Call from the Grave

Call from the Grave

A Story by Ice Wolf
"

A young girl is left home alone one night after her brothers death. She receives a mysterious phone call.

"

Eight year old Jadea Michelle lay in bed, left home by herself again while her parents went out to some party. She rested her head against the dark blue satiny pillow and pulled the tattered green cover over her head, tears streaming down her face. It had only been three days since her older brother had passed away and she still felt the sting of being all alone.

Rolling onto her side, Jadea began to listen to the sounds around her. She realized that it was storming outside. She curled up deeper under her covers, frantically searching for her teddy bear. Her blue eyes closed tight as she grasped the teddy’s little arm and dragged it to her chest. Her small arms clung to the teddy bear, holding it tight to her when the phone began to ring.

She whimpered in fear, but crawled out of bed to the room next to hers, the kitchen. For all she knew, it could be her parents calling. They did that sometimes. Calling to tell her to have something ready for them. She shakily answered the phone.

“H-hello?” she whimpered out. “Watkins r-residence. C-c-can I help you?”

“Calm down Jadea. Everything’s okay,” she heard from the phone.

Her eyes went wide and her face turned pale for a moment before she started sobbing again, recognizing the voice.

“C-connor. I m-m-miss you so much big brother. Why’d you have to die?”

The voice on the other end spoke calmly, soothingly. “I’m sorry li’l sis. If I could have stayed there with you I would have. I’m still with you where it counts though. I’ll always be in your heart Jadea. I love you. I want you to go and crawl back into bed now, okay? Curl up under the blankets. Everything will be better in the morning.”

Jadea’s eyes shimmered with tears. “This is the last time I’m going to hear your voice, isn’t it big brother?”

“Yes, li’l bit, it is. But I’ll still be with you. Okay?”

“’Tay. I miss you Conner. I love you.”

“You be good for me, okay? Don’t give mom and dad the same kind of trouble I gave them. Watch yourself.”

“I will,” she replied. “I’ll be a good girl and make you proud of me big brother. I promise.”

“I know you will. I never doubted that even for a second.”

“One more question big brother?”

A slight chuckle was heard on the other end of the phone. “Go ahead.”

“Does it hurt? Being dead I mean. And did you get your wings yet?”

“No. I don’t feel pain anymore. And I haven’t gained my wings yet, but I will soon. Now, off to bed. Good night Jadea Michelle.”

She giggled. “Good night big brother.”

Hanging up the phone, Jadea calmly went back to bed and curled up under her blankets. Her parents came home three hours later to find the young girl sound asleep with a smile on her face. Walking to the cemetery the next day, they found  that a phone line had been hit by lightning and was laying on the grave of their seventeen year old son. Jadea calmly stared at it, an understanding no other eight year old would have on their face as she smiled at the clouds, holding her teddy bear close. A calm wind passed around little Jadea as she whispered “I love you big brother.”

THE END

 

© 2008 Ice Wolf


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awww! That was such a sad, but cute story! I loved it! Everything, it was just beautiful and heartwarming and I really enjoyed it ^-^ *hug* There are a few paragraph problems you may want to work out there, but should be easy to resolve. Anyways, great story, keep it up!

♥ Sherrice

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 21, 2008

Author

Ice Wolf
Ice Wolf

Eldred, PA