Present Tense

Present Tense

A Story by dilettante1890
"

A journal entry.

"

I have difficulty being present. My mind is like a ball of mercury & runs in several different directions swallowing everything around it. I look outside myself for anchors--words, poetry, music. Connections that can at times be tenuous.




Radio static. Listening to Bjork and imagining the appetites of Icelandic volcanoes, wondering at the memories of oceans, the stories that rocks tell.




I enjoy solitary winter walks--nodding at the bare trees, gnarled limbs. I have the strange idea that trees were once people. I think of closed doors and ornate hallways. I feel set adrift & it is hard to remember what shore I departed from pockets full of stars, sad heart & all. I could come pouring out of my skin suddenly. And wouldn't it be a marvel that I was ever here?


A melancholy mood needs raucous punk rock, a sort of defiant dismissiveness that banishes ghosts & makes company for thunder. Something that puts me in my mind of another time---idealistic yearnings sharing the same bed with a healthy cynicism. F**k all the values that left me on the fringe. Hotel Chelsea time. I'd love to stay there and just write, no more odd then anyone else who may one day implode or become immortal.

© 2008 dilettante1890


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
DF
Thanks for letting us peek into your mind!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Added on December 26, 2008

Author

dilettante1890
dilettante1890

About
As it is written... Try as I might to escape the cold reality of it---I am a writer. It is what I do best. It may not be what I do to earn a living, (though that is ultimately my goal) but it is wha.. more..

Writing