Blood Shadow: Wrath of Flames

Blood Shadow: Wrath of Flames

A Story by Damien J. Dennis
"

The Final part of the three-part short story. Written in 2007.

"

As Jakob followed the Blood Shadow demon through the barren plains of the Abyss, he could not help but wonder whether this creature of darkness could be trusted or not.  Why would this beast need my help, he thought.  His head was aching due to this odd event.  First he was told by an old mage that an enemy was approaching that would ultimately stop his idea of global conquest.  That enemy came, and was defeated but in the end transported him to the depths of the Underworld.  And now the same creature wanted his help to defeat an even bigger threat, the God of the Abyss himself.  Ludacris, he thought.

 

The duo moved with haste through the realm toward the spiraled black staircase leading up to Hell above. Jakob wondered what dangers awaited him there.  He knew, from what Blood had told him, that he was invincible in the Abyss, but in the upper realm he was vulnerable.  He's going to betray me as soon as we reach the top of those stairs.  I just know it, he thought while retrieving his sword from it's place in the seathe at his side.

 

They reached the staircase sooner than he had thought.  "There is no telling what dangers await you when we are in the upper level.  Be prepared," the demon said.

 

"Dangers trhat await me?  What do you mean by that, Blood Shadow?"  Jakob asked, gripping the hilt of his sword tightly.

 

"Well, I cannot be killed there without the Stone, whereas you can.  Then you shall be trapped in hell for all eternity.  If that suits you better, then run as a fool would through the fires!" the beast roared loudly.  Jakob grinned evily and nodded.  They began climbing the stairs into hell.  The climb was long, but easy.  As they reached the platform at the top, a swift wave of extreme heat hit Jakob in such a way that he felt as if he were to collapse.  The heat seemed to boil his blood, literally.  Blood Shadow turned to face him.  At first he was confused, but as he looked away he realized why.  The duo stood at the top of the stairs, which were completely surrounded by the Lake of Fire itself.  The flames flew into the sky in a torrent of rage.  they seemed like geysers.  Blood tilted his large, dragon like head.  He could cross this without any problem but he knew Jakob could not.

 

"These flames contain a Wrath as if they were living beings.  If we stay here, they will consume you, soul and all.  But there is no way across," the demons deep voice said, as he peaked back at Jakob.

 

Jakob struggled to look out at the Lake.  He noticed small tiles drifting alond its surface.  They seemed to be unaffected by the flames, but were big enough for one of them to stand on and cross.  He pointed out to them and said, "Those tiles, Blood.  Could-" He coughed.  "They help us?"

 

Blood Shadow looked out to see them.  His small blood filled eyes widened.  "Your an intelligent one!" he said sarcastically.  He doubted these tiles could do the job Jakob thought, but he had no real other choice.  As two tiles floated closely to the platform they stood upon, Blood reached out and grabbed both.  He pulled them to the side and smiled.  "Time for us to risk your Eternal Damnation for you survival!"  He helped jakob up and tossed him onto the tile.  He then pushed it quickly into the Lake.  He stood upon his and did the same.  They were off, traversing through the Lake of Fire in a fast pace, risking everything.

 

Flames shot into the dark air, nearly tipping over Jakobs tile.  He fought to keep his balance, feeling as if death were slowly overcoming his soul.  A geyser of fire sprouted to his right, pushing him to the side.  he had almost collided with Blood, but they missed collision by a split second.  Jakob began drifting to the west side of the lake, which was the opposite way they were heading.  Blood tried yelling for him to turn, but he collapsed on his tile.  He was weak.

 

From under him, a pillar of flame sprouted up, lifting Jakob into the air.  The flames wrapped around the tile, but the force was so great that it sent Jakob flying into the air.

 

As he plummeted towards the Lake, he blacked out....

 

Blood raced to catch Jakob, but as he was nearing the man a spiraling torment of flame took Jakob and threw him to the shore line.  Blood raced to the spot.  He leaped off the tile and landed near his partner.  He placed his large, shadow black hand over Jakobs chest and grabbed him.  He pulled him far away from the lake into a nearby cavern.  he felt his heart still beating, slowly but it indicated he was still alive.  Blood would await for Jakob to awaken...

© 2011 Damien J. Dennis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on June 26, 2011
Last Updated on June 26, 2011

Author

Damien J. Dennis
Damien J. Dennis

Rochester, MI



About
I am a Journalism major at Oakland University as a senior undergraduate. I work currently as an intern for the college newspaper, The Oakland Post. I am currently writing a massive fantasy novel(s) t.. more..

Writing