If I Could

If I Could

A Poem by Audrey Howitt

If I could, I would make the world easier for you.

I would harness its violence and tame its hatred.

I would ask the face of compassion to shine on you always.

I would hold the flame of love high for you to see and always feel it.

 

My dream for you

 

If I could, I would have others cherish your dreams, 

So they would never flit away unnoticed into the abyss of apathy.

I would hold your heart fast to my feet to always feel your life pass along next to mine

I would strew the stars to light your way.

 

If I could, I would have you know me before I die.

I would open myself to you that you might see the secret places of my heart,

And touch the heat of my soul as you pass through  this life.

I would wrap you within me for a moment, or two, or three.

 

You are my child. For you, I could.

 

 

© 2011 Audrey Howitt


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is so well written and so natural in its emotion, it feels inspired. sure, all writing is inspired in one way or another, but some writing is just given to us and we write it down. i hope you understand what i'm babbling about. anyway, i loved this. it has elements that remind me of an old irish blessing...'may the road rise up to meet you....". you express your dreams and wishes beautifully here. great work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


My Dear Writing Friend,
As I sat before my fire reading your poem my thoughts floated all around me much like my pipes smoke as it hovered in the room. I felt the tenderness of you love for a child and was saddened in my own soul. The line “If I could, I would have you know me before I die”, struck a saddened cord deep in my pneuma, as I try not too think of my children as the pain of their loss sears even after all these years.
I hope to some day to know my children, I wonder what do they look like. If I could grant them a wish it would be your word mosaic, as it is beautiful and richly vibrant in color all flowing from love.
I am sorry it took me so long to post this musing on your work but I have been away in the Bush.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear


Posted 12 Years Ago


I read it as a love poem to an adult and it reminded me of the love poetry of Robert Burns. E.g. 'O wert thou in the cauld blast . . . However, after the last line, I re-read it and you did provide the reader with some clues; but, it still works for an adult.
Good stuff.
ATB
Alex.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is a beautiful write I could really feel the emotions that came from this write great work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautifully written and very heartfelt. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 6, 2011
Last Updated on September 6, 2011

Author

Audrey Howitt
Audrey Howitt

Alameda, CA



About
I am so happy to be writing! I was an attorney in my previous incarnation. These days, I teach voice mostly, write some and do a little psychotherapy. It seems like a good combination for me. I h.. more..

Writing