10 Great Apps to Kick-Start Your Writing

10 Great Apps to Kick-Start Your Writing

A Story by Dianna Labrien
"

Best apps I use for writing. What are yours? :)

"

As writers, maintaining a high level of creativity in our work can be a challenge. We all struggle with writer's block and a tendency to become boring and repetitive with the words that we write. Fortunately there are several apps and other technology based resources that can help us become better, more creative writers. Below are ten examples of some excellent writers' tools.

 

1. bubbl.us

 

Many writers find that they are most successful if they use brainstorming and plot mapping to help them create a storyline. This app is a great tool for doing just that!

 

2. Write 2 Lite

 

Every writer has experienced this. An idea for a great story, character, or scene pops into their head. They scramble to find a pen and piece of paper in order to jot down this new, exciting idea. Then, just as they find something to write with, the idea disappears.  How frustrating! This mobile app will ensure that this never happens again!

 

3. Open Office

 

Open office is a free, open-source, software suite that is available for download on the internet. It includes a word processor that matches or exceeds the features of MS Word along with a spreadsheet utility, and other tools found in similar suites. Because it is open source, there are many wizards and templates that have been created by members of the writing community to help other writers become more successful.

 

4. Hemingway

 

Hemingway is an excellent online writer's utility. Writers who find themselves guilty of using the passive voice too often, who repeat phrases over and over again, and who tend to write sentences that are difficult to decipher should consider giving this utility a try. It will point out these issues and make suggestions for improvement �" sort of like your own personal editor of sorts!

 

5. Trust Essays

 

This is an excellent resource for the writer who is truly stuck and facing a deadline. This is a paid writing service that provides excellent content at reasonable prices. This resource features both academic and non-academic content writing and editing.

 

6. Diaro

 

The best writing comes from personal experience, and good writers know that documenting their experiences as soon as they occur is extraordinarily important. Diaro provides the means by which to do this. Use this tool for journaling, organizing notes, even for including pictures.

 

7. NaNoWriMo

 

While this isn't technically an App, it deserves inclusion. This is a supportive community of writers with a goal of helping each other become first time writers. Writers who register at NaNoWriMo can submit their work for feedback, assist other writers, and find fellow authors in their own locales. Membership is free.

 

8. Pen.IO

 

This is a simple utility that allows the writer to publish his/her work nearly instantaneously �" for free! This app requires no registration.

 

9. Writer

 

This Google app is a great resource for any writer. It is a “bare-bones” utility that allows writers to simply create without all of the 'feedback' that is often received from standard word processors. This simple interface is a great way to take notes or just put words onto 'paper'. The spelling and grammar checks can come later �" right now you just need to get your ideas and thoughts onto “paper.”

 

10. FastPencil

 

Anyone with the interest and ambition it takes to write a book should consider FastPencil. FastPencil is free online software that assists would-be authors in writing any type of book one can imagine. It is suitable for solo projects or collaboration among collaborative writers. Writing, e-publishing, and marketing all in one package!

 

 

What are your favorite apps and websites? 

 

© 2014 Dianna Labrien


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on December 23, 2014
Last Updated on December 23, 2014
Tags: writing, apps, creativity

Author

Dianna Labrien
Dianna Labrien

About
Aspirating essayist, educational blogger and traveler at heart. more..

Writing
Light Light

A Poem by Dianna Labrien