The mahogany door

The mahogany door

A Poem by Delilah

I stand there, my back is against the wall. In front of me a closed door appears. I will the voices from behind the door to stop calling out at me. The door looks ordinary, a rich mahogany. All around me it is dark. I put one foot in front of me, I beg it to stop. I don't wish to go any further preferring to ponder just exactly where I am. My hair flows down my back, wavy and tangled, I'm wearing a long white dress. Made of the finest silk and chiffon. No makeup graces my face, my true plainness is there for the whole world to see. Something, I've always dreaded to show you. My lips are chapped I lick them in vain hoping to at least add some color to my pale face. Beauty, wealth and love await you behind the door I hear the voices whisper... I know better than to believe them though. Because how could anything ever promise another such a thing? I run my hands through my hair, they get caught and I have to work them free. I find that the floor is dusty and with each step forward, my footprints become illuminated in gold. I look behind me and see that I'm halfway to the door. "Am I dreaming?" I ask my self. "Is this real?" For who can ever say what is reality these days, there always seems to be some illusion showing up before you... I close my eyes and take a deep breathe, I hear everyone's voice but my own right now. It's all coming out me in a confusing jumble. I can't make out the words, and I have no clue who is speaking. I say it loudly, I tell them to stop. They continued now, growing louder drowning out my thin and weak voice. I grow angry at this, I suddenly feel an intense rage. My cheeks grow warm and I see now they are turning rosy. My cold hands, start to feel the heat around me and I see that I am right at the door now. So, I stop and stare deep into the door, I open my mouth wide and in one ferocious breath, I command that they stop. I tell them to shut up and listen carefully to me. I have no interest or desire to hear them, there is a pause and after a moment the start up again. Although this time, is is quieter and with less voices. I stand still for a moment this time though not even trying to register the noise. And now, without yelling, without screaming I tell them they must leave. I tell them I have no wish to hear their wails and cries. I have no wish to stand here in the dark as they talk. And I have no wish to join them behind the great mahogany door. For I know, it is purgatory and the place they are at now, is not a good one. Surprisingly they are silent, and one by one they leave. The room suddenly lightens. It's morning now, I can hear the birds around me. I open the door and am staring out into my yard. The demons from my dreams had disappeared now. I could see the spring flowers in full bloom, their perfume wafting up to me.

© 2014 Delilah


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on April 18, 2014
Last Updated on April 18, 2014

Author

Delilah
Delilah

seattle, WA



Writing
Questions Questions

A Poem by Delilah


Daffodils Daffodils

A Poem by Delilah