We Were Scared

We Were Scared

A Story by Elliot Truman
"

Conservative views on a Liberal America

"
We were scared. We were scared when the first African-American was elected president. A democrat, a liberal, a pioneer. You called us racist for being scared; you called us sexists and bigots and fools. What would become of our country? So many unknowns. Things were going to change; for the worse, in our eyes. We did not riot, loot, and pillage our own country. We watched helplessly as police officers were shot, and violence spread and schools were the targets of domestic terrorists.
Now you are scared. You are scared that America has elected a white man president. We are still called sexists, racists, bigots. What would become of our country now, you wonder as you leave school in protest. As you riot in the streets. As you burn the American Flag because you can't make America a gun-free country and one big safe zone because words hurt. 
You are scared your right to same sex marriage will be swept away. You are scared your neighbor will be sent back to Mexico, Canada, Africa. You are scared it will be said "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays". You cry out in protest. You block highways and sidewalks with signs. You criticize and generalize and yet in the end, we all live in the best country on Earth. 

© 2016 Elliot Truman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't get racism..........

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
1 Review
Added on November 19, 2016
Last Updated on November 19, 2016

Author

Elliot Truman
Elliot Truman

Boston, MA



Writing
Fire Fire

A Story by Elliot Truman