The Soul Return

The Soul Return

A Story by courtney
"

a research paper on ghost check it out

"

 

      What if the world everyone thought he or she knew turned out to be the complete opposite? What if there were other paranormal beings out there? Everyone has experience something in his or her lifetime that he or she could not quite explain. Sure, some have turned to science or the medical field to try to account for the hearing of voices or a chair randomly flinging across the room. What if these experiences were something more? What if it was the ghost, the soul, of a person who did not pass on when they died? If so, why would that soul stay to this world? A ghost is not a imprint of the past or an untimely demise, but simply the soul of a person who has either stayed behind due to unfinished business, was attached to a certain place, or refused to move on with out a certain loved one.

       There are different types of ghost. Meier said, “While some ghost talk to people, others take no notice of the living” (21). Some ghosts want to be interactive with those whom surround it. Other ghosts however are seen but never heard. One minute the ghost would be their then the next it would have completely vanished. Some believe that these solitary souls are just left over-energy that replays history (Hawkskins1). If this was so then how can one explain the interactive ghosts who have conversations with the living? Whether the ghost is interactive or not there has to be a reason why they stay on this plane of existence.

       The spirit of one who died may have many reasons to stay to this world. Hoskins said, “They might have unfinished business with a loved one, friend or even business partner” (1). This unfinished business could involve the ghost simply telling him or her that the ghost loves them one last time. On the other hand, a ghost could stay to this world because they have always wanted something they could not quite grasp.

        For example, McConnell in 1918 had plans with two of his friends after he transported a plane to field in Tadcaster. Unfortunately, McConnell never made it back for the plans he had made. He died from a plane crash at 3:25 p.m. At about the exact same time Lieutenant Larkin, McConnell’s friend, had a conversation with someone or something he thought to be McConnell. The ghost told Larkin that he made it to Tadcaster and back without a problem (Cohen 17-21). McConnell’s unfinished business was the mission he set out to do before he died. Others say that Larkin could have lied about seeing McConnell’s ghost to get attention and therefore McConnell did not have any unfinished business at all (Cohen 17-21). However, why would larkin lie about this encounter when most people would have thought him insane? McConnell’s mission was to transfer a plane and return; even though he died before he completed his mission McConnell’s spirit helped him accomplish it.

        If a ghost does not have any unfinished business then why are they here? Some ghost stay to this world because they are attached to or as some people think left an imprint on a certain place. “ Some ghost can be attached to a house they lived in, an object that they held so dearly to them while alive, or have some anger or sorrow that they took with them when they died”, Says Hoskins(1). The soul whom passed on did not quite want to leave when he or she died.

        The story of Cedar Grove and John Klein showed how a ghost could attach itself to a certain place. In the 1840’s John Klein and his wife Elizabeth let the union take use of their house on the condition that their beloved home would be spared from the wreckage of the civil war. The Klein’s loved their home so badly that they became traitors to Vicksburg. Now it is said the families still haunt Cedar Grove do to a curse put on them for their traitorous behavior (Hubbard 52-56). The family was so attached to the house they continued to somewhat still live there after death. Others might say the story of Cedar Grove affects a persons mind causing him or her to believe they are hearing, smelling or seeing something that was never there to begin with. Many believe that what they smelled and so on was just and imprint of the past happenings within the house. However, this does not explain the person who, have visited Cedar Grove without any knowledge of the houses’ background and still heard, smelled, and saw the same things that have been reported.

       There are still many other reasons souls refuse to move on such as a love from his or her past life and perhaps a premature death. According to Ghost Psyches, “The Jealous Ghost: Though exceedingly rare, there are accounts of ghostly entities attaching themselves not to things, but to people, and interjecting themselves into earthly relationships usually out of some misguided notion of possessiveness or out right jealousy” (3). The jealous ghost attaches to this person so completely it refuses to move on without his or her loved one, or until he or she knew their loved one has moved on without them. As for a ghost staying due to a premature death Ghost Psyches say, “… an angry ghost is another matter… Certainly people have been willing to endure tremendous hardship and great personal loss in the quest for revenge,…”(6). A lost soul could have met his or her death in an untimely manner and wants some kind of vengeance on the person or persons who hurt the poor soul. Jealous and angry ghosts both have emotional attachment to this plane of existence.

        The most astonishing case of a person dieing before her own time was the case of Zona Heaster in 1897. Zona married a blacksmith, Erasmus Stribbling Trout Shue. After their marriage on January 23 Zona’s body was found dead on floor of her home. Upon the doctor noticing marks on the back of Zona’s neck during his examination Shue became almost violent causing the doctor to stop the examine. A few weeks after Zona’s funeral her mother, Mary Hester, claimed Zona appeared to her. Zona’s ghost told Mary that Shue was abusive and during their last fight, he broke Zona’s neck and killed her. Mary reported her experience to the authorities. On July 1897, Shue was convicted and sent to jail after the new examination was completed on Zona’s body (Dattilo 1-3). However convincing this story might be one does have to question its truth. The story did not have any more proof than a mother who had a particular hatred toward the convicted. In addition, this happened in 1897 when most people would believe in anything. Could a sudden death cause someone to stay to his world? That answer would most likely be a no.

        Ghosts are real. While what happened to a poor souls causing him or her to stay on our plane of existence may not be known, there are still many theories one can go to for answers. There are too many records of unexplainable happenings to be able to disregard the possibility of other paranormal beings living among us. Whether the ghost stayed due to unfinished business, attached to a place, or did not want to move due to a loved one, they all have some sort of reasoning to hold them to this world. An imprint of the past and an untimely demise holds no logical reason to keep a soul wondering the earth instead of moving on. There are many possibilities souls are held to this world, but it is up to oneself to concur his or her own opinions on the matter.

 

© 2009 courtney


Author's Note

courtney
just tell me what u think

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on April 2, 2009
Last Updated on December 16, 2009

Author

courtney
courtney

meridian, MS



About
Hi my names Courtney. As of right now i'm a senor in highschool while taking college algebra. I have a wonderful boyfriend who supports me in everything i do. more..

Writing
!ESCAPE! !ESCAPE!

A Poem by courtney





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5