Diabetes

Diabetes

A Poem by Jessica Elaine Stevens [Faiteach]
"

Suicide happens a lot of different ways.

"
To save your life they tried to take your foot the hole in the sole of your heel refused to heal over as you walked on it Proud Father, thou art i watched you waste defeated by microbials which ate at your bones and swelled your flesh with disease... the sugar in your veins your heart-pumping syrup fed, rich and fat, the plague which gnawed you but could not help you mend. in a house of spiders you would shuffle, leaving flakes of skin- which we would find, tucked away in the midst of a spider's web to be eaten at their leisure- as your epidermis dissolved, chewed upon by tiny teeth the men in white coats declared you a Near Dead Man defeated by the flesh of your foot they warned, the sweets would be the finish of you a cold, bitter man, you'd eaten enough sugar to candy such vital organs- caramel liver on a stick, or jellied lung- if you ate another lemon drop, they said you would grow sickly, and lose another limb to willful, necrotizing faciitis- you'd eaten your way to sickness. now whenever i enter your private chambers i search the corners for stashes of such poisons as would weaken your enamels and slow the flow of your bloodstream you always put the sugar-free on top but i know you keep arsenic under your cushions an old, pins-and-needles man, your blood is so thick, your fingers and arms have gone numb you can't even feel me in them. i am only a Daughter i cannot take the deadly stuff from your mouth not while you are still virile enough to fight but too senile to know better- Daddy, you are too young to die.

© 2010 Jessica Elaine Stevens [Faiteach]


Author's Note

Jessica Elaine Stevens [Faiteach]
A common affliction of those with diabetes is the diabetic foot ulcer. Their blood is too thick with unprocessed sugar to get to their extremities and an open wound becomes a haven for such deadly bacteria as necrotizing fasciitis. Which is how we discovered my dad had Type 2. Google it, I dare you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this was remarkable! Honestly, I have quite an ignorance when it comes to diabetes and sicknesses in general. This was beautiful. A beautiful way of handling an extremely ugly situation. You had here, an amazing amount of powerful lines and I couldn't stop reading.

I even read it twice, just to see if I missed anything.

Great job! I really loved this piece. Now...off to your other poems! : )

Posted 13 Years Ago


moving stuff. this is a hard topic to deal with. you handled it very nicely, very beautifully.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this is wow. It's sad, but beautiful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is so powerful... a stunning write filled with emotion, the pain of seeing one you love being lost to the effects of diabetes. Had a dear neighbor who lost his foot... eventually had to be put in a care facility. Your writing is so vivid.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

259 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2010
Last Updated on May 11, 2010

Author

Jessica Elaine Stevens [Faiteach]
Jessica Elaine Stevens [Faiteach]

Worcester, MA



About
I was someone else before. I can't remember who. more..

Writing