was caught by her uncle Isaac. She turned to him and cried. Isaac could not hold his tears back either.

 

            Jack rolled in the sky free falling faster and faster. He looked down into the mist that shrouded the bottom half of the three mile high cliff the tallest mountain range in the world. Clearing his mind Jack thought of nothing but mastering the winds. Controlling it to take him where he wanted no where it wanted. Passing this test was the only way he could improve his lot in life and he able to marry Syanya.

            Opening his eyes they let out a brilliant yellow glow and the once round pupils were now vertically slit like a cats eye spreading his hands a little ways from his body Jack struggled with the force of nature to gain control to save his life. Passing into the mist he had to fight harder for now he was in fail point. Only half of the testers who fall here make it out and only a fifth of all who passed had ever fallen to this point.

            The wind was filling his mind trying to distract him. “No!” he screamed as the mist cleared to show him the blood stained rocks below. Bones of past students littered about them. Pushing his mind to the limit he fought back. Sweat blew from his face, concentration straining his features. With less than a mile to go he won.

            Smiling in joy the wind left his mind as blissful silence filled the space. He turned towards the mist gaining speed as he gained altitude. Approaching the cliff he let out signature call laughing as he speed past in a blur. He heard Syanya cry out in joy as he blurred past. Slowing down and stopped to hover in equal height with the transport.

            “Now then, Do I pass the test and join your ranks? Or do I have to beat all your prejudices?” He stared at each of the ten Valsha’ warriors each nodded in turn and smiled back at him.

© 2010 deepshade


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on August 1, 2010
Last Updated on August 1, 2010

Author

deepshade
deepshade

CA



About
Have not been around for a few years, planning on re-writing some of this work and posting new works as well. more..

Writing