ECT

ECT

A Story by Denise Galasso-Liedlich
"

Tales from Battle of a mental illness

"

I am sweating and uncomfortably warm. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. I try to take a deep breath and meditate. I pretend I am someone else in my body. One that is stronger than me and in the same situation. That way I don’t have to be me. I can’t do this. 

 

I look down at my arms. The scars from cutting are easily seen in this fluorescent lighting. The cigarette burns now look like tattoos twisted into different shapes. Why can’t they install warm blue tones so that I don’t have to feel like a patient? I think of all the things I said I’d do. I think about my failures. I am one big failure.

 

But today is a day for hope. After all the prescriptions that my system rejected this choice is mine and I pray that it is the very thing that will save me.

 

I can’t believe it’s gotten this bad. I can’t believe I’m going through with it. I did my research. I trust the doctors. It was my mom’s idea since the doctors working at her hospital have been advocating the procedure. Who would know that mom’s hospital would shut down the psychiatric ward that she worked on. I chose this and I believe it’s going to help me. 

 

I only have my underwear on under this thin gown. Normally I’d worry about how my fat is overflowing but I’ve lost thirty pounds in the past year from medicines that made me nauseous and deteriorated my appetite. I couldn’t eat for a whole day prior to the procedure so I don’t vomit from the anesthesia. I’m starving and I’ll never complain about my weight again. If I could I’d eat a whole pizza right now. Well I would if my stomach wasn’t so agitated. I feel dizzy. I’m sure that is making me feel nervous.

 

Post traumatic stress disorder can diminish brain cells and make you forget things. Now I’m going to erase it all. I’ll be fine if I never have to remember any of my history. It wasn’t memorable anyway. 

 

I’m being wheeled into surgery or should I say the assembly line. Beds are lined up on both sides of the room full of patients that have succumb themselves to this shared experience.

 

The nurse with the long blond hair opens my curtain. She takes my blood pressure. She has a great set of tits. I wonder if they are real. I wonder if I could be having a b**b operation instead of this. “Honey, your blood pressure is flying. It’s okay to be anxious.” She smiles and writes on the chart. She takes my hand. “And you’re so cold.” I find this funny as she wipes the sweat off my brow. “It’s called a cold sweat but we can work around it.”

 

I imagine a fire alarm going off or a bomb or anything that can stop this from happening. How the hell did I sign a paper giving permission for shock therapy? What the f**k? It’s too late to run out of here. The nurse reclines me all the way back so that I am staring at the ceiling. “The doctor will be right with you.” I’m at the mercy of this staff.

Dr. Frankenstein’s face is all that I can see. His voice is so soft, gentle and sympathetic. “Hi Denise. How are you feeling?” I feel like holy f*****g s**t. “I’m okay.” He looks straight into my eyes. “We’re going to start prepping you now. Do you have any questions.” Uh yeah, how can I get the hell out of here and how can I get the hell out of here and how can I get the hell out of here. I speak up about my fear of waking up in the middle of the electric shock therapy. “Please. I am afraid to wake up.” Every medical procedure that I have ever done I have woken in the middle of because of my body being the size that it is they tend to underdose me. He assures me that he has spoken to the anesthesiologist and promises to take care of me.

 

Belts are wrapped around my ankles. There is a blood pressure cuff placed on my right leg so that when the seizure begins, the doctor can see it is occurring. My arms are also held down. My left arm has an IV of nutrients, a paralytic and anesthesia. My heart is pounding in my throat. “You’ve got a pretty fast pulse going on Denise.” Again he assures me that all is well.

 

The anesthesiologist has coffee breath. He is cute though. He’s young and reminds me of Ryan on The Office. I’m sure he knows what he is doing. He asks me the same questions as the doctor. Do I have any questions? I answer again my fear of waking up during the ect. He assures me it won’t happen.

 

An oxygen mask is placed on my nose and mouth. Then little sticky electrodes are attached to my chest, my side, both my temples and one on the very top of my head. I’m connected to every monitor for one reason or another. I’m practically hyperventilating.

“Now Denise. Slow down your breath. I want you to slowly count to ten.” Latte Ryan counts with me. 10….9…8…7..I’m wondering why I am not asleep at 7! …6….

 

Quiet. I hear nothing but quiet. It is a silence so beautiful that I have never felt before. Wouldn’t you know it? It worked. The goddamn electric shock therapy worked! My mom was there and she was smiling. I turned to say “hi.” And then I felt a headache the size of Mt. Vernon. It felt like my head blew up. Things were clear but blurred at the same time. The nurse brought in a little can of ginger ale, crackers and two percosets. Well, that will put me in a good mood.

 

In no time I was back upstairs having dinner with the rest of my new mental patient friends. My mood was great. I was in great hope. I did something I was afraid of doing to better myself. And in just another day I will have one again.

 

Fibromayalgia is wide spread nerve pain, bi polar is a mood disorder; OCD can appear  in several forms from tics to hair pulling to outside sensory overload. So far I have no signs of any of the symptoms that I arrived with. Although my disassociation has gone away I still pretend I’m someone else inside.

 

Now I’m an expert. I am ready for my second ECT and it goes just fine. Number three went just fine as well.

 

LatteRyan isn’t here today. There is another anesthesiologist. I am concerned about bringing up the issue with not allowing me to wake up during the procedure but since it hasn’t happened I don’t worry about it too much.

 

“Count to ten Denise.”…1..2..3..4..5..6..7..I wake up gasping! I am unable to breathe. I open my eyes and can see my right foot shaking off the bed. My arms are fighting the straps that hold them down. I goddamn woke up during the seizure! My head is moving back and forth and I am dying for breath. I seriously can’t breathe and am choking. I can hear myself gasping for breath. My chest feels like it’s going to break in half. I can’t breathe. I try to get breath. It’s black but I’m definitely awake. I can feel my arm flopping like a fish....I can feel my foot shaking violently...I am gasping so loud. I wonder if anyone can hear me or if they know that I am awake. Even my head is jarring back and fourth. It continues and I can tell that about thirty seconds have lapsed but it feels like it been an hour. I find my breath but I’m in shock.

 

I got post traumatic stress disorder from my treatment for post traumatic stress disorder.

I eventually must have gone back to sleep because I wake up and everyone is gone. There are no nurses to give me my crackers and percoset. My curtain is open a little bit and I can see right across the room. My doctors places two electric looking things on each side of the patients head. I watch the patient go through what I was just experienced. His body is shaking and he too is gasping for breath. My doctor notices that I am watching and he pulls the curtain closed. I’m totally freaked out man.

 

Finally someone comes over to help me into recovery. I report what happened immediately. My doctor comes in and tells me that in the 30 years of his practice this has never happened before. Not only I but the patient that I saw also woke up. He had no explanation. He asked me what it felt like. “Pretty much like I was dying.”

 

For months I have nightmares and wake up unable to breath. I wake up in my bed thinking that I am still at the hospital.

 

We return to church and I do not recognize people that I have known for years. I forget everything. I can’t remember much of what was happening before I went into the hospital which again is a good thing. I stopped pulling my hair out. Even some of my pain has gone away.

 

All in all I think the ECT’s were successful for me although I did not get anymore after the fourth one. Sometimes I think it would be good for me but then I imagine what happened and I can’t do it.

 

The moral to this story is that I went ahead and did something that I was really afraid of and it sucked but I still got just a little bit better. The stay at the hospital in the psych ward was positive. I enjoyed the other patients and made friends. I learned tools to deal with my illness. Now if I could just remember where I put my pencil.

 

© 2014 Denise Galasso-Liedlich


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on July 10, 2014
Last Updated on July 10, 2014
Tags: bipolar, mental illness