9/11 An Anniversary Remembered

9/11 An Anniversary Remembered

A Poem by Baby Ricochet

"They" did this to us
"Because they hate freedom"
Our leaders said

So we did this to "them"
"Because they were terrorists"
Our leaders said

 

No one rose out of the rubble 



No ones loved ones came home 


So pile coffins to the heavens 



and throw on some more
We're all cannon fodder
For their oil war

© 2014 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
Ever wonder why a band of mercenaries like ISL can move on Iraq as quickly as they did and our leadership makes statements like " it'll be a long and slow fight" to remove ISL from the region? Ever wonder why the brutal public execution of 2 US reporters was used as an excuse to bring the wrath of US air power back into Iraq or why ISL would be stupid enough to give the US an excuse to bomb the shit out of them?
Ever wonder how a caliphate in the middle of the northern half of Iraq is a threat to the US or why ISL'S initial offensive stalled before they reached Baghdad? Ever wonder why US Afghanistan policy is obviously failing and yet no one's changed the base strategy since the first assault in 02, because there was no base strategy? Just a few questions our Jingo crazed press never seems to want to ask. On a personal note, I didn't lose friends on 9/11. I lost friends because of it. That's why this memorial poem spins another direction.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a strong message, you have here.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Strong message, well said..One of the reasons, yes just one cause there are so many reasons to love your writing, but one of them is because of your strong voice. Amen to the words of your mind, they speak the truth that the oblivious find hard to swallow.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you Keegan
I didn't love any loved ones either way, but I felt the shock of the attack. I've never thought we should be in Iraq but I admire each of the soldiers who put their lives on the line... My hope is that things will change, but I expect them to only get worse if they do...

I do love how you used pictures to help tell the story...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks for stopping by
Powerful, the way you composed this. This seminal event in the history of mankind (emergence of extremism all the way to our front doors) is best shared exactly the way you did it. Words alone won't suffice, and neither will imagery on its own. But together?
Potent.



Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

thanks diego
That was such a sad day. I was taking istep when it happened. the following years were just as bad as that attack on us. I am strongly against war and retaliation, bullying and dictatorship. This world is a sad place to live with our fellow man always being in battle. This was very well expressed. I got teary eyed just reading it. It's tremendous when one has the courage to tell the truth. You've stated something that I only speak amongst very close friends. I could never be brave enough to speak my mind as you have. Bravo to you. Thank you for sharing this piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading
rocked me to my core with this man. i remember when this happened my aunt called our house (she was in south jersey across the river thankfully) an was in complete tears. it was a madness man. very good write bro.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

She may well could have seen the whole thing from where she was. The World Trade Towers were freakin.. read more
Solidly written, BR. As a reader, I like your take and slant of this. Yes, it was a sad and terrible day for this country. One that many here would never believe could happen. (The ocean's don't protect us or insulate us like they once did so very long ago.)

I remember late that night, long after all the planes in this country were on the ground, many C-130's flew over my house very low. I lived about forty miles south-southwest of Pope and Fort Bragg at the time. It didn't take a genius to figure out Special Forces were on the move.

Your use of the different coffins in the different parts of the world is very strong and telling. I can't help but think of the small child that either sees firsthand, or learns that a brother or parent is not coming home because of some bullet or bomb ended their life. It didn't matter who was right or who was wrong. It didn't matter if they were innocent or guilty. All that child knew someone they loved was lost to them. And one day, that child will grow up and seek out the shooter or the bomber. Maybe not the one in particular; but, the one under that flag will suit him well. Or the country.

So, on it goes. His revenge will set off another small child, and because of him, another small child will take up the life he feels he must lead. The cycle is unending. It won't end no matter what the original stakes were all about. It won't end no matter what religion, ideology, or leader says he, or we, should do.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Revenge is an unstoppable poison. Thanks for your input Mr G.
We're all cannon fodder

For their oil war

The level of separation that warmongers have between love and empathy always astounds me. Great write, Baby.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you Pryde
Very well written, complete new look on the whole situation. But it will never end.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Not any time soon. That's for sure
"I didn't lose friends on 9/11. I lost friends because of it."

Definitely a new perspective apart from the other memorial poems dedicated to the event. Most people like to focus on the tragedy itself, and not the events that unfolded afterwards that have led to even more profound effects among everybody involved with it. Recently, I've heard from an acquaintance a quote that I will probably not forget for quite awhile that I your poem brought to mind; "War is war and hell is hell. War is not hell and hell is not war. Hell is full of those who've committed sins, but war? War is different. War is full of innocent bystanders that get the worst of it. Children, cripples, old ladies . . . They all catch wind for something they do their best to be away from."

Truly a well spoken poem from you, as always.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks Tai

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

933 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2014
Last Updated on September 11, 2014

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..