Fox

Fox

A Story by rabbit
"

Small piece of flash fiction.

"

When I caught sight of the flashing eyes on that little rectangular screen, your automatic grin hanging open in the suburban heat, I felt the thrill of the exotic roll through my spine. Never before had I seen you in the flesh. In the past you had always remained trapped behind a harsh screen or some sort of elaborate cage. Now you were here, flesh hanging neatly off of bird-hollow bones, the tail that was depicted as luxurious in the moving ink glorified now in the reality of its limp, rag-like scarcity. I prowled outside eagerly, imagining you as a motion picture in the flat sunlight, and you disappointed me. Your body was a skeleton wearing a fur coat and propped up on four legs. Your grin looked stupidly murderous, delighting in the pleasure of a lolling tongue coated in the red of your nourishment. The flash of your eyes was not only a trick of the camera; it was constant, two round coins of light perpetually suspended in your anxious gaze. It made you look greedy, like the raccoon that refuses to unclench its fist around the shining glint of metal that eventually leads to its death. You appeared frantic and covetous, and shrewd only in the ways that would satisfy your filthy cravings. You appeared human, in the most unsatisfying, base way. I watched you limp to whatever hole you clung to as your own, and the stars faded from my eyes. You were only one of us.

© 2012 rabbit


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very precise description, very subjective also. Facts mixed with interpretation. Judgment, unexpected conclusions. Intriguing.

Could you read mine if you have the time.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Very interesting write. Seems to tell of the hollowness behind the façade of personality. Contrived appeal which has nothing of depth to support it. Nice spark of free prose.



Posted 8 Years Ago


Very powerful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have a wonderful way to weave lots of description into a short span of ink. This tale really explodes in the mind with a tangible reality, as if the reader is right into the scene, a party to what is being seen and heard.

Very Creative!
Aaron

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow this is good stories are not my forte but i enjoyed and you seem to have put allot of thought into it aswell xx

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
rabbit

11 Years Ago

thank you :)
Ian H Morrison

11 Years Ago

you are welcome
Very good. Very good indeed. This is your forte. Keep at it... make it your own.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rabbit

11 Years Ago

this is definitely what I feel most comfortable writing. thank you :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2012
Last Updated on August 15, 2012
Tags: flash fiction, fox

Author

rabbit
rabbit

San Marcos, TX



About
An empathetic, self-pitying, generous, lazy, sensitive, indecisive, candid, capricious student who is always saying she's writing something when really she rarely is. I listen to a lot of music and st.. more..

Writing
Owena Tos Owena Tos

A Story by rabbit


Quandary City Quandary City

A Story by rabbit



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..