Every Child deserves a CHAMPION in the TABLET generation !

Every Child deserves a CHAMPION in the TABLET generation !

A Story by Dheeraj Mehrotra
"

Every Child deserves a CHAMPION in the TABLET generation ! This is a learning scenario globally with a great expectation by kids at schools by Dr. Dheeraj Mehrotra

"

Every Child deserves a CHAMPION in the TABLET generation !

Dr. Dheeraj Mehrotra*

(National Awardee)

 

The TAB craze is on with the expected audience increasing each day. The vocabulary of demand is rising of day with the expectations being dwelled by the top companies. The desire to learn the by KIDS explore more towards online games but alas the ideology to be perfect and shining.

The current generation of kindergartners to 12th graders those born from 1991 to 2004 has no memory of a time before Google, says Sara Scribner, a researcher. But although these students are far more tech savvy than their parents and are perpetually connected to the Internet, they know a lot less than they think. In a time when information literacy is increasingly crucial to life and work, not teaching kids how to search for information is like sending them out into the world without knowing how to read. The teachers need to dwell to this scenario with pace and tactfulness in order to be of time and standards towards 21st century learning environments. We need professionals to advocate for teaching information literacy from an early age. As the students are made to learn through plugging is the way to listen the song. Much of the time they opt for Google, which is like being tossed into the ocean without a paddle. An info-literate student can find the right bit of information amid the sea of irrelevance and misinformation but this is not common all the time. Above all, closing libraries for the Google generation, which in any case is happening now in our country, a big way, could be disastrous. In a time when information literacy is increasingly crucial to life and work, not teaching kids how to search for information is like sending them out into the world without knowing how to read.

The truth of the matter is that, Students are closer to the Technology than we are, especially the Hand Held Devices or the Ubiquitous resources as their comprehension of these resources is exponentially, which you will discover only as you get close to them. It is possible that by the year 2020, no student would have to go to school or college. The entire curriculum might be available on the cloud, which students might be able to access from the comfort of their home or even the playground. We expect broadband connectivity to become widely available by 2020. Earlier we had been thinking that a vast digital library of all the lectures will get developed, but now library is the not the point. Just about every bit of knowledge that we have developed could become available in the cloud.


However, every country of the world has to deliberately formulate their e-policy and redesign their Curriculum to incorporate the use of Technology. The format of presentation has to be redesigned as the whole thing gears towards the new paradigm shift. Yes, the Students have to learn the Technology, so that they can learn through the Technology and learn with the Technology.

 

GG the Google Generation is bound to betray the YOUTH of today.  As out of conclusion, for today's youngsters, tedious rote learning is pointless because such basic facts are only a mouse click away via Google, Wikipedia and online libraries, a better approach would be to teach children to think creatively so they could learn to interpret and apply the knowledge available online.

The demand for tablets in schools over the months has been on the cards. With the fact that the Tablets offer enhanced ebooks feature with images, video and audio, the learning is faster and innovative. It is a wonderful replacement for the existing books with the fact that it allows the students to highlight text, take notes in the margin and access a dictionary directly within the book itself but the fact lies that how far they take it seriously. My doubt about the probability of their minimized windows of FB and CHAT buttons with their mates globally. It is just not possible for the teachers to have a check on the online reputation and updates of the children in parallel.

The researchers say that because they have become so accustomed to using electronic devices, the students are increasingly expecting to use them in classrooms. According to a new Nielsen survey, 35% of tablet owners said they used their desktop computers less often or not at all now, and 32% of laptop users said the same. Most tellingly, more than 75% of tablet owners said they used their tablet for tasks they once used their desktop or laptop for. While tablets can’t totally match laptops in terms of functionally (yet), they can get today’s students most of the way there. Also above all, In a national survey, teachers say they believe that using digital games in the classroom helps students maintain concentration and enthusiasm for learning, while making it easier for teachers to differentiate instruction and assess students.

The survey of 505 teachers who use digital games in their K-8 classrooms aims to identify what teachers think about game-based learning and how digital games affect students beyond academic achievement. It offers a mix of qualitative interviews with quantitative data to offer a more rounded picture of teacher opinions.

 

If your kids are like mine, they are already comfortable using Google Apps in the elementary, middle, high school and college levels, just as they have become accustomed to doing Google searches for their homework assignments. Where is the learning here. The teacher’s role is that of a facilitator or just a computer operator in the classroom but of any information giver. The touch of the key makes them perfect of knowledge and the desired degree, where is the role of the teachers reflect here. Above all, as Facilitators, we must be upto date in our padagogical approaches. But most importantly, we must move towards Andragogy, enabling the students to assume responsibility for their learning.

It is ever so easy to get mired in unhelpful dichotomies: we must use tablets or no tablets at all. In my view, it’s not a question of either/or but rather as well as. Surely if teachers and students are comfortable using this technology, why not let them develop good practice in which tablets are used… as well as… other, more traditional methods?

 

 

Vice President (Academics & Audits)

Next Education India Pvt. Ltd. Hyderabad

www.nexteducation.in

[email protected]

 

© 2013 Dheeraj Mehrotra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on October 3, 2013
Last Updated on October 3, 2013
Tags: Quality Learning, Smart Children

Author

Dheeraj Mehrotra
Dheeraj Mehrotra

New Delhi, North, India



About
Author, Innovator (Six Sigma In Education), Teacher, Trainer, National Awardee via www.dheerajmehrotra.com more..

Writing