The Truth

The Truth

A Story by Deena Zen
"

"Why do you hide the truth when the truth is clearly right in front of us? Why do you say the opposite when the truth is the other way round? Why do you lie?

"

It was the start of my final and senior year in high school and I wanted it to be memorable one once I've graduated from it. Everything was normal. I had my normal friends, which is Kelly, Megan and Nicole. The three of them was definitely the best of the friends that I've got so far. They were not judgmental, down to earth and maybe sometimes the gossip-maniac group of people, but most importantly, they've been there through my thick and thin. 

When my parents decided to proceed with the divorce, they were the ones who gave me strength and support to move forward and leave that matter behind. They were the ones who cheered me up when I have nothing to offer to them. I'm not that rich kind of girl, but they were. They live in a mansion located 15 minutes from the school and it was huge. Their bedroom was as huge as my living room and I don't want to start with the other parts of the house. The fact that they wanted to be friends with me was something that I could've not imagined. I never imagine my life will be this outgoing and fun, but thanks to them that I am be able to be who I am as comfortable as ever.


********


"KRIIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!"

I was shoving my books into the locker and some of it fell off. I tried to pick them up and put it back in the locker, but I couldn't be clumsy enough to make the books fall all over again. 

"Shittt!!", I whispered to myself as I picked up again the books from the floor.

' Late as usual Ms. Alice. '

I can imagine how will Mr. Johnson will react to my lateness to the class. Including this time, it was the  fifth time in a row I was late. When you were late, you got these stares from your classmates and the teacher itself and I tell you it was not the best feeling in the world. It sucks!

I locked my locker finally and my legs started to strive to the English class as quickly as possible. 

"Late as usual Ms. Alice", says Mr. Johnson. The same sentence. I knew it!

"Umm..yes Mr. Johnson." The only words that I could've thought to say. It wasn't like I have much to say because I'm late and that's the truth.

I saw the stares that my classmates were throwing at me. I know I'm late, but you don't have the rights to judge me from my lateness. My books fell off okay and I'm a very clumsy person in the world. Just so you know! I'm scolding them in my head.

"Punctuality is very important Alice. Don't forget that. Now take a seat so we can go on with our class."

I nodded to his words of advice and thankful that he did not take the matter seriously, although I know he meant it in every word that he said to me about the punctuality. 

I must not be late for the next class. I promised to myself and will make a self reminder about it.

"So today, we will be discussing about quotes." Mr. Johnson said.

The sound of sighing filled the entire classroom. All the students were not showing their interest in it but me. Is it just me looking forward for this class? I love English class and I also love other languages. Due to my lateness to class every time, everyone thinks that I hated English class and that includes Mr. Johnson too. 

He continued, "Okay, settle down people or I will make sure you'll write a review of 10 quotes and submit it by tomorrow. It is your choice to choose."

With that, it settles the noises that filled the classroom earlier. They went to mute, but still protesting by showing their weird moving faces and that includes my group of friends; Kelly, Megan and Nicole. They never liked English class, they will rather sleep than to hear Mr. Johnson talks about quotes of the past. How I wish that they put some effort into their studies at the same as they put their effort on their clothes that they were wearing.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain the thought without accepting it." Mr. Johnson said. " Anyone knows who quote this and what's the meaning behind the quotes?"

The room was in silence. It was like an exam hall. A drop of a pencil will surely attract all the student to it. 

Aristotle. I said in my mind.

I really enjoy reading quotes and especially Aristotles's. There are tons of it and how could they not know it was Aristotle. He quoted about love, education, ethics and many more. I've seen it in the Tumblr and Facebook so many times. They used this quote in the picture and make it nice for us to see it. Do they even own a Facebook? I'm pissed because it is the famous quotes from Aristotle and people should know about it. With that, I unintentionally raised my hand to answer Mr. Johnson's questions.

"Yes, Ms. Alice. Do you have the answer?" He asked.

"I guess so. That quote is from Aristotle. The quotes explains about tolerance from another point of view. Basically, we, all of us, has our own opinions about certain things or situations, but we have to be fair and willing to hear the others opinion as well. So in that way we would have a broad outlook. I think that is what the quotes were trying to point out. So yeah, that's it. I guess."

I know that almost all of my classmates were shocked at my answers but what the hell. I couldn't care less and I didn't know how I manage to utter that explanation so smoothly. It's like I rehearse it before class, but the reality is that I didn't. 

I hear a clap from the front of the class. It was Mr. Johnson. He claps his hands and said, 

"That is correct! I'm surprised that the explanation to the quotes itself was also correct. How did you know that it was Aristotle's quotes?" 

"I must've read it somewhere. But I couldn't remember where though." I said flatly and smile.

He chuckles and start with another quote. But this time it is a quote which I never heard before. 

"This quote is by Plato and it is one of my favorite quotes. So hear me out okay!" Mr. Johnson said.

The students in the class nodded slightly because they knew if they didn't pay attention to this discussion Mr. Johnson will definitely make them write a review about it.

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. The quote that I've just recited explains about fear. We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark means that we can easily forgive the child for not knowing about others or the outside world had in stored for them because they do not possess the intelligence or the knowledge about it The tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light, on the other hand means, it is a tragic thing to see that men refuses to see what's in front of them. Basically, they were afraid of the light or we can call it the truth because they are afraid that the truth might be mean to them. We all have experienced that kind of feelings. The fear of not being good enough, the fear of failure, the fear of social acceptance, the fear of  making yourself perfect and much more. Those little things can't be seen with your naked eyes because you choose to avoid them. Therefore, the more you tried to avoid the light, the more you'll become afraid of the truth. This quotes makes us think in many ways of how the world today tend to create a reality around a fantasy or a fairy tale that never existed before."

The explanation about Plato's quotes blew me away. It is not because I've heard it the first time ever in my life, it is because I was afraid of the light and avoid it. It's been 2 months now. I know somehow I have had to face the light and this fairy tale that I've created around my reality was not going to work. I had to tell him. I've got to make him know that the relationship between us is over. It's not that I don't love him, it is because I knew that his heart somehow is not with me but with someone else. I've been trying to get over it these past 2 months and with the explanation that Mr. Johnson gave about the quotes he recited, it opened my eyes and my heart somehow to face the truth and the truth is I'm afraid of it. I'm afraid to lose something that is precious to me because I've felt it once and it is hard for me to get back up and stand on the ground by my own. But the fact that he was also into this world of lies, I can't help but to follow him into it. I know it was wrong and I'm not happy at all but I'm afraid to lose him. Afraid to lose my boyfriend, John.

I was lost in my own world of thoughts, I didn't hear the bell rang. Kelly, Megan and Nicole were in front of my desk, staring down at me. 

"Are you okay Alice?" There's a tone of concern in Kelly's voice.

"I-I-I'm fine. Don't you worry about me, aite?" I stuttered, but managed to flash them a fake smile.

"Anything you said Princess Alice." Megan said in a carefree tone.

They always call me 'Princess' because I have to be home before the midnight or else I'll be grounded by my uncle Luke. Uncle Luke was the only relative that I have had and the only one that I could go to when my mom and dad divorce. I don't want to things worse by choosing to my mom or dad to live with. I don't want to live with them at all. It hurts me that they faking to be happy in front of me for so long for my sake. I know they wanted me to be happy, but at least give me a sign before getting a divorce. He's not thinking of remarrying after his wife's death. It's been 10 years now, every year in the month of July, he'll visit her grave and sit there talking as she is still beside him. But he also visits sometime in the year to randomly say greetings to her. I think by that way he'll never forget about her. It is a tragic accident that causes my auntie's death. It's fate. It's written in the books of fate that they could only spend this much time together while my parents decided to walk away from each other.

"Alice? Hello, back to earth Alice." Megan starts snapping her fingers right in front of my face, which causes me to wake up from my thoughts.

"Oh-h, sorry. I need to meet someone new. So I'll just go first and we'll meet up later, okay?" I smiled and pack my stuff and walks out the class quickly. 

 

I spotted John in the middle of the hallway full with people. He was talking to Isaac, the captain of the football squad and other guys from the team. I called out for John and give him showing the sign that I'll meet him in front of the library. He gestures 'Okay' with his hands and I walk towards the library thinking how to start the conversation with him but nothing came up through my mind. 

"Hey there babe," said that with his husky voice, while throwing his arms around my waist.

" Missed me?" while kissing my neck and pulling me closer to him.

I need to overcome this. You have to say it to him. Move on, Alice!! He's cheating on you behind your back. Just say it now or you will regret it forever. Those thoughts were screaming inside my head for me to say it out loud to him.

"Stop it, John." While taking his arm off my waist and move a foot away from him, facing him.

"We need to stop this."

"What's wrong with you today? Nicole told me that you were late to class and was practically daydreaming in class. What happen to you nowadays?" He said with a slight anger in his voice. 

"It's just there's something bothering my mind these days. Something about us." I said softly.

"What do you possibly wanted to argue about with me now? You're such an attention seeker do you know that? I'm giving you all the attention that I have had never given to other girls before and this is what I get!" he said angrily. 

"I know you were cheating on me with other girls. Not just another girl but my best friend, Nicole." I said with an anger filled my chest. 

He froze. He didn't say anything. It was the truth. It was the truth all along and I'm avoiding it all this while.

"I-I didn't. I did not cheat with Nicole. I've always loved you and there'll be no on else for me except you." he assured me while gripping softly my arms. I shoved it right away.

"Why do you hide the truth when the truth is clearly right in front of us? Why do you say the opposite when the truth is the other way round? Why do you lie? Why do you make me believe that you loved me? There's no reason we should stay like where we are now. I just wanted to stop and face the truth. You've been cheating on me for 2 months now and the fact that I already knew it, I watch you lied to me on my face John!! That hurts like hell and I think it's better we end this before I started to believe in your lies again. Whatever we had before this, I wanted it to end. So goodbye John and say thank you to Nicole for me because she made me realize that you're not worthy every piece of my love."

Tears were forming in my eyes as I said those words to John. Then I turned around and walk away without looking back.

It's like someone has lifted up the burden on my shoulder that I'd never known were there before. It felt good and for the first time in my life, I'm not hiding the truth. My life will not be a tragedy just like Plato's quote said because I've had the strength to face the light which is the truth.

© 2014 Deena Zen


Author's Note

Deena Zen
What do you think of the story? Constructive criticism is welcome. =)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on July 25, 2014
Last Updated on July 25, 2014

Author

Deena Zen
Deena Zen

Cheras, Selangor, Malaysia



About
http://demurewriter.blogspot.com/ - Written thoughts and poems. more..

Writing
I Know I Know

A Poem by Deena Zen