The Luminosity of Death

The Luminosity of Death

A Poem by Audrey Howitt
"

A poem about death

"

Blue tendrils of spirit

Wrap gently around the yellow heat of the heart,

Cradling it, convincing it to surrender.

Purple knowingness clouds over fear,

Blanketing and warming the eye of the soul.

The pearlescent pink of purest love

Ceases not its silvered out-pouring into the soul of the beloved,

And buoyed upon opalescent tears, opaque and glistening,

Suffused, the heart shivers in tenderness,

As light shimmers and surrounds and moves through,

Replacing the old light of my eyes.

 

Sorrowful eyes to lose both the beloved

And the numinous eye of god.

© 2011 Audrey Howitt


Author's Note

Audrey Howitt
Can you let me know if the ending works

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this reads so softly with such a calmness about it...I thought this was superbly written...

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yes, oh yes, it does .. especially having the space before the final two lines.. it's like a pause of light shining through a prayer. Your words have the inevitable awareness of and sensitivity to everything around this moment, mind alert - nothing to be missed, eyes moving here to there then back again.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It more than works, it shines! My only question would be if you should capitalize the G in God in the last line. Truly divine work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice mixing of color and feeling. The ending seems to work for me.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ooh yellow heat of the heart. Great phrase.
I like the colors in this, it really works for me. The imagery here is fantastic and it makes the poem flow in the most beautiful way.
And yes, the ending definitely works!

Posted 13 Years Ago


You turn something frightening into something serene and mystical. Eye-catching but still a bit eerie.

Posted 13 Years Ago


To lose both the light of life and the light of Spirit in the beloved's eyes in consecutive moments...oh, the ending most certainly works, Audrey.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Everything works, Audrey. So magnificently alluring is your portrait of death, that I'm considering offing myself, right now. But then, there is that unfinished Bucket List. Oh, I don't know!--I am conflicted.
Not confused about your poem, though--stunningly good!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like it very much; and the ending works beautifuly just the way it is. The tenderness and hope is evident and oh so lovely! I really enjoyed this one Audry! Something awsome moves through these words of yours, and they touch my heart; I look forward to more of your creations.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

323 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 30, 2011
Last Updated on April 30, 2011

Author

Audrey Howitt
Audrey Howitt

Alameda, CA



About
I am so happy to be writing! I was an attorney in my previous incarnation. These days, I teach voice mostly, write some and do a little psychotherapy. It seems like a good combination for me. I h.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Crossing Crossing

A Poem by Robin