Memoirs Of Desolation

Memoirs Of Desolation

A Story by James Martin

I drift. My mind is making a solitarily journey from love to loss. Navigating the haze of my existence as I sink beneath the emotions that once put wind in my sails. I inhale. The air is cold and dry, burning my throat with the bitter taste, my heart only knows to well. I have come to terms with my habitual emptiness, yet I clutch at straws for any last fray of emotion. I would rather feel pain than nothing at all. At least with pain, I will not be empty.

 

I am encased by the darkness, as I sit alone, my back resting heavily on the brittle wall. I notice every detail of my body’s movement, but yet struggle to fathom the beating of my lonely heart. Every pulse comes with a burden of great remorse; as if I have stolen it from the one I loved. My eyes swim, as a singular tear travels down my cheek, finding itself lost in the thick fabric of my dressing gown; these are not tears of sadness but oh how I wish they where. These are cries of emptiness, the dregs in the bottom of my bottle of emotion, tipped upside down so not to waste the slightest drop.

 

I push my hand forcefully through the long knotted hair that sits atop my head. I haven’t slept in what feels like years; I can’t sleep, no matter how hard I try. But despite this sleep seems like the only way out, that or death and neither are within the grasp of my feeble mind. And so I must sit here, wait here and live here until I can rid myself from this cycle of desolation, my heart continues to beat but I don’t even know if I’m alive anymore.

© 2014 James Martin


Author's Note

James Martin
I'm thinking of writing a short story about the trials of a fragile man following the death of his girlfriend. Here is the intro, what do you think? Should I carry on?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on February 1, 2014
Last Updated on February 1, 2014
Tags: Death, Grieve, Dark, Intro, Sad

Author

James Martin
James Martin

London, United Kingdom



About
Hey. I'm 15, young, naive and bit eccentric. Here are my words. Read them. ( more..