The Tired River

The Tired River

A Story by DevinPerkins
"

Part I of "The Isles of the Orphans."

"

 He stared at the flowing river. Although flowing probably isn't the best word for it. It was going rather slow, as if the river were as tired as he was. At least it's clear, he thought to himself. The fish in the river were small, as was the river itself. 

       As tired as his body was, it was only tired due from his mind and heart being over-worked. Running miles every second, his thoughts. Going around and around constantly and persistently. And he was set in an ideology that they wouldn't stop. At least not anytime soon. And they didn't. Not for a long time.

       These fish are my thoughts, and this river my body. He said to himself, perhaps this is the place I belong. The place of a beautiful end, one which everyone dreams of. It is rather comfortable. He propped himself up higher against the maple tree he'd been sitting up against for the past few hours. And when my time is even nearer, I may even go out and swim in this river.

       But of course, before that comes to past, I must undergo that. They will leave me together. They will be sympathetic. And I'm sure they'll both love me to some small extent. But I'll be here at this river watching my thoughts swim along and along. Will I be able to handle such an happenstance? Probably not. But that's why this river is here. It is my comfort.

       Slowly he rose away from that tree, standing upon his two legs which were stiffer than they'd ever been before. He walked to the river and bent down to touch it when he had reached it. I've never felt a warmer river in my life during this time of year. He held his hand in the water completely submerged. He didn't move it for quite some time. 

       After about ten minutes of keeping his hand there, a small fish came up to his hand and nibbled on it thinking that it was food. After a few seconds when the hungry and displeased fish swam away, he rose to stand tall once more. He turned and looked at the tree and waved, not once thinking it would ever wave back. And it didn't. 

       He took his leave back home, which was only a couple miles out. He'd be there in time see the sun set, with some extra time in between his arrival and the sun setting. His plan was to show gratefulness to them. Before it all happens, he thought to himself.

© 2013 DevinPerkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on January 25, 2013
Last Updated on January 25, 2013
Tags: river, tired, orphans

Author

DevinPerkins
DevinPerkins

Rochester, NH



About
The last time I wrote in this I said that I was 17 years old. Which was true, but now I'm 20 years old. I had also said I didn't plan on publishing my music what so ever. Now if you Google "Professor .. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5