The Fallen: Chapter One

The Fallen: Chapter One

A Story by Colton Patterson
"

Dark secrets unfold as J and Annie are forced to help a girl caught up in the middle of perilous battle.

"
The Fallen

A scream echoed throughout the neighborhood, blood-curdling and teeming with the sound of pain. He didn't mind the screams anymore, since they started happening so often. Preparing himself he slowly walked to the back of the school, following where the noise had come from. He drew his sword from his belt and prepared himself for whatever awaited him on the other side. He rounded the corner and was greeted with blood, everywhere. It didn't matter how many times he saw the exact same scenario, he couldn't help but be amazed by the amount of blood that could come from a human. It covered the grass stretching several meters into the field as well as on too the schools wall, dripping slowly off of it. The splash radius led his eyes to a Fallen One, like something out of a nightmare, holding a teenage girl in its jaws, her corpse all but ripped from her center.

He always found it peculiar how the black creatures always looked so similar to each other, but had such subtle differences , this one in particular looked stranger than the others. It had talon-like feet and completely white diamond-shaped eyes, it stood like a monster out of a video game, constantly shifting it's form.

  “Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter, does it?” He said loudly, to draw the creatures attention.
It tensed up at the sound of his voice and dropped the girl on to the ground. He readied his sword only to be distracted by the groan that came from the girl upon impact. She was alive.

 “Looks like we won't have time to play around.” He yelled at the creature, trying to distract it further.
The creature jumped at him, spinning its massive claws to try and knock him off-balance. He jumped back, avoiding the spinning attack only to be kicked from behind, causing a burning sensation on his back. He landed with a roll a couple meters away from the girl. Getting up, he ran in a semicircle around the creature, heaving his sword up to strike at the weak stomach of the black creature.      The blow landed successfully, causing the creature to recoil in pain. It let out a loud wail and collapsed, shaking on the ground, slowly dissolving into black paper-like particles, that floated off slowly, disappearing into the night sky.

He stood for a while, catching his breath only to remember about the girl, who by some miracle was still alive. Despite the amount of blood she had lost she was still breathing, albeit raggedly. He looked into her eyelids to see the light from them slowly glazing over as she clung on too her life. From his pocket he took out a small book filled with four vials of dark red liquid, and poured them all into her mouth, tilting her head back to let her swallow them.

A huge light blue light emanated out of her, blinding him momentarily and lighting up the surroundings, bathing them coldly. He had used more than usual of the demons blood due to the extent of her wounds causing the side-effect of it to grow exponentially. Slowly the light died down allowing him to see the wounds on the girl closing and healing, he watched her until her breathing returned to normal.

 “Hey, wake up, what's your name?” He said, shaking her until her eyes fluttered open momentarily.

It was no use, the extra dose of demons blood must have caused her to enter a trance while it helped heal her wounds. Sirens sounded in the distance, no doubt called by someone who had seen the blue light. He had to get out of there fast he thought to himself.

 “You don't plan on just leaving her here do you? She'll wake up with all those horrible memories of the creature, plus her boyfriends dead.” A female voice sounded from behind him.

He stood up and turned around to see the face of the girl behind him, Annie, who had been his partner for the past few months. She was just a little bit shorter than him, with black hair, and the body and posture of a model.

 “If you care so much why don't you take her?” He mocked.

Annie pursed her lips and looked up, seemingly considering it until she sighed and shook her head.

 “Fine, but only until she's back on her feet, besides I was getting lonely with only you to talk to.” She said.

He picked up the girl and swung her over his shoulder, the sirens grew louder as they approached them.

 “Which way is it to your place?” He asked, grunting as he stood up.
 “Do I really have to tell you?” She groaned.

 “Unless you wanna be arrested because you can't run and carry her, yeah I suppose you do, just get over it. It's not like I'm going to start showing up there unannounced.” He said, getting impatient.
Annie sighed and started running across the field, sprinting faster than any human could hope to achieve, a perk of being a Participant was the ability to increase a humans normal physical traits tenfold.                                       Despite her boorish attitude, he had actually grown extremely fond of her and didn't think anyone would have been a better fit as a partner. After he had started running full speed the girl behind him had been slowly gaining consciousness. Her eyes fluttered open and stayed half-open, her eyes dull and tired.

 “You're finally awake? Good, what's your name?” He asked.

 “Where am I?” She groaned.

Looking around he realized he didn't actually quite know where they were, himself, besides the fact that they had gone west, he had never been this far. They were in a forest, that much was obvious, a public park seemed the most likely but something seemed off, all the trees and wildlife seemed too disorderly for it to have been properly maintained.

 “You're safe, but what's your name? That's important.” He asked the girl.

She furrowed her brow, as if deep in thought at the simple question, she suddenly winced in pain.

 “Well, what is it, what's your name?” He said with growing concern.

 “I...I don't know. I don't remember.” She whimpered, looking up at him with a troubled look in her eyes.

© 2015 Colton Patterson


Author's Note

Colton Patterson
While I very much appreciate compliments and praise, I would much rather hear critique and flaws with my writing; that's how people grow.

Please respect me as you'd like to be respected.

Thank you very much for reading, feel free to message me with question or errors in the text.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
Added on January 4, 2015
Last Updated on January 5, 2015
Tags: fantasy, action, violence, cool, fiction, the, fallen, colton, patterson, novel, chapter, one, participators, annie, J, Elizabeth

Author

Colton Patterson
Colton Patterson

Calgary, Alberta, Canada



About
Hello, I've been writing since junior high and would really appreciate any criticism you might have to offer. I hope we can all be good friends. Thanks, Colton. more..

Writing